• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book tampered? eBay

82 posts in this topic

Even with the blurry pics we can see that the glue has pancaked outward from within, not administered from without in an inward direction.

1 minute ago, kav said:

But the glue/adherent/sealant was squished out from within-indicating that it was administered whilst the slab was in the open and ready state-

There would be no need from inside the case, there would be physical 3vidence inside the case that would give it away that it's been tampered with....

If that really is what we're seeing, I'm in disbelief that someone would think they'd get away with the thunder blunder from down under....

Just unbelievackable (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, kav said:

But the glue/adherent/sealant was squished out from within-indicating that it was administered whilst the slab was in the open and ready state-

Yes. Squished out, where the residue and excess could be scraped out, and squished to the inside as well.

Edited by James J Johnson

Just now, kav said:

Even with the blurry pics we can see that the glue has pancaked outward from within, not administered from without in an inward direction.

Do you think someone could apply glue from inside then shut the case and expect the adhesive to hold?

That's out of my wheelhouse...

That's even harder to do than it sounds...

1 hour ago, DomUga said:

Yup those pics came from the buyer. I guess he is OC when it comes to buying. I’m just gonna re-list and hope he doesn’t buy it. I have a bunch of 9.8s and this book looks way nicer. 

Thanks all for the feedback. 

Do you have pictures of the slab before you sent it to the buyer or from whomever you bought it from?  Comparing these pics from the buyer to older pics can give you a better idea if it was tampered with.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do you think someone could apply glue from inside then shut the case and expect the adhesive to hold?

well I had a flat flashlight similar in shape and i did exactly that and glued it back together the results looked exactly like this.

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

A cgc case requires a flathead screwdriver....to open

Glue or liquid cement on plastic does not..

Pry it open with your fingers and see if it cracks... no don't but you get my point

1 minute ago, kav said:

well I had a flat flashlight similar in shape and i did exactly that and glued it back together the results looked exactly like this.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
To open

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

The glue was applied on the edges of the seam, and when squeezed shut, naturally, the glue seeped outward to the outside and inward as well. I think those "tool marks" on the outside of the case near the corners were made with a vise. Looks like the type of markings consistent with that, a vise used to squeeze the seal shut, which explains why there's enough residue to be able to be scraped out.

Just now, James J Johnson said:

The glue was applied on the edges of the seam, and when squeezed shut, naturally, the glue seeped outward to the outside and inward as well. I think those "tool marks" on the outside of the case near the corners were made with a vise. Looks like the type of markings consistent with that, a vise used to squeeze the seal shut, which explains why there's enough residue to be able to be scraped out.

Yes but I don't believe the book was tampered with idk...

Would a reholder work?

Your sayin he undid one corner enough to apply glue so delicately and precis3 that I don't thing the case is that flexible...

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes but I don't believe the book was tampered with idk...

Would a reholder work?

Your sayin he undid one corner enough to apply glue so delicately and precis3 that I don't thing the case is that flexible...

Not flexible from one corner at least to pry open without cracks...

26 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

slab.jpg

I think the most telling thing is the glue 'on top' of the case.  It's possible that a post had been broken and someone along the line decided to put some crazy glue in after holding it open slightly and then using the 'vice' thing you're talking about.  I 100% don't believe it's a bait-and-switch but it's possible that the corner was loose and attempted to be re-glued - possibly by the buyer - and after seeing the mess opted to return it.  OR someone did this before the OP purchased it.  I still don't suspect swapping out for profit, but it's possible - with the old case style - that someone tried to fix a loose post and pawn it off as 'perfect' at some point.

Maybe buyer used a flathead to see if he could manage the case and when he could not applied the glue...

That seems more plausible...

In which case cgc might reholder 

Just now, Sensei Ryan said:

I think the most telling thing is the glue 'on top' of the case.  It's possible that a post had been broken and someone along the line decided to put some crazy glue in after holding it open slightly and then using the 'vice' thing you're talking about.  I 100% don't believe it's a bait-and-switch but it's possible that the corner was loose and attempted to be re-glued - possibly by the buyer - and after seeing the mess opted to return it.  OR someone did this before the OP purchased it.  I still don't suspect swapping out for profit, but it's possible - with the old case style - that someone tried to fix a loose post and pawn it off as 'perfect' at some point.

This (thumbsu

16 hours ago, DomUga said:

8049ED4C-B2AC-4C6E-ACB2-CA82CCE713F0.jpeg

A vise or vise-grip pliers probably made these marks at the corner with the glue and cracked post. The vise being used to seal rather than to open. If the slab was tampered with externally, in an effort to tamper internally, a vise/vise-grip would not be the means to do that. But it was used to apply pressure to seal with glue at that corner.

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Maybe buyer used a flathead to see if he could manage the case and when he could not applied the glue...

That seems more plausible...

In which case cgc might reholder 

Yes. Most likely scenario based on the evidence; the images. An aborted and unsuccessfully attempted tampering, followed by an attempt to reseal the breached corner with glue and a vise grips. .

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

A vise or vise-grip pliers probably made these marks at the corner with the glue and cracked post. The vise being used to seal rather than to open. If the slab was tampered with externally, in an effort to tamper internally, a vise/vise-grip would not be the means to do that. But it was used to apply pressure to seal with glue at that corner.

But...why not use a clamp that would apply pressure and not mar the case? Or if that's all they had, place cloth between the tool & plastic to avoid damage... Could chalk it all up to lack of skills I suppose, but not how I would go about it (I never have btw). 

1 minute ago, Callaway29 said:

But...why not use a clamp that would apply pressure and not mar the case? Or if that's all they had, place cloth between the tool & plastic to avoid damage... Could chalk it all up to lack of skills I suppose, but not how I would go about it (I never have btw). 

Cloth, foam, anything to prevent the marring. Probably the first time somebody tried that, thus like any first time, always lessons to be learned from miscalculations.