CGC says "No More Stan Lee Labels"
0

19 posts in this topic

28 posts

I resubmitted one of my Stan Lee autographed comics for a new slab (case). It was returned without the requested Stan Lee Label.

When I called CGC, I was informed that CGC no longer has the rights to put a Stan Lee Label on any resubmitted Stan Lee autographed submitted comics. 

CGC did not secure the rights to continue using the Stan Lee Label on autographed Stan Lee comics after his death.

This news is very disappointing :(

So beware, if your "Stan Lee Autograph Label" case get's cracked, chipped, pressed and regraded, you cannot get a Stan Lee Label anymore. Thanks CGC! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,174 posts
11 minutes ago, jmulli said:

I resubmitted one of my Stan Lee autographed comics for a new slab (case). It was returned without the requested Stan Lee Label.

When I called CGC, I was informed that CGC no longer has the rights to put a Stan Lee Label on any resubmitted Stan Lee autographed submitted comics. 

CGC did not secure the rights to continue using the Stan Lee Label on autographed Stan Lee comics after his death.

This news is very disappointing :(

So beware, if your "Stan Lee Autograph Label" case get's cracked, chipped, pressed and regraded, you cannot get a Stan Lee Label anymore. Thanks CGC! 

Interesting and thanks for the update. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,531 posts
6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Same guy complaining about the "1st Appearance of Stan Lee"...

First comment also happens to be from a popular journal poster.  All we need is an appearance from our favorite "to slab or not to slab" creator and we've got the holy Trinity.

Edited by ExNihilo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,052 posts
3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

First comment also happens to be from a popular journal poster.  All we need is an appearance from our favorite "to slab or not to slab" creator and we've got the holy Trinity.

:roflmao:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the posts last night.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196 posts
On 1/14/2019 at 5:28 PM, jmulli said:

Thanks CGC! 

How is this CGC's fault?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27,434 posts
On 1/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, jmulli said:

I resubmitted one of my Stan Lee autographed comics for a new slab (case). It was returned without the requested Stan Lee Label.

When I called CGC, I was informed that CGC no longer has the rights to put a Stan Lee Label on any resubmitted Stan Lee autographed submitted comics. 

CGC did not secure the rights to continue using the Stan Lee Label on autographed Stan Lee comics after his death.

This news is very disappointing :(

So beware, if your "Stan Lee Autograph Label" case get's cracked, chipped, pressed and regraded, you cannot get a Stan Lee Label anymore. Thanks CGC! 

I don't understand why CGC needs any rights to assign a Stan Lee label.  Isn't the Stan Lee label just an authentication of a signature on a comic and I would have thought the owner of the comic a signature is on owns both.  

Appreciate the heads up and will be very careful with any graded comics I own signed by Stan Lee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
425 posts

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that his image / likeness is on the label. Presume CGC had to pay to be able to use that, and the contract was only good up until he passed away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,949 posts
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, thehumantorch said:

I don't understand why CGC needs any rights to assign a Stan Lee label.  Isn't the Stan Lee label just an authentication of a signature on a comic and I would have thought the owner of the comic a signature is on owns both.  

Appreciate the heads up and will be very careful with any graded comics I own signed by Stan Lee.

You may misunderstandIt's not saying that any SS label signed by Stan will return without the "Signed by Stan Lee" designation.  There was a special label available for an additional upcharge which had a Stan Lee likeness (drawn by J. Scott Campbell) and a stock image of Stan's signature on the label.  It sounds like this special label is what is no longer available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27,434 posts
5 hours ago, Turtle said:

You may misunderstandIt's not saying that any SS label signed by Stan will return without the "Signed by Stan Lee" designation.  There was a special label available for an additional upcharge which had a Stan Lee likeness (drawn by J. Scott Campbell) and a stock image of Stan's signature on the label.  It sounds like this special label is what is no longer available.

Thanks for the clarification 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,936 posts
On ‎2019‎/‎01‎/‎22 at 12:49 PM, thehumantorch said:

Thanks for the clarification 

Looks like this

 

Stan Lee label.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 posts
On 1/18/2019 at 11:19 PM, CKinTO said:

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that his image / likeness is on the label. Presume CGC had to pay to be able to use that, and the contract was only good up until he passed away. 

I believe Stan's old company POW Entertainment has his likeness rights. Stan sold his stake and then another company bought POW. Stan tried to sue them back in 2018 from what I read but ended up dropping the lawsuit. I bet the contract with CGC for the label was only good while Stan was alive. If so maybe POW wants to much for his likeness. Either way it's a shame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
786 posts

I wonder if CGC will emulate "the other company that shall not be named", and start doing signature verification for unslabbed books with Stan's sig, ala COA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
425 posts
12 hours ago, oldrover said:

I wonder if CGC will emulate "the other company that shall not be named", and start doing signature verification for unslabbed books with Stan's sig, ala COA.

I hope they never do. While it would be another avenue for revenue, I like that CGC SS holds the power it does, and think adding a red label type sig verification label devalues that power somewhat. Yes one could argue that they’re different labels, so one’s potential incorrectness doesn’t affect the other. But given the value of yellow label is the integrity and the belief that it’s 99.9% legit, even a chink in the armor of another label (but still CGC brand)  IMO hurts the yellow label. It’s all built on CGC’s rep, and one bad scandal and the house can quickly come tumbling down!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174 posts
12 hours ago, oldrover said:

I wonder if CGC will emulate "the other company that shall not be named", and start doing signature verification for unslabbed books with Stan's sig, ala COA.

This will never happen (in the near future) because they would cannibalize their own market share on signature slabs. Once they open that door then they would have to do it for all signatures. At that point, is there any reason to pay the yellow label premium when you can just get them verified later? Honestly, who needs a witness? Signatures have been verified and authenticated in every other market. Only in comics do we need to walk together to the booth so the artist knows to charge you more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,750 posts

As if . . . meh

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 posts
On 2/12/2019 at 10:14 PM, MadJimJaspers said:

This will never happen (in the near future) because they would cannibalize their own market share on signature slabs. Once they open that door then they would have to do it for all signatures. At that point, is there any reason to pay the yellow label premium when you can just get them verified later? Honestly, who needs a witness? Signatures have been verified and authenticated in every other market. Only in comics do we need to walk together to the booth so the artist knows to charge you more.

this "red label" you speak of should be only IF you are crossover a book the was SS graded by another company  and now you are adding other Sig but you want it done by CGC

Edited by darth stryfe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174 posts
4 hours ago, darth stryfe said:

this "red label" you speak of should be only IF you are crossover a book the was SS graded by another company  and now you are adding other Sig but you want it done by CGC

I didnt speak of a red label but again this devalues the yellow label. They would be agreeing to recognize and verify another service's signature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,829 posts

Why does the label even have to be changed if it's reholder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0