• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers abusing eBay feedback system as revenge for paying "too much."

73 posts in this topic

Almost all of my recent sales on eBay have cost just £1 in fees because of a constant stream of promotions. They will say, here are four days to list upto 100 items and if they sell in the first listing period then pay no more than £1 in fees, no matter how much the item sold for.

My most recent sale is a Ms Marvel #1 which I sold for £90 yesterday, last month I sold an X-Men #1 for £1,100 both times £1 final value fee (+PayPal 3%) 

I don't get it every week, every other week probably. It's basically no fees at all other than a PayPal handling fee atm :)

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

PayPal is fine with its 2.9% fee. It offers protection and PayPal will go to bat for you if there's a problem. What does Ebay do that necessitates another 10% of that fee? Provide a place to put photos and price? There are places that do that for zero. Zip. Nada. Nicht. There was a time for Ebay but that is past. Get with the times. Get rid of the mullet. 

Provides literally a billion eyeballs? Owns the space? Offers the ability to narrowcast your sales to specific people who are buying your product over and over again? Gives you the ability to move any product without concern? Provides a seamless seller CRM that is the envy of the industry, including fully integrated shipping?

Yep, I'm going to use a Facebook Marketplace sales forum, because I can get all of those things just as effecti...oh, no, wait.

2 hours ago, D84 said:

Then don't use them. 

For the 10%, you get a much wider buyer pool, who are more confident because of the buyer protection.  Ebay is a brand like CGC.  A customer pays more because of confidence in the brand.

Also, running a massive website like that costs money.  It is not a charity.

On top of it, eBay runs promotions such as x$ off or x$ back in eBay bucks.  These things alone have gotten me to make purchases off of eBay on books.  And also agree on the other auction houses.  They all charge fees or if they charge buyers premiums we factor that in the prices we are going to pay as well, plus on top of it, ones like HA also factor in sales tax as well.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Potential buyers will look at the "item as described" rating of 4.7 and pass. 

It is not just jumping through hoops to be a Top Rated Seller...it's that potential buyers will see that number, which is VERY poor, and not look any further...why would they?

You sell slabs. You have good overall feedback. I don't think they care.

I am probably going to get a zero from this guy on shipping time because I shipped it within the 5 business days stated in my listing, but he wanted it to go out in 2. Never mind that he will get it 10days before ebays estimated time as I am shipping it first class (at a loss to me), and not media or some such nonsense that will take 3 weeks. He seems very high strung. This sale is not going to go well. And it is on a book I already lost $5 on because someone never paid and I forgot to notify ebay.

5 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Provides literally a billion eyeballs? Owns the space? Offers the ability to narrowcast your sales to specific people who are buying your product over and over again? Gives you the ability to move any product without concern? Provides a seamless seller CRM that is the envy of the industry, including fully integrated shipping?

Yep, I'm going to use a Facebook Marketplace sales forum, because I can get all of those things just as effecti...oh, no, wait.

Well, I dunno about that, depends on whether you have a high strung kook buying from you

AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT USER AGREEMENT

We are updating the PayPal User Agreement, and the Combined Financial Services Guide and Product Disclosure Statement (CFSGPDS). These changes will go into effect on May 6, 2019. If you agree to these changes, you don’t have to do anything. If you don’t agree with these changes, you may close your account. If you close your account before May 6, 2019, the changes will not apply to you.

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement and the CFSGPDS

To review the updated User Agreement, please Click HERE.

• We’re removing the flat rate pricing for sending money to friends and family members who have PayPal accounts in a country other than the Australia and introducing a new variable fee of 5% based on the amount you send with a minimum of 0.99 AUD and a maximum of 5.99 AUD per transaction. We’re also removing any variation depending on the recipient’s country. 
  • We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.

A max of $6 paypal fees I can live with for F+F payments. Not returning fees paid to paypal when refunding (I always refund excess postage for example) is very uncool.

Ebay and Paypal Australia need to look at the benefits given to Australian/NZ buyers/sellers and then compare with USA/Europe. You guys have so many more benefits, its astounding.

I think being based in the Phillipines (ebay Australia) has a lot to do with it - they have such a low annual income (less than $8000 PA), that it probably seems obscene to them to improve ebay benefits when most buyers/sellers have an annual salary of $84,000 (Australian average). I understand that fully.

However - that doesn't seem to justify the extra benefits that other ebay countries get. We don't get point's or 'bucks', our free listings are way less, our listing content is heavily restricted (think Playboy,Mayfair etc), even ebay stores are much more expensive for fewer listings compared to USA/Europe.

It's still much better than any other online selling medium, but ebay does need to be equal worldwide.

2c

18 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

eBay is cheaper than NY brick and mortar real estate...