• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scooby Doo 1 is now a top BA key. $2600 today....
1 1

51 posts in this topic

How about the Flintstones, the first prime time cartoon show in American television history?  Their first comic book appearance is in Dell Giant #48 shown below, but it's Flintstones #2 (1961) that's really scarce in high grade, with only one 9.2, one 9.0, and one 8.5 copy on the census.

3139124%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

1 hour ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

I have to agree with you on this one.

Now is a great time to be buying Mike "The Situation" signed comic books.

I hope you already got your SS copies. He's headed to the big house.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

The better example is probably Star Trek #1, also from Gold Key, also a comic book that appeared AFTER the television show, also a 1960s creation that still has millions of followers even today.

CGC 8.0 Star Trek #1 (Gold Key, 1967) = $725

CGC 8.0 Scooby Doo #1 (Gold Key, 1970) = $2,250

Seems like one of these two is a little "too cheap" and I don't think it's the one that's 3 times more expensive. lol

Well, if you are going to think like this, then how about this copy of Star Trek #1 then:

sta5.448a.jpg

Sold for $40,500 in a CC auction back in 2015.  Of course, it's not quite in the same grade, but still kind of a shicker when I first saw the final price.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

The better example is probably Star Trek #1, also from Gold Key, also a comic book that appeared AFTER the television show, also a 1960s creation that still has millions of followers even today.

CGC 8.0 Star Trek #1 (Gold Key, 1967) = $725

CGC 8.0 Scooby Doo #1 (Gold Key, 1970) = $2,250

Seems like one of these two is a little "too cheap" and I don't think it's the one that's 3 times more expensive. lol

Yeah, I think there's a problem with your analysis here.

First, the "first appearance" of a non-comic originated property in a comic book is no where near as important as the first appearance of a comic book originated property that goes on to success in other mediums.  It's just not that big a deal to buyers that a comic has the first "Robin Hood," first "Three Musketeers," or even first "Tarzan."  This is true for the many TV inspired comics.

Second, quality matters.  The early issues of Star Trek suck.  Scooby Doo, on the other hand, translated well to comics.  

So I would not say that just because Star Trek is a bigger pop culture phenomena than Scooby Doo it is worth more.  The reality is that many high valued comics are not pop culture phenomena at all - they are just valued by comic collectors.

16 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

First, the "first appearance" of a non-comic originated property in a comic book is no where near as important as the first appearance of a comic book originated property that goes on to success in other mediums.  It's just not that big a deal to buyers that a comic has the first "Robin Hood," first "Three Musketeers," or even first "Tarzan."  This is true for the many TV inspired comics.

Second, quality matters.  The early issues of Star Trek suck.  Scooby Doo, on the other hand, translated well to comics.  

So I would not say that just because Star Trek is a bigger pop culture phenomena than Scooby Doo it is worth more.  The reality is that many high valued comics are not pop culture phenomena at all - they are just valued by comic collectors.

There's definitely a "continuum" of first comic appearances, where one extreme is something appearing beside the other medium (such as Star Wars #1 and the 1977 movie) compared to something hundreds (or thousands) of years later (Classics Illustrated first comic appearance for Odysseus) at the other extreme.

Scooby Doo and Star Trek are much closer to the Star Wars example than Robin Hood, Three Musketeers, and Tarzan, particularly since Scooby Doo and Star Trek first comic book appearances were only about a year into the existence of the characters, over 50 years ago.

Properties that go beyond their original medium, such as Star Trek, often become well-known for other types collectibles, and we should note that the popular Mego line was introduced 7 years after the first Star Trek comic.

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

How about the Flintstones, the first prime time cartoon show in American television history?  Their first comic book appearance is in Dell Giant #48 shown below, but it's Flintstones #2 (1961) that's really scarce in high grade, with only one 9.2, one 9.0, and one 8.5 copy on the census.

3139124%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

I was thinking about the Flintstones the other day. Great franchise. I loved it as a kid and still do but it hasn't been very active lately. A few weeks ago, I saw a Flintstones cereal commercial on TV and it occurred to me that most kids these days, if they even know who the Flintstones are, are more familiar with the cereal than the cartoon and it's place in history. Scooby Doo does not suffer from that lack of recognition.  

I kind of think of it this way.

Mickey Mouse the old stalwart like Superman.

Scooby Doo the new kid on the block like Spider-Man.

At one time Superman was the big thing until along came Spider-Man.

Same thing with Mickey Mouse being the king until Scooby Doo came on the scene.

The thing with Flinstones is they haven't done much with the ip lately compared to Scooby Doo.

It could be a huge sleeper though because I was reading somewhere where the Flintstones movie in the 1990s was one of the top grossing pictures at the box office that decade. So yeah with this 1990s nostalgic craze going on with Jurassic Park,Pokemon and Power Rangers we could see Flintstones being huge again.

17 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The thing with Flinstones is they haven't done much with the ip lately compared to Scooby Doo.

It could be a huge sleeper though because I was reading somewhere where the Flintstones movie in the 1990s was one of the top grossing pictures at the box office that decade. So yeah with this 1990s nostalgic craze going on with Jurassic Park,Pokemon and Power Rangers we could see Flintstones being huge again.

Seems like there's already been a recent craze related to a loud guy with a wife much better looking than he is, who often says "huge" and "again" and is commonly associated with the color orange. hm

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Seems like there's already been a recent craze related to a loud guy with a wife much better looking than he is, who often says "huge" and "again" and is commonly associated with the color orange. hm

(tsk)

Fred doesn't deserve that.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you are going to think like this, then how about this copy of Star Trek #1 then:

sta5.448a.jpg

Sold for $40,500 in a CC auction back in 2015.  Of course, it's not quite in the same grade, but still kind of a shicker when I first saw the final price.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I think it's the back cover that's driving the demand -- Kirk was prescient in vaping decades ahead of his time! :roflmao:

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't imagine a 9.8 Scooby #1...if such a thing existed...would have too much trouble passing $50,000 in this market.

You are correct.  I would be a legitimate buyer at $50K+

There is no comic book series, TV show or movie that resonates with me more than Scooby Doo.  For a time, I had the highest grades GK Scooby Doo #1 and mistakenly sold it thinking another one will come along in fairly rapid succession...it’s been 16 years and I’m still waiting.