Mask Comics actual pricing
6 6

188 posts in this topic

72 posts

I should point out the Target cover came after the Mask 1. In fairness one can't lay claim to illustrating over 1500 covers and not rely on goto design concepts. And L.B. Cole did come up with some of the most innovative covers in comics history.

5,411 posts
4 hours ago, GomerPyleUSMC said:

From a composition point of view, Mask 1 is a variation on a face close up.

Yeah it's a face close up, but it's a damned brilliant face close up!  What book did this before Mask 1?  Context is important.

72 posts
3 hours ago, *paull* said:

Yeah it's a face close up, but it's a damned brilliant face close up!  What book did this before Mask 1?  Context is important.

I'm sure Cole was not the first to use the menacing face as a focal point surrounded by floating faces and figures. Like other comic artists of the day, he was influenced by the cover art that sold pulp fiction, especially in their use of symbolism (e.g., Uncanny Tales and All Detective to name two titles before Mask 1). The interesting thing is post-war, the pulps moved away from this overt abstraction of good and evil, while Cole doubled down on this style. Why not? Designing a cover with faces can be quicker to design than a cover with a staged scene. It's understandable considering the huge number of covers he had to turn in throughout his career. This is not to take anything away from Mask 1, one of the highlights in his career. 

72 posts

Example cover by Virgil Finlay, Famous Fantastic Mysteries--June, 1942

virgilFinlay.jpg

2,525 posts
12 hours ago, GomerPyleUSMC said:

coleTarget.jpg

Also a classic cover!  One of the earliest I picked up.  Love it!

2,525 posts
9,602 posts
2,525 posts
7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Or if want want a higher graded copy and you are also patient enough to wait for another month, you can go for this copy in the upcoming CC Event Auction: :gossip:

thr3.58a.jpg

Very true.  The sale of the 3.0 may set the table for the 4.0.  Love this cover, so much I put it on a t-shirt!  :D