$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
5 5

364 posts in this topic

2,676 posts

It's heart wrenching that there seems to be more and more "comics stolen" threads around here. Can't imagine the anguish. 

I have no idea how "The Registry" works. Are you broadcasting to the world you got nice stuff?

Edited by NoMan

473 posts

This is so terrible. I know this individual and his sets are all here on the registry in the #1 spots.  How awful this is.

604 posts
1 minute ago, BAT MAN said:

This is so terrible. I know this individual and his sets are all here on the registry in the #1 spots.  How awful this is.

Truly terrible. A nightmare. There is no justice in this world. Why were these books kept in a storage unit?

473 posts
19 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Truly terrible. A nightmare. There is no justice in this world. Why were these books kept in a storage unit?

I would not know the answer to that. I have not interacted with Rand in quite awhile. He is a swell chap and to say he has a passion for comics, in particular Batman comics is an understatement. Years ago I helped him find some of the slabs in his runs and actually sold him a bunch of BA/CA 9.8 Bat slabs. This must be absolutely devastating for him. 

120 posts

Those bastards in Las Vegas probably inspired the creeps who did this. I feel for the guy, that's a hell of a blow. However, with his collection being so well known, and apparently meticulously documented, he shouldn't get much in the way of grief from the insurance company. For a collection of that value, please tell me it was insured...

210 posts

I saw it posted on IG yesterday, hope they are found.

Edited by SamPool

45,555 posts

Terrible.  Ps a 'burglar' is not a 'robber'.

4,081 posts

No freakin' way I would leave my collection in a storage facility. 

45,555 posts
2 minutes ago, newshane said:

I feel for the guy but I just dont understand.  I have comics because I enjoy them.  I cannot enjoy them if they are locked away somewhere.  If I had a book worth say 100K, yeah that would go in a safe deposit box.

2,784 posts

This is terrible. :sorry:

75 posts
2 hours ago, newshane said:

Not the good stuff at least. I think I could find room for an 8.0 Detective 38 in my home. 

45,589 posts
3 hours ago, kav said:

I feel for the guy but I just dont understand.  I have comics because I enjoy them.  I cannot enjoy them if they are locked away somewhere.  If I had a book worth say 100K, yeah that would go in a safe deposit box.

I keep all my books on a shelf in my room, even the ones over 100K. I feel for the man, and will keep an eye out for them. I just cant fathom keeping a set of books of that magnitude in a storage facility.

1,649 posts

This is a devastating story. I can't imagine what this feels like for the comic owner.

In New York State, most written agreements at storage facilities have a max cap value of $5000 per storage unit.  If you go over that, the customer is supposed to provide proof of insurance to cover the rest.  This robbery is a clear example of why this is a good idea.   Never put anything highly valuable, unique, or irreplaceable items in a storage unit.  

909 posts

Holy . Don't banks or the post office offer some kind of secure storage for valuable items? Better there than in a storage unit. 

909 posts

Heck, a friend of mine bought a defunct old bank building in his home town, replete with a working vault. I'm sure the vault was worth more by itself than what he paid for the whole building. 

45,589 posts
23 minutes ago, kav said:

what is your address/work schedule?

You've got my address, but I doubt you're going to get past my two German Shepards. Haha :wishluck: