• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Grey are between hobby and buying for value
1 1

103 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

when i was in my teens buying bronze comics off the shelves sure i liked reading them and collecting them and everything but i would have traded them in a milli-second for some vintage older golden age comics ,... but that was not possible back then... there was no eBay , heck there wasn't even any comic shops, there was only rumors of so and so's uncle who had a stack of old comics but we never saw any ..

so what i am getting at is i don't understand young collectors wanting the new stuff when , thanks to eBay and other on-line places one can get a great golden age comic that actually might hold some of its value if purchased prudently, and if they are buying them to read , there are more words on one page of a golden age comic than there is in a complete issue of many modern comics

The words are different to them.  They mean different things.  They relate to different topics.

The Golden Age books that would have been from so and so's Uncle, would have been more than just more words on the page though, they would have had stories behind them, no?

That is the meaning to my comics to me, it is more than the stories in them, it is the stories that go WITH them.

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The Grey are between hobby and buying for value

should be

The Grey area between hobby and buying for value

You wouldn't think a single letter could make that much of a difference, but it genuinely flummoxed me for a while. Couldn't for the life of me figure out who The Grey were and why they were so indecisive. Feeling kinda dumb now, but relieved.

10 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Seems fairly self-explanatory to me:

32uftk.jpg

That guy is clearly a cloned offspring splice of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. 

Disney is going to make some awesome X-Men movies. :foryou:

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

when i was in my teens buying bronze comics off the shelves sure i liked reading them and collecting them and everything but i would have traded them in a milli-second for some vintage older golden age comics ,... but that was not possible back then... there was no eBay , heck there wasn't even any comic shops, there was only rumors of so and so's uncle who had a stack of old comics but we never saw any ..

so what i am getting at is i don't understand young collectors wanting the new stuff when , thanks to eBay and other on-line places one can get a great golden age comic that actually might hold some of its value if purchased prudently, and if they are buying them to read , there are more words on one page of a golden age comic than there is in a complete issue of many modern comics

I agree with you from a collecting perspective.  However a lot of the Golden Age stories are hokey by today's standard.  The methodology of storytelling has experienced a radical departure from what was written and the style to which is was written in the 1950's.  Those books were meant to be contemporary to their time and not timeless and it definitely shows. 

32 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I agree with you from a collecting perspective.  However a lot of the Golden Age stories are hokey by today's standard.  The methodology of storytelling has experienced a radical departure from what was written and the style to which is was written in the 1950's.  Those books were meant to be contemporary to their time and not timeless and it definitely shows. 

you are somewhat correct.. but then you must take into consideration the ridiculous element of today's modern books which have introduced the one armed midget transgender Hulk

and all the other PC comics heroes which Marvel thinks is contemporary and mainstream for today's standards but really they are so far from it ... but still it doesn't stop them from shoving it down our throats

Edited by 1950's war comics

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

you are somewhat correct.. but then you must take into consideration the ridiculous element of today's modern books which have introduced the one armed midget transgender Hulk

and all the other PC comics heroes which Marvel thinks is contemporary and mainstream for today's standards but really they are so far from it ... but still it doesn't stop them from shoving it down our throats

I disagree with you on that. 

We could launch this thread into the usual boring tirade of Marvel shifting gears to express more inclusivity and their execution of that but someone is going to get butthurt over it.  If you want you can take this conversation with me to PM.   However, I disagree with you on this.

4 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Swap out "Golden Age" for "Silver Age," and your golden... or should I say silver :banana:

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

:applause:

18 hours ago, TwoPiece said:
18 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

How many times are you gonna respond to the exact same topic?

So you're admitting to spamming? Which is against the rules - as has been mentioned - ad nauseam.

Both of you need to ignore each other. Your bickering is not needed on this forum. Seriously, put each other on ignore and actually don't respond to each other's posts. You're not children.

Just now, Jeffro™ said:

Both of you need to ignore each other. Your bickering is not needed on this forum. Seriously, put each other on ignore and actually don't respond to each other's posts. You're not children.

I don't "need" to do anything, FYI.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:
3 minutes ago, Jeffro™ said:

I don't "need" to do anything, FYI.

I was wrong. One of you is a child