• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what to do with 90s drek?
5 5

63 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Which Image drek books are starting to  get hot?  I guess Image newsstand are usually sold pretty quickly since they can be found pretty cheap still...

I definitely wouldn't say "hot" from a financial standpoint. To my knowledge, none of them, really. But as far as a cultural appreciation, it's definitely increasing. People are no longer ashamed of those dire 90's days, and they're talking about it, which is cool. But as far as "heat", there's not much outside of the usual suspects like the super rare MAXX ashcans, newsstands editions, etc. I do see interest in some of those gold variants, at least more than I've seen in 20 years or so. And even super high print run books like Spawn 1 and Gen 13 1 do well in 9.8, especially relative to just how many NM copies are still floating around out there.

Personally, I've had good luck selling Image sets. Not amazing money, but when you can get them for 5 cents a book, and sell sets for $50-$75, it's not bad. Probably more work than a lot of folks want to go through, though.

Just now, FoggyNelson said:

90,s Derek to me is like returnable bottles, I know they are worth something but the time an effort to turn them is almost not worth it , I almost would have someone just take it away👍😷😷

I bought a collection a couple of years ago, maybe 2, maybe 3, can't recall. Nearly 40 longs, and it was ALL drek, pretty much.

There were some random books in the mix that sold for a decent price (multiple copies of early Mike Allred books like Grafik Muzik, Graphique Musique, Creatures from the Id, etc) but most of it was 90's Image, along with Malibu, Teknoverse, and the other stuff you really can't give away. There was a chunk of adult books, mostly Eros, that mostly paid for the whole collection, as well as Cherry and stuff like that, which always sells. But the overwhelming majority was worthless. 

However, it's my hobby, so I enjoyed working the collection. I was able to sell lots of runs for decent cash (even stuff like Youngblood, Team Youngblood, Bloodstrike, etc will sell in complete runs) but I'd say about half the the collection was truly valueless. Still, I was able to sell all of those (about 19 boxes or so) very quickly on Craigslist. The guy knew what was in it, but he still wanted them. Who knows why? He came and got them out of my garage, and I was pleased, and he paid cash. People really will buy almost anything, if priced right. 

So, yeah, absolutely not something a lot of folks would enjoy, but at the end of the day I really DID like digging through those boxes, assembling the runs, etc and I made my money back plus a nice profit.  But now, only a couple of years later, I wouldn't do it again. My enthusiasm for carting that many longs around has pretty much disappeared. I still love box digging, but I don't need the whole store in my garage. Those days are done for me, I think.