• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Damned #1 - Label Issue or Tampering
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Just acquired a Batman Damned #1 Variant Cover SS by Jim Lee. My first magazine sized slab. Few things on the label look odd to me. Hoping for help in determining if it's 'normal' or someone tampered with it.

1) The grade is not pitch black. Faded or common color? 

2) Appears there is no seal along the entire top of the label

3) The top right corner of the label appears to have been sealed between the plastic

4) The top left corner of the label is not between plastic. It is exposed.

5) There are some odd markings on the back and top of the left side of the slab

6) The sides of the slab are not glued together. They are easily pulled apart.

7) The label number is in the CGC database

See pics.

Thanks for any insight.

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's a normal magazine slab :foryou: 

They use the old style case for mags, as they are larger in size (thumbsu 

Everything that I see is normal :) @ninjarobert

Congrats on the 9.9!

Sweet, thanks for the quick feedback! 

I was worried for a second. First magazine slab, first 9.9, and first graded Batman Damned... didn't want my first to be ruined lol!

9 minutes ago, ninjarobert said:

Sweet, thanks for the quick feedback! 

I was worried for a second. First magazine slab, first 9.9, and first graded Batman Damned... didn't want my first to be ruined lol!

Sure no problem :foryou: and maybe now you can see that the new case for regular comics had some improvements....

As the NEWER slab has the label over the top encased inside the plastic, because those can sometimes come off if your not careful on the older case.

The older case is less prone to "visible" newton rings, which is ripple like appearance from plastics touching, but if they do show signs, 1) it doesn't hurt the comic so don't worry 2) for presentation on the older slabs, because they have room on the sides, you can slip a piece of paper in between to adjust and to keep less visible ripples.....

It isn't however as sturdy as the newer cases and the label is different, and also doesn't have the info on the front label in the same spot as the newer cases..... just little differences....

I'm glad you at least got a 9.9 with this book, if it's your thing, lot of 9.9's and perfect 10's out there. :tink:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
tweaks

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sure no problem :foryou: and maybe now you can see that the new case for regular comics had some improvements....

As the NEWER slab has the label over the top encased inside the plastic, because those can sometimes come off if your not careful on the older case.

The older case is less prone to "visible" newton rings, which is ripple like appearance from plastics touching, but if they do show signs, 1) it doesn't hurt the comic so don't worry 2) for presentation on the older slabs, because they have room on the sides, you can slip a piece of paper in between to adjust and to keep less visible ripples.....

It isn't however as sturdy as the newer cases and the label is different, and also doesn't have the info on the front label in the same spot as the newer cases..... just little differences....

I'm glad you at least got a 9.9 with this book, if it's your thing, lot of 9.9's and perfect 10's out there. :tink:

this is info that probably you already know lol been a minute since it was all rehashed though, edited for clarity....

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

this is info that probably you already know lol been a minute since it was all rehashed though, edited for clarity....

Thanks for all the info. The new slabs are gorgeous and feel so sturdy. Hope CGC has plans to update the magazine slabs. Have a few magazines I need to send in!

9 minutes ago, greggy said:

They have been using new style labels for magazines for months

True :foryou:

This Batman damned 1 seems to have been graded before that though...

Thanks for pointing out that they've switched to new labels now, it's probably where the confusion came from...him getting an old label..

1 hour ago, ninjarobert said:

Thanks for all the info. The new slabs are gorgeous and feel so sturdy. Hope CGC has plans to update the magazine slabs. Have a few magazines I need to send in!

They at least have the newer labels now, I don't know if the case is also different or not, but your book is old enough to have the older label...