• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 14 raw is this restoration glue?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

So I purchased a raw ASM 14 and received it in the mail today.  I do believe the previous owner had it pressed as it was nice and flat in the bag. 

So I open to inspect it and immediately notice that the front cover is sticking to the first page and back cover is sticking to the back page as well.  I forced it a little more open.  Did the pressing do this?  Or did someone previously try to glue the cover on?    Notice there are some suspicious spots along the spine that I circled.  Maybe glue?  

How does this affect value? Is this normal from pressing?  If it’s glue, will it lead to PLOD if I send to CGC?  Or should I return it to the seller?  

Help much appreciated! 

1st photo is front cover and first page still slightly stuck together. Suspicious spots marked.

2nd photo pressed where it’s still stuck together

3rd photo back page suspicious spots 

4th photo back page still stuck to back cover 

4A4751E5-57BE-47A8-9608-8CEEDA38F097.jpeg

48ADD6E0-42CB-4895-91DF-71E70BE87350.jpeg

6619D5E0-2160-4686-801C-9AD6D4A3FC58.jpeg

D7DC5301-535D-4888-84D3-E13AC53D93FF.jpeg

Edited by Bluemedgroup
Typo

2 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

So I purchased a raw ASM 14 and received it in the mail today.  I do believe the previous owner had it pressed as it was nice and flat in the bag. 

So I open to inspect it and immediately notice that the front cover is sticking to the first page and back cover is sticking to the back page as well.  I forced it a little more open.  Did the pressing do this?  Or did someone previously try to glue the cover on?    Notice there are some suspicious spots along the spine that I circled.  Maybe glue?  

How does this affect value? Is this normal from pressing?  If it’s glue, will it lead to PLOD if I send to CGC?  Or should I return it to the seller?  

Help much appreciated! 

1st photo is front cover and first page still slightly stuck together. Suspicious spots marked.

2nd photo pressed where it’s still stuck together

3rd photo back page suspicious spots 

4th photo back page still stuck to back cover 

4A4751E5-57BE-47A8-9608-8CEEDA38F097.jpeg

48ADD6E0-42CB-4895-91DF-71E70BE87350.jpeg

6619D5E0-2160-4686-801C-9AD6D4A3FC58.jpeg

D7DC5301-535D-4888-84D3-E13AC53D93FF.jpeg

Was the horrendously amateurish color touch and glue disclosed? And BTW, it's also trimmed.

As previous post mentioned, it has color touch bleed through on the inside cover - always check black areas of cover for color touch as it's the most common area to work on - and it looks like the color touch also transferred to the inside pages.

Buying books like this raw is dangerous.  There's usually a reason sellers don't bother to send books in to get graded, they have something to hide.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!  As you can probably guess by my post count, I'm a noob as I've only been collecting for a few months now.  Been buying 95% slabbed CGC books (about 40 accumulated now) with a few raw books here and there.  Saw this ASM 14 for sale on a facebook group and thought it was a pretty good looking book and I believed the guy when he said his phone takes crappy pics.  I'll give some benefit of the doubt to the seller, as he says he did not know about any of the defects either.  Obviously I don't have the experience yet to pick out defects, but I definitely have learned in the past to do all my transactions with Paypal G&S (which I did) in order to protect myself in case situations like this arise.   

19 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone!  As you can probably guess by my post count, I'm a noob as I've only been collecting for a few months now.  Been buying 95% slabbed CGC books (about 40 accumulated now) with a few raw books here and there.  Saw this ASM 14 for sale on a facebook group and thought it was a pretty good looking book and I believed the guy when he said his phone takes crappy pics.  I'll give some benefit of the doubt to the seller, as he says he did not know about any of the defects either.  Obviously I don't have the experience yet to pick out defects, but I definitely have learned in the past to do all my transactions with Paypal G&S (which I did) in order to protect myself in case situations like this arise.   

(thumbsu

HI, Seller here

I am pretty new to selling books. This being the biggest I ever had. I bought from what I thought was a reputable dealer(He runs a major comic book page) I had tried to minimize touching the books as much as possible. I trusted somebody and got burned. I was only selling the book due to medical  bills piling up from a injury> As far as my phone. Yeah im working on getting a scanner for any future pictures. As soon as the money clears I will be returning all but 250 dollars as the buyer has been gracious enough to accept that. I took a bath on this book and learned a lot of lessons.

17 hours ago, Mattleahy said:

HI, Seller here

I am pretty new to selling books. This being the biggest I ever had. I bought from what I thought was a reputable dealer(He runs a major comic book page) I had tried to minimize touching the books as much as possible. I trusted somebody and got burned. I was only selling the book due to medical  bills piling up from a injury> As far as my phone. Yeah im working on getting a scanner for any future pictures. As soon as the money clears I will be returning all but 250 dollars as the buyer has been gracious enough to accept that. I took a bath on this book and learned a lot of lessons.

Appreciate that you came here to 'face the music'.  Can I ask, where is the major comic book page?  Facebook?

On 4/21/2019 at 9:42 PM, Mattleahy said:

HI, Seller here

FANTASTIC! That is an EXCELLENT resolution! $250 for that book, in that condition, is a very fair price, I should think. 

Kudos to you! 

I would pursue something with YOUR seller, and, at the very least, if they refuse to work with you, they ought to be outed as a warning to other buyers.

On 4/21/2019 at 10:42 PM, Mattleahy said:

HI, Seller here

Having a Facebook page has never made someone reputable. 

Honestly, I was trying to avoid calling him out because benefit of the doubt, he says he got bamboozled from another seller who runs a website.  I'll definitely give Matt props for accepting a fair price and refunding the money, and even coming on here to fess his mistake.  I'll leave it up to Mattleahy if he wants to reveal who sold him the book originally.

3 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Honestly, I was trying to avoid calling him out because benefit of the doubt, he says he got bamboozled from another seller who runs a website.  I'll definitely give Matt props for accepting a fair price and refunding the money, and even coming on here to fess his mistake.  I'll leave it up to Mattleahy if he wants to reveal who sold him the book originally.

And I can appreciate that.  You're handling this well and Matt has stepped up and compensated you.

There's a few lessons here. 

-When buying expensive books buy graded books, especially if you're relatively new to the hobby and/or not experienced at restoration detection and grading.  There are a lot of flat out bad sellers out there, some aren't that experienced and some know exactly what they're doing and would sell their mother's false teeth if they could turn a profit.

-Just because they have a 'big' presence on facebook or anywhere else, it doesn't mean they can be trusted.  We have a local guy who buys off us and then 'features' those books in his facebook auctions.  He provides useless cell phone pics, provides no grades, and manages to sell the books for about twice what they're worth.