$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
5 5

364 posts in this topic

11,643 posts
On 1/11/2019 at 10:47 PM, Mmehdy said:

put you you good stuff in a bank box, no matter how much its costs, yes it's a hassle, so what...

This is good advice and seems, at least to me, like common sense.  I have a number of different Safety deposit boxes, each at a different Bank to minimize risk. I don't think it's a hassle at all. I think it's fun to go 'visit Peter Parker', swap around a few books, etc. Each box can hold about 50 comics, vertically, and the cost is in the 125 - 150.00 area annually. That's really not expensive, is it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,511 posts

I go the Safe Deposit Box route, too. I fully understand and appreciate the attitude "What's the point in owning it if it's not there to look at it at a seconds desire?"  Doesn't bother me. Sometimes I forget I do own it. Don't have as many nice books as I guess Bomber-Bob does as I've only got one box. 

Who know's what to do? You got something somebody wants that's a scumbag, they'll try to get it

Edited by NoMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,875 posts
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:52 AM, Mr bla bla said:

Why were these books kept in a storage unit?

#1 question. You find the answer to this and you just may find the answer to everything, including where the books went. Squirreling $1.4 million dollars worth of books in a storage locker is usually something a complete novice might get away with, if he's got Lady Luck as a constant companion. But a consignment director? An advanced collector? Aware of the value? Aware of the risks of that value in merchandise? Stored in a locker? Especially when these books could have been stored where Pedigree stores their millions of dollars worth of books in complete safety, without an event? Or in an alarmed, surveilled home? Maybe even behind a false wall? I'm not accusing anyone of pulling a fast one at a time of loss like this, but it all sure sounds illogical to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 posts

This is really terrible. Valuable collections gone like that. I hope they are recovered soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
416 posts

But what of the matter of insurance? Will he be able to claim any?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,157 posts

My generic insurance policy for storage units limits contents to $5,000.  

I guess you could get riders, but it would be expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,875 posts
9 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

But what of the matter of insurance? Will he be able to claim any?

Were I an odds maker, I'd venture 4 to 1 odds that the books are fully insured by the owner under a collectibles policy specifically designed to cover any and all loss. Costly, but hey, if there's a 1.4 million dollar payoff for carrying a usuriously expensive and typically unnecessary insurance policy for 6 months to a year, then the payments are well worth the end result!

Were I an odds maker, if the event of the above scenario being correct, the books being fully insured, I'd venture 100-1 odds that they're never seen again, in the same slabs they disappeared in.

I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell. hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,134 posts
On 1/12/2019 at 2:35 PM, Bird said:

big swinging dikkie!

That's what the majority of these boards is isn't it???  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44,392 posts
2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Were I an odds maker, I'd venture 4 to 1 odds that the books are fully insured by the owner under a collectibles policy specifically designed to cover any and all loss. Costly, but hey, if there's a 1.4 million dollar payoff for carrying a usuriously expensive and typically unnecessary insurance policy for 6 months to a year, then the payments are well worth the end result!

Were I an odds maker, if the event of the above scenario being correct, the books being fully insured, I'd venture 100-1 odds that they're never seen again, in the same slabs they disappeared in.

I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell. hm

if so he might have lit a bomb attached to himself.  Ins Co have some of the best investigators.  Ex homicide detectives etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,875 posts
4 hours ago, kav said:

if so he might have lit a bomb attached to himself.  Ins Co have some of the best investigators.  Ex homicide detectives etc.

If the books are recently, fully insured against loss of any kind, I suspect the insurance investigators will focus loads of attention squarely on the owner/insurer. So far, we haven't heard any details concerning insured or not so as of know, it's all speculation on our part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
443 posts
On 1/13/2019 at 12:49 PM, NoMan said:

I go the Safe Deposit Box route, too. I fully understand and appreciate the attitude "What's the point in owning it if it's not there to look at it at a seconds desire?"  Doesn't bother me. Sometimes I forget I do own it. Don't have as many nice books as I guess Bomber-Bob does as I've only got one box. 

Who know's what to do? You got something somebody wants that's a scumbag, they'll try to get it

I just today moved mine to a safety deposit box. I already feel less cluttered in my mind, and I wonder if I’ll occasionally forget about them, like you. It actually sounds kinda nice. I left about 10 books in the house. Maybe I’ll ship those to CC and enjoy the free life for a minute. I feel like an empty-nester whose kids just left for college!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,401 posts
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, pemart1966 said:
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:35 AM, Bird said:

big swinging dikkie!

That's what the majority of these boards is isn't it???  lol

Not me - I shop at pemart too. :sorry: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,995 posts
18 minutes ago, WellWellWell said:

Except for the people that really like The Registry, they have little tiny ones.

well, it is the case for me and that has been the case my whole life, but I didn't actually know until I got to college! Maybe that is why I never felt the need to join the registry.

Edited by Bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,875 posts
1 hour ago, paul747 said:

The guy is a board member. I think.

And his forum nom de plume is.....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,401 posts
10 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:
2 hours ago, paul747 said:

The guy is a board member. I think.

And his forum nom de plume is.....?

Murders All Witnesses..., or something close, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,134 posts
On 1/14/2019 at 8:41 PM, James J Johnson said:

If the books are recently, fully insured against loss of any kind, I suspect the insurance investigators will focus loads of attention squarely on the owner/insurer. So far, we haven't heard any details concerning insured or not so as of know, it's all speculation on our part.

Insurance companies are in the business of making money.  They make money by NOT paying out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5