• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to find a reputable appraiser who will help me sell my collection

8 posts in this topic

I have a collection of just over 2,000 comics, most from the early eighties, but many silver and some golden age titles.  A few hundred are Archie/Richie Rich, but most are Marvel or DC Superhero.  I collected when I was a kid, and they are all bagged and cataloged.  My collection includes X-men #1 and other early old X-men, X-men #94 and many early new X-men, Iron Man #1, early Spiderman's, Spirit sections, etc.  I don't want just an insurance estimate, I want to get a sense of the value and help on how to sell this entire collection.  There are maybe a hundred books with values of over a hundred each (obviously some much higher), but there are hundreds and hundreds from that era that don't merit any special attention.  Whether or not to get a given title graded, how to sell the "normal comics", etc. is very confusing to someone coming back to this hobby after decades away.  I feel like I need help.  I also feel that this person would have to be local. How do I find someone in the Atlanta market who I can trust?  How much should I expect this to cost?

I was in your exact same situation last July. I decided to start selling my collection of about 12 longboxes of comics (we're moving south in a year, and I wanted to winnow it down).

Many were more modern, but I have a lot of Marvel silver age stuff, some of it pretty valuable.

I did not get someone to help me... I am doing it myself. Basically selling off later runs of books, and lower-graded earlier books, to pay for CGC-ing my more valuable ones.

I am now down to 2 1/2 longboxes of books all worth at least $20 each... plus about 100 slabbed books. Did it all on eBay (well, I sold one book to someone here).

And using eBay's features to determine sold prices of books, I can determine Buy It Now prices that are reasonable.

I've made some mistakes, but learned a lot. About comics, sure... but also about people and particularly about First Class and Priority Mail. LOL

Personally, I've enjoyed it. You might, too. JMHO. :) Good luck with however you decide to proceed.

22 hours ago, Russ Stanziale said:

My collection includes X-men #1 and other early old X-men, X-men #94 and many early new X-men, Iron Man #1, early Spiderman's, Spirit sections, etc.

Something else you can do... post photos of your unslabbed books in the "Spare A Grade" forum to get an idea of what's CGC-worthy. Obviously X-Men 1 and the like you'll slab, but some books you might not be sure of. People here are very generous with their grading experience. I've slabbed books I wouldn't have because of their guidance... as well as the reverse. :)

4 hours ago, faster friends said:

It’s not Rocket Science. There is no need to pay someone.

Do your own research. You can use eBay’s sold function to see what your books are selling for. 

You can sell your books here with no fee also.

this is definitely a solid option.

But it may depends on how much one values one's time. 

But I agree in general.  2000 books sound like a lot, but if you set a side a an hour or two per day for a weekyou'd have it done for free.  As for how to sell, you can sell here, ebay, craigslist/facebook/instagram, or consign to a dealer or auction house.  The best choice will depend on what is in your collection, what the grade is, and what your own financial and time preferences are.  Other decisions to make is what to slab and possibly press.

Or if you just want to be done with it QUICKLY with no effort or cost, you can field offers from local comic stores and take the best offer.  You probably won't get the best price, but they're the most likely to take ALL your comics, even the junk ones.  Just call the store, name your 10 biggest keys, and they'll send someone out to look at your collection.

23 minutes ago, revat said:

this is definitely a solid option.

But it may depends on how much one values one's time. 

But I agree in general.  2000 books sound like a lot, but if you set a side a an hour or two per day for a weekyou'd have it done for free.  As for how to sell, you can sell here, ebay, craigslist/facebook/instagram, or consign to a dealer or auction house.  The best choice will depend on what is in your collection, what the grade is, and what your own financial and time preferences are.  Other decisions to make is what to slab and possibly press.

Or if you just want to be done with it QUICKLY with no effort or cost, you can field offers from local comic stores and take the best offer.  You probably won't get the best price, but they're the most likely to take ALL your comics, even the junk ones.  Just call the store, name your 10 biggest keys, and they'll send someone out to look at your collection.

The quickest way is to give a few clues to your location. Board sleuths will figure it out and be at your door trying to get dem comics lickety-split.

Edited by Bird
I see Atlanta, time to start at one Peachtree St and gte knockin'

On 2/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, Russ Stanziale said:

I have a collection of just over 2,000 comics, most from the early eighties, but many silver and some golden age titles.  A few hundred are Archie/Richie Rich, but most are Marvel or DC Superhero.  I collected when I was a kid, and they are all bagged and cataloged.  My collection includes X-men #1 and other early old X-men, X-men #94 and many early new X-men, Iron Man #1, early Spiderman's, Spirit sections, etc.  I don't want just an insurance estimate, I want to get a sense of the value and help on how to sell this entire collection.  There are maybe a hundred books with values of over a hundred each (obviously some much higher), but there are hundreds and hundreds from that era that don't merit any special attention.  Whether or not to get a given title graded, how to sell the "normal comics", etc. is very confusing to someone coming back to this hobby after decades away.  I feel like I need help.  I also feel that this person would have to be local. How do I find someone in the Atlanta market who I can trust?  How much should I expect this to cost?

My guess is you have a few PMs with "offers" lol If that's the case, I'd like to apologize for all the ambulance chasers.