• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

So for me, the end reveal possibilities for the "Luke Skywalker" level cameo are as follows (along with subsequent reactions)...

1) Dr. Strange...ho hum. We know this movie leads there and at this point, seems lacklustre

2) Charles Xavier...yes mutants!

3) Magneto...see above!

4) Mephisto...still quite pleased as it just means the clues were not so hidden all along but we get a great baddie in the MCU

5) Ultron...intrigued. I don't care for him but I know many people do

6) Al Pacino as Mephisto but he appears as Pacino because we are in a world of TV/movies anyway so yeah that is how we "see" him....insane!

7) Reed Richards...cool but I think there is a better way to work in all of the FF at this point

8) Dr. Doom...see above

Edited by comicginger1789

Paul Bettany's interview said that he "worked with someone he always wanted to work with" and that while a lot of things have been leaked, this character reveal has not and it is exciting. He also adds they have great chemistry and he is excited for the scenes together. This intrigues me...because if it is some big baddie played by a well known actor, it means we actually see that and some decent interaction in this show (and not just an end credits scene). 

That or as Marvel has done before, they shoot random stuff at random times, with actors not truly knowing the entire picture...so maybe  Bettany shot a scene or several to be used in a later film. Who knows!?!

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Paul Bettany's interview said that he "worked with someone he always wanted to work with" and that while a lot of things have been leaked, this character reveal has not and it is exciting. He also adds they have great chemistry and he is excited for the scenes together. This intrigues me...because if it is some big baddie played by a well known actor, it means we actually see that and some decent interaction in this show (and not just an end credits scene). 

That or as Marvel has done before, they shoot random stuff at random times, with actors not truly knowing the entire picture...so maybe  Bettany shot a scene or several to be used in a later film. Who knows!?!

Didn't he work with Dr Strange already?

Maybe Lex Luthor will show up, that would sure surprise everyone;)

57 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

In a past interview, Paul Bettany has stated that the three actors he's always looked up to and always wanted to work with are Marlon Brando, Robert DeNiro, and Al Pacino. Brando is dead and I'm not sure comic book movies are DeNiro's cup of tea. That leaves Pacino who isn't above working in comic book movies ( Dik Tracy), has expressed interest in being in the MCU, and loves to play bad guys including the devil himself in Devil's Advocate. The popular theory is that Al Pacino will debut as Mephisto in Ep 8 or 9. I agree.

It's going to be Mephisto unless Kevin Feige feels he wants to completely throw away the basic origin of Wanda's children. Feige sticks to the comics for the most part unless there's a good reason to change things. I don't think China is enough of a reason to not use the character. It's going to be Mephisto.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

De Niro was in Stardust and Joker, so it would seem comic book movies aren’t totally beneath him. 

Countdown to the nit-picking as to why those two movies ‘don’t count’ as comic book movies....

Good point. I forgot about those. I still think DeNiro might be a little too gruff at this point in his career to play someone savvy like Mephisto. If either Pacino or DeNiro are Mephisto, it's probable that Multiverse of Madness might be the last MCU app of the character? Maybe like what's happening with the heroes, Mephisto's mantle is passed off to Blackheart for the Ghost Rider movie et al.

I'm assuming whoever the main villain is, whoever the actor is, that Marvel would have plans to have them around for other shows and movies. So they'd need someone they could tie into that - I'm unsure if DeNiro would go for that.

35 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

De Niro was in Stardust and Joker, so it would seem comic book movies aren’t totally beneath him. 

Countdown to the nit-picking as to why those two movies ‘don’t count’ as comic book movies....

I actually thought of Stardust as just recently Neil Gaiman noted it was one of his fun productions he was part of. He even did a watchalong of Stardust a few weeks back.

3 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

I'm looking forward to the end of the show when people can complain about every episode they've seen and say they hated it all along.

I'll go first--I'm finding solving the puzzle fun, but overall the show is enjoyable but not great.  The main re-watchability factor with it will be to go back and look for puzzle pieces I missed after we see the finished product, but I doubt I'll re-watch it because it's such an enjoyable ride like I do most MCU films.  There's also nothing so far that I'd watch Youtube clips of, and I do that for major scenes in most MCU films all the time.

2 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Also that book in her cellar is the Druidhic Tome bringing the villain Samhain (lord of darkness?) back to life (not Mephisto).

I googled "druidhic tome" and found nothing.  Did you mis-spell whatever you were referring to?

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I googled "druidhic tome" and found nothing.  Did you mis-spell whatever you were referring to?

Here you go:
=============

The Druid tome was an ancient grimoire of Celtic mystic rituals. At some point in past centuries, the spirit of Samhain was bound to the book. The book eventually ended up in Greymoor Castle in England. A sorcerer known as The Druid sought the power of the book, which brought him into conflict with Captain America. With the aid of a man named Cedric Rawlings, Captain America was able to defeat the Druid. He sent to book to his colleague Wanda Maximoff in the United States, hoping that she might be able to translate some of the arcane texts.

Wanda received the book on Halloween night in her new home in Leonia, New Jersey. Translating the passages partially released the spirit of Samhain, who believed that defeating the Scarlet Witch would yield complete and total freedom. The two fought, but Samhain's power proved resistant to her hex spells. She realized that he was still bound to the book, and that only be destroying it could she ever hope to defeat him. She cast the book into the fireplace. As the book was reduced to ashes, so too did Samhain's physicality dissipate.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 2.17.17 PM.png

13 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Here you go:
=============

The Druid tome was an ancient grimoire of Celtic mystic rituals. At some point in past centuries, the spirit of Samhain was bound to the book. The book eventually ended up in Greymoor Castle in England. A sorcerer known as The Druid sought the power of the book, which brought him into conflict with Captain America. With the aid of a man named Cedric Rawlings, Captain America was able to defeat the Druid. He sent to book to his colleague Wanda Maximoff in the United States, hoping that she might be able to translate some of the arcane texts.

Wanda received the book on Halloween night in her new home in Leonia, New Jersey. Translating the passages partially released the spirit of Samhain, who believed that defeating the Scarlet Witch would yield complete and total freedom. The two fought, but Samhain's power proved resistant to her hex spells. She realized that he was still bound to the book, and that only be destroying it could she ever hope to defeat him. She cast the book into the fireplace. As the book was reduced to ashes, so too did Samhain's physicality dissipate.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 2.17.17 PM.png

OK, apparently this character has only ever appeared in the Vision and Scarlet Witch series in the 1980s.  I just browsed the issues he's in, and I couldn't find any panels showing the cover of the book; the book gets opened to an interior page and he appears from there.  So I don't see how we can say that's what the book was.

Also the symbols on the cover of the book in the show are VERY different than anything I'd associate with druids, this goat-looking guy, or the Gaelic holiday of Samhain which shares this guy's name.  I can't tell what's on the cover, but it looks vaguely like two skulls, one right-side-up and one upside-down.  It looks quite evil.

However, there is an image of a goat's head on the wall to the right of the two symbols.  Maybe that's a reference to Samhain, but it could be one of the dozens of easter eggs there that at this point almost seem designed to mislead us.  Until we see MANY references to a character over and over I don't buy the ones where it's just one passing reference.

I'm surprised nobody has identified the symbols on the walls or on the book yet.  Surely someone has, think I'll look around and see.

11 minutes ago, jcjames said:

From Vision and Scarlet Witch #5

20210222_143033-1.jpg

He's only ever appeared in this series.  Your screenshot is from volume 2 released in 1985, but he first appeared in volume 1 issue 1 released in 1982.  That image HighVoltage posted is from issue #1.  I looked at every page in both issues and you never see the cover of the book in either.

Edited by fantastic_four

45 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'll go first--I'm finding solving the puzzle fun, but overall the show is enjoyable but not great.  The main re-watchability factor with it will be to go back and look for puzzle pieces I missed after we see the finished product, but I doubt I'll re-watch it because it's such an enjoyable ride like I do most MCU films.  There's also nothing so far that I'd watch Youtube clips of, and I do that for major scenes in most MCU films all the time.

It's a mystery show and as someone said earlier, once you know the answer to the mystery there's no need to watch again.

Edited by Comicopolis