• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern - Selling Advice

11 posts in this topic

I recently inherited a collection, which is getting me really excited about this hobby. A large portion of it was Green Lantern, mostly modern, but I just pulled these out.  I'm not really a Green Lantern fan. I'd just like some advice on the best way to sell these. Should I sell them raw here? Should I get them graded (I've never sent in a submission). Green Lantern #87 & #89.

Scan_0002.thumb.jpg.bfc3c99f019baacbfe8bd07312941d4c.jpg

Scan_0003.thumb.jpg.adc50ff1e6a23d7e33688985dabdd574.jpg

1499994798_Scan_0002(2).thumb.jpg.bc252433a9e3ec7e617a920bb0055145.jpg

1752806439_Scan_0003(2).thumb.jpg.53525edbcb15e3185a2fef7915c557d0.jpg

Thanks for your time.

It’s probably best to sell here on the forums or eBay.  No grading necessary, probably not worth it.

Welcome to the world of comic book collecting. While you may not be a big Green Lantern fan, the two books you have are part of a historic run by the team of Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams (Green Lantern #76-#89). That run is nothing like the other 60 years of Hal Jordan stories. The stories are more mature and the art is stunning. If I was just starting out as a collector, I would try to find the other issues in the run and complete a set.

It is easy to get carried away with dreams of dollar signs when you see the values of books like these in high grade, especially CGC 9.8, which is virtually impossible to achieve on books that are close to 50 years old. Copies like the ones you have here are worth perhaps 1% or 2% of that 9.8 value. They are referred to as “reading copies” because you can read them all you want and not worry about lowering the condition. The vast majority of comic books published in the last 50 years are not worth grading, but many of them make great reading material and/or are fun to collect in sets. 

I tried this for the first time recently. I was kidding my daughter that I bought the bread for her and she was like "WHITE BREAD?" It has a slightly tacky feel to it pulling off the comic but I did not have much luck really removing dark dirt. And crumbs were everywhere!