I got MY OA Grail today....
1 1

37 posts in this topic

800 posts
2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

They are expensive compared to regular pages, but...wanna bet? 

Hahahaha- Let me lie to myself for a little bit lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,712 posts

Congrats - I love a good story like this when the right art finds the right home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 posts

Great cover! Congrats on a grail! And I echo the sentiment - grail is what you deem valuable to you beyond the price. Especially in this hobby where things are one of a kind (for the most part...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,804 posts
On 4/16/2019 at 6:00 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thanks! I know it is addictive.. I already need to buy another portfolio lol. But this one is special I do not think I will be buying to many more covers lol

I have a bunch of empty Itoyas, let me know when you are at a NJ show (or comic art expo 4/28?) and I will get you one gratis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
800 posts
1 hour ago, Bird said:

I have a bunch of empty Itoyas, let me know when you are at a NJ show (or comic art expo 4/28?) and I will get you one gratis.

That is so nice.. and appreciated! the 28th I think I have a family thing but I will PM you. Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,804 posts
10 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

That is so nice.. and appreciated! the 28th I think I have a family thing but I will PM you. Thank you so much!

Yeah, so nice to have sold 75% of the 1000 pieces I once had. doh!

No problem, they are here so no hurry on my end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
357 posts

Nice. Reminds me a bit of 268.

And great job by the colorist with the logo behind the optic/mind blasts. Not many could pull that off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,016 posts
Posted (edited)

First off let me SAY I love this cover by Scott I left a comment on Caf and was blown away by it when I first saw it in the marvel previews.  What I ask below is only inspired by this thread- not intended to knock on the absolutely fantastic art day that this piece represents.

The question this thread raises in my mind is - can a GRAIL be a brand new piece of art? I always thought that a grail had to be either from a key book or from a nostalgia period (say a piece of art from your childhood.) Perhaps any piece of art you like or any piece of art over a given price point is a grail? Would love to hear opinions. 

Edited by Panelfan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
800 posts
28 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

First off let me SAY I love this cover by Scott I left a comment on Caf and was blown away by it when I first saw it in the marvel previews.  What I ask below is only inspired by this thread- not intended to knock on the absolutely fantastic art day that this piece represents.

The question this thread raises in my mind is - can a GRAIL be a brand new piece of art? I always thought that a grail had to be either from a key book or from a nostalgia period (say a piece of art from your childhood.) Perhaps any piece of art you like or any piece of art over a given price point is a grail? Would love to hear opinions. 

Thanks you and a very fair point and question. I think I explained it in my initial post... for me an ultimate grail piece would be a Jim Lee X-men cover (my childhood) or a Neal Adams X-men cover (my inspiration to appreciate the art of comics) neither of those are realistic for me. This piece being done by Scott who was a major part of the team from my childhood along with the correct subject matter and influenced by Neal makes this my grail which was within my scope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 posts

I think a grail can be anything you have been searching for, that represents something ultimately meaningful to you. So, if having a cover of all the X-men, in an awesome pose, done by a strong artist like Scott, that sums up a bunch of childhood memories is what Jay was looking for, this is definitely a grail! 

Fantastic piece and congrats!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
800 posts
18 hours ago, lrBuff said:

I think a grail can be anything you have been searching for, that represents something ultimately meaningful to you. So, if having a cover of all the X-men, in an awesome pose, done by a strong artist like Scott, that sums up a bunch of childhood memories is what Jay was looking for, this is definitely a grail! 

Fantastic piece and congrats!

 

Thanks and thanks for expressing what I seem to be having a hard time doing lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,737 posts
Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, Panelfan1 said:

First off let me SAY I love this cover by Scott I left a comment on Caf and was blown away by it when I first saw it in the marvel previews.  What I ask below is only inspired by this thread- not intended to knock on the absolutely fantastic art day that this piece represents.

Love the covers Scott is both penciling and inking. Makes you wonder why he wasted so much of his career just inking that Jim Lee bum. :insane: 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, Panelfan1 said:

The question this thread raises in my mind is - can a GRAIL be a brand new piece of art? I always thought that a grail had to be either from a key book or from a nostalgia period (say a piece of art from your childhood.) Perhaps any piece of art you like or any piece of art over a given price point is a grail? Would love to hear opinions. 

I suppose it's theoretically possible that a Grail could be a brand new piece of art - Frank Miller somehow rediscovers his best form, comes out with another groundbreaking, landmark book, and draws your family onto the cover to issue #1 where you will be immortalized for all time. OK, I can believe that new piece of art could be your true Grail. But, in reality, I think it's very unlikely that a grail would be a brand new piece of art - more likely such a piece would simply be the best/your favorite piece that is both available to you and that you can afford at a given time, IMO. Which, along with "any piece of art you like" and "any piece of art over a given price point" are Exhibits A, B and C of what does NOT constitute a Grail, IMHO.

Favorite piece that you own, best piece that you can afford, cornerstone piece in your collection, sure, but most would agree that "Grail" has a more particular meaning than that. 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,149 posts
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I suppose it's theoretically possible that a Grail could be a brand new piece of art - Frank Miller somehow rediscovers his best form, comes out with another groundbreaking, landmark book, and draws your family onto the cover to issue #1 where you will be immortalized for all time. OK, I can believe that new piece of art could be your true Grail. But, in reality, I think it's very unlikely that a grail would be a brand new piece of art - more likely such a piece would simply be the best/your favorite piece that is both available to you and that you can afford at a given time, IMO. Which, along with "any piece of art you like" and "any piece of art over a given price point" are Exhibits A, B and C of what does NOT constitute a Grail, IMHO.

Favorite piece that you own, best piece that you can afford, cornerstone piece in your collection, sure, but most would agree that "Grail" has a more particular meaning than that. 2c 

I would agree. My "grail" would be one of six covers from the Phantom Stranger First Series in 1951-1952. I doubt any of them exist anymore, but they were terrific. I particularly like the first one and the roller coaster covers.

 

image.jpeg.249aa56d6d88c2a8370a85a794a6ab08.jpegimage.jpeg.968734a98d52727e524c5a70229a325b.jpegimage.jpeg.54f17afb4d7def6e86ca186ef1427a35.jpegImage result for Phantom stranger first series roller coasterPhantomStranger#2PhantomStranger#3

 

image.jpeg

Edited by Rick2you2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,357 posts
17 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Love the covers Scott is both penciling and inking. Makes you wonder why he wasted so much of his career just inking that Jim Lee bum. :insane: 

 

Jim who?  

 

:jokealert:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1