• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there any doubt this is color touch - it isn't!, closed
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Please reply with your expertise and perspective on if this photo of a back cover of a recently purchased book reflects color touch.
(no back cover scan provided upon sale)

The front cover area where this wraps is, of course, black - a 1971 DC book.
(I don't want to smear anyone so not naming the book at this time)

I imagine it is obvious that the slab is CGC  blue908604620_GL83BCColorTouch.thumb.jpg.f39efa5f8f7ea02da3c31cf5068cf405.jpgblue...

Mark

Edited by mtlevy1
clarification

Its Saturday and most people are out. If the book was given a blue label then its possible what you see happened during production. If someone was trying to touch up the spine it would be a god awful job.

34 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Its Saturday and most people are out. If the book was given a blue label then its possible what you see happened during production. If someone was trying to touch up the spine it would be a god awful job.

Hi, thanks - so have you seen a production defect like this before?

I've definitely seen some similar printing artifacts that were on books in blue labels as well as on raw books which I examined with loupe and uv and couldn't determine it to be ct.  Seems strange to me that anyone would go that far onto the white bc with the sharpie in trying to ct spine creases.  Just MHO.

Thanks guys!

To answer Qs...Univeral Blue, only note on label is about a signature 'written on page 1 in marker' - so some chance that D++k Giordano rubbed his marker on the spine before or after signing :)

I have seen distributor overspray quite often but never looked like this and not in this part of the book

The CGC ID number is 1392177009 - not sure how to access further notes

To me, the fact that label is blue does not provide evidence that it is color touch or not - as that would be quite circular and essentially say CGC never makes an error which is not likely - especially in a process driven by people.

Looking for more thoughts!

Mark

Edited by mtlevy1

all sorts of things happen. This could be ink on the cover from any number of sources.

Since it is in a cgc case and is blue label and since this is extremely obvious visually...it is not color touch.

2 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Look at the lower left of this cover. Do you see similar markings?

GL83.jpg

It's those sloppy artists that can't color within the boxes!  :whatthe:

3 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Look at the lower left of this cover. Do you see similar markings?

GL83.jpg

Is this the same book in the CGC case? They both located in lower left and I count 5 strokes over the line on both books. 

7 minutes ago, KryptoMayor said:

Is this the same book in the CGC case? They both located in lower left and I count 5 strokes over the line on both books. 

It is based on the CGC number provided. So not colour touch, just the original cover art.

Verify CGC Certification

Certification Information

Certification #: 1392177009
Title: Green Lantern
Issue: 83
Issue Date: 4-5/71
Issue Year: 1971
Publisher: D.C. Comics
Grade: 9.4
Total Graded At: 40
Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Label Text: ""Best- Giordano"" written on page 1 in marker.
Grade Date: 11/28/2018
Category: Universal
Art Comments: Denny O'Neil story
Neal Adams and Giordano art
Neal Adams cover
Key Comments: Green Lantern reveals his
identity to Carol Ferris.
Black Canary appearance.

12 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

And another copy. Its on every copy so its not a color touch.

gl83b.jpg

Well done Tiger. So we're all agreed then. Somebody colour touched every damn copy.