Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
4 4

783 posts in this topic

74 posts
14 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

Who here thinks it will end up in the Lucas Museum? Or many Robert Rodriguez is the new owner.

I hope so.

1,844 posts

Kirby prices seemed weird 

1,389 posts

EQ... $3.2M was the number I had in my head and I thought we'd all be wowing over that. But that was before this guarantee stuff was visible.

1,389 posts

BWS coming up...

1,389 posts

Opus cover for $26K. Ouch. That's so low, I almost bid on it. (:

Conan 10 cover at $66K. Much stronger than I thought!

1,389 posts

Assuming they would even take it... Does anyone think Sotheby's or Christie's would've yielded a stronger result on EQ?

22,939 posts
6 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Conan 10 cover at $66K. Much stronger than I thought!

Never liked the Opus 1 cover. The Opus 2 is like a thousand times nicer. But, I may be biased. :D 

The Conan 10 cover only sold for one bid increment more than the last two covers.  To me, that's just normal market fluctuation; the sad fact remains is that BWS Conan is flat on its Cimmerian azz. 

5,413 posts
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Assuming they would even take it... Does anyone think Sotheby's or Christie's would've yielded a stronger result on EQ?

No.

Unless they wanted to make a splash in this market.

Edited by Nexus

1,389 posts
1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

The Opus 2 is like a thousand times nicer.

It's at least twice as nice. (thumbsu

5,027 posts
2 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I think Ha when it comes market share on interested comic art collectors....cant be beat..EQ hit the top price anywhere or any place

22,939 posts

I heard through the grapevine that Lucas probably wouldn't pay up for something like this. Just one opinion, but, if I was a gambling man, I would bet against the buyer being the Lucas Museum.  I'm sure that Lucas' reps were contacted beforehand, probably Mark Parker (Nike CEO), Robert Rodriguez and every other logical buyer as well.  

I'm guessing it ended up with either Jim/Heritage or a third party guarantor (if HA laid off the risk). One friend thinks the painting is headed back to Holly Frazetta, but, that's just wild conjecture at this point. I'm still thinking the lot was guaranteed and is heading to the guarantor. 2c  

22,939 posts
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

It's at least twice as nice. (thumbsu

I'll settle for 10x as nice. :grin:

But, seriously, there's no comparison. 

Edited by delekkerste

1,389 posts
5 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Let me clarify my question... by putting it not into a Comic Art auction a la the 90s, but rather the Evening Mods sale?

22,939 posts
16 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I bet the two houses would have taken it and placed it somewhere. Not in a Contemporary Art sale, but, maybe stuck in a rare books sale or American art sale or memorabilia sale or something like that. 

I'm sure they wouldn't have guaranteed it, though, and nor would they have beaten the price it just got. 

1,848 posts

Something tells me GDT winds up with the Queen.

1,637 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

EQ... $3.2M was the number I had in my head and I thought we'd all be wowing over that. But that was before this guarantee stuff was visible.

I couldn't beat 5.4 mil... but at least I've got my raggedy ol' copies of Eerie and Creepy. lol 

Edited by exitmusicblue

3,859 posts
1 hour ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

Interesting that Egyptian queen only just hit reserve ... 

With no other bidders (or any interest whatsoever based on "her" face) what it really was: a fixed price sale done very publicly.

5,027 posts
40 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I heard through the grapevine that Lucas probably wouldn't pay up for something like this. Just one opinion, but, if I was a gambling man, I would bet against the buyer being the Lucas Museum.  I'm sure that Lucas' reps were contacted beforehand, probably Mark Parker (Nike CEO), Robert Rodriguez and every other logical buyer as well.  

I'm guessing it ended up with either Jim/Heritage or a third party guarantor (if HA laid off the risk). One friend thinks the painting is headed back to Holly Frazetta, but, that's just wild conjecture at this point. I'm still thinking the lot was guaranteed and is heading to the guarantor. 2c  

Halpin did NOT purchase the EQ for sure.

3,859 posts
52 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

That's a hard fail.

45 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

No. Their clientele have no interest above $severalhundyk (as a speculation move only)