• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Anybody Ever Seen this DAVe STEVENS COVER ?

13 posts in this topic

No, I never had. A bio on him says his first pro work was in 1975. Nor do I find listings for the book or the company. I may be wrong, but I suspect his fans will be very interested. Nice find. Very cool, even if it ends up not being very expensive.

Hhmmm, I bought that as a kid along with Larry Houston’s Graphics 2000 The Enforcers books. I think I had printed letters in both fan ventures. Had several letters exchanged with Larry Houston and Carl Taylor (who did the Creature fanzine you posted) back then. Good times. Both were great with me as a young fan. 

Dave Stevens was out and about in those days. I saw him a number of times including with Kirby. Really sad when he died young...:S

On 3/30/2019 at 11:24 PM, Bargain Hunters Thrift Store LLC said:

Going thru old boxes I found this early David Stevens Cover !

Anybody else ever seen it.

Best Regards

Rene Nezhoda

creature1.jpg

I was looking at Dave's index of his work and this is not on it.  Which is not shocking because he appears to have left most of his early fanzine work off his list, and the Carl's Comics publication The Creature is referred to as a fanzine in the discussions I've seen of it.  

Dave also did only the inks on this cover.  Having said that, I think it is really cool.  Maybe not his "first cover," if that means he did the pencils, but certainly the first cover his name and inks appear on that I know of.  Dave did a lot of inks early on.

As far as I can tell, the first published work I've seen from Dave was 1971 and first interior story I know of was 1972.  First cover pencilled by him I've seen is the May 1975 fanzine up thread.  

On 4/5/2019 at 3:39 AM, bronze_rules said:

Very Cool. Has a Gil Kane / Tom Sutton feel to it.

Yeah, it is metaphysically certain that "Carl" used one or more Gil Kane-drawn covers or pages as reference when penciling this cover. 

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah, it is metaphysically certain that "Carl" used one or more Gil Kane-drawn covers or pages as reference when penciling this cover. 

The Gil Kane reference is pretty obvious to many, but the first thought (and hence reason I mentioned Tom Sutton) that came to mind was this cover...

2872cdd.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

the creature itself looks like it was nearly lightboxed from Kane, along with the dude in the sweet black vest in the middle upper right

1 hour ago, Sal said:

the creature itself looks like it was nearly lightboxed from Kane, along with the dude in the sweet black vest in the middle upper right

Same with the Kane patented nostril shot (tm) guy in the lower right. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy in the lower left was swiped from a Kane drawing of Morbius. 

As a point of comparison to Dave's inks of the Carl Taylor cover, here's a centerfold spread that Dave did in 1973, a year earlier, for the Nova Two convention book as a tribute to Eisner:

image.thumb.png.0f21ff0b5381c3524c6650871144c9d7.png

Dave's inks made Carl Taylor's pencils look better, but Dave's own talent was much greater.

On 4/9/2019 at 6:23 PM, bronze_rules said:

The Gil Kane reference is pretty obvious to many, but the first thought (and hence reason I mentioned Tom Sutton) that came to mind was this cover...

2872cdd.jpg

Tom Sutton had to pay Kane an up the nose royalty for this cover.