• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greg Theakston has passed away

15 posts in this topic

Larry Hama has reported on his page that Theakston passed away.  For those that are unaware his reference to refraining from making any editorial comment is probably in regards to Theakston's issue with the Kirby museum. 

Not a lot of folks get to lay claim to an entire restoration/archiving process being named after them (ala "Theakstonization"). R.I.P.

Did he write about obscure records, too? Someone with a name close to that wrote about weird records for The Nose magazine in SF. I dunno. Getten' names mixed up in my old age. 

EDIT: It was Gregg Turkington I'm thinking of. Regardless, RIP to Mr. Theakston.

Edited by NoMan

9 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Did he write about obscure records, too? Someone with a name close to that wrote about weird records for The Nose magazine in SF. I dunno. Getten' names mixed up in my old age. 

EDIT: It was Gregg Turkington I'm thinking of. Regardless, RIP to Mr. Theakston.

Gregg Turkington aka Neil Hamburger? That's cool!

The Nose, wow, that takes me waaaaaaaay back to high school. I know of maybe three other people total who would have any idea what you're talking about.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

The Nose, wow, that takes me waaaaaaaay back to high school. I know of maybe three other people total who would have any idea what you're talking about.

Yes. I spoke with him on the phone once at The Nose HQ there on Market Street in SF. The Nose editors had hired me to sit 24 hours straight in the Mini Adult movie theater on Polk, I believe and write about it. I made it about 4 hours and had to go break the news to 'em. Hamburger AKA Turkington did have a bit part in Antman, I believe. Good for him cashing in.

Anyways enough of that. RIP Mr. Theakston

Edited by NoMan

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Not a lot of folks get to lay claim to an entire restoration/archiving process being named after them (ala "Theakstonization"). R.I.P.

I remember that being used to create DC compilation hardcovers  in the 80s, such as ‘The Greatest Superman / Batman / Golden Age Stories’, but it involved destroying a comic book. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

17 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I remember that being used to create DC compilation hardcovers  in the 80s, such as ‘The Greatest Superman / Batman / Golden Age Stories’, but it involved destroying a comic book. 

Yeah, it was a mixed blessing because the archives were great, but if they'd been able to see just a little bit into the future and know that high res scanners were coming, a lot of great books could have been saved. Basically the process involved bleaching the color out, or something like that, right? 

19 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Gregg's also been involved in numerous musical endeavors, such as the Zip Code Rapists.

Greg has published a lot of information about the early marvel  sliver age superhero creation process..in his publications and I asked him how he did and get like the unpublished cover to AF15 by Ditko and he just smiled...great guy...RIP 

Edited by Mmehdy

27 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Gregg's also been involved in numerous musical endeavors, such as the Zip Code Rapists.

Not meaning to further derail the thread, but I'm also a big fan of Turkington's work with Tim Heidecker, On Cinema, all of that good stuff.

Ok ok, back to Greg Theakston!

His process was based on two ideas. One-- if you put a comic book in sunlight the colours except for blue eventually bleach out. I think we have all noticed this. Meanwhile, blue doesn't pick up well in older scanning/photography methods-- thus blue pencilling. Combine the two ideas and you're in business. 

I met him simply because 48 years ago there weren't too many people over the age of 12 who read comics. He was in Detroit and I was in Toronto. We were friendly at conventions in both cities. I haven't talked to him in 45 years. I am glad he had some success within the field. I think his fanzines were often well researched and a step above the others coming out at the time.

I hear that he was in a car accident.