• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inherited large collection of Silver and Bronze age comics whats should process should I do first to sell?

23 posts in this topic

Inherited large collection of Silver and Bronze age comics whats should process should I do first to sell? I will posting pics up on this forum more and more has I go though them. I want to grade the ones that are worth grading and sells raw as well and sells in sets as well. There many numbers ones and first appearances in collections. Some are in better condition than others. Also what benefits the $299 membership offer opposed the $149 besides the obviously stated.

I would say you’ll get better answers w more specifics.  How many comics or boxes of comics? what are some sample titles? What do you already know about comics or selling comics?  What country are you in?  Do you know how to grade?  

Mare you interested more in working to maximize profit or would a quicker turnover be preferred?

generally, make a list and check prices against eBay sold listings.  Or you can take group pics of comics and post them here, and people will tell you which might have value.

I would catalog the comics as best as I could and look at the titles and which one you might think are expensive and research from there, you can sell on the boards, eBay, 3rd party auction sites, etc... 

As @revat said it depends on what you want to do and what your goal is. 

First, get a copy of Overstreet which will help you know which books have higher values than others. In General, Overstreet tends to make you believe your books are higher grade than they really are. The only final arbiter of true grade is having a book "Slabbed" in a sealed container with the assigned grade. That essentially monetizes the book but can be expensive to do. Given the scale of the collection will help determine how you want to sell them off.  It's certainly easiest to sell the whole thing at once, to a dealer and you can find references on that in the Kudos section. If you decide to try to sell them one at a time, it can take years. IMHO selling on Ebay is a pain. 

I sold my collection about two years ago and I bought almost all on the newsstand in the '60's and '70's. I had a few real jewels in the 950 books and a lot of #1's. . I kept all my Journey into Mystery and Thor but the other pile did add up to a pretty penny.  Buyer interest is really going to depend on condition and scarcity. I spent about 6 months just grading and asking dumb questions before pulling the trigger. I'd advise caution. This site is made up of a lot of flippers whose interest is to buy low and sell high.  Your Private message board is going to light right up once you start to say what you have.  Once you have done the basic chores, then the process can be refined. I joined the CGC and never used the service since my high value stuff went to cleaners and pressers prior to grading and slabbing and they would not apply those outsourced slabbing costs to my account. 

First of all sorry for your loss.  Secondly congratulations on your gift.  If you are not into comics you might not have the patience to sell them.  I am in the same situation as you since last year, but I have decided to keep the books and pass them on, but I only have 120 books and I did collect as a kid.  Pressing and slabbing silver age books can be expensive so be warned, yes you will actually have to pay money to get a return.  Or, you can just let somebody else handle it all for you as suggested.  If you don't know how to grade your books you could go upside down.  Start with a copy of Overstreet and see what you have first, it is good advice.

where can we bet if this dude comes back?

Thanks guys for all the info so far I’m here and I am real I’m from Texas. I’ve been busy with other things and started going over some of the comics.... I have 60s thor from volume 1 ... iron man number 1 and a lot of early sets , X-men, avengers, Black Panther, silver age to Bronze Age and DC mixed in too..... it’s like over 1500. Mostly a lot of 5s I’d say of course there’s some better exceptions and worse. I’ve been posting some in “hey can I get a grade”  Im still learning the chat boards well. I understand not all is worth grading I am interested in selling some raw for fair price to make some money to grade the keys comics.u

1701CF69-94AA-4E00-BAF0-0BB1AF7E4DB4.jpeg

1E262F48-F252-4B10-95EF-B1AF13FE7506.png

F980D2ED-8DF7-4E77-A1B8-6878D9AFF1CC.jpeg

3CF47590-875E-48A7-9EFF-DE3F9D8420F4.jpeg

945B8DBB-B203-4404-95CB-FE8E6B988068.jpeg

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

First, get a copy of Overstreet which will help you know which books have higher values than others. In General, Overstreet tends to make you believe your books are higher grade than they really are. The only final arbiter of true grade is having a book "Slabbed" in a sealed container with the assigned grade. That essentially monetizes the book but can be expensive to do. Given the scale of the collection will help determine how you want to sell them off.  It's certainly easiest to sell the whole thing at once, to a dealer and you can find references on that in the Kudos section. If you decide to try to sell them one at a time, it can take years. IMHO selling on Ebay is a pain. 

I sold my collection about two years ago and I bought almost all on the newsstand in the '60's and '70's. I had a few real jewels in the 950 books and a lot of #1's. . I kept all my Journey into Mystery and Thor but the other pile did add up to a pretty penny.  Buyer interest is really going to depend on condition and scarcity. I spent about 6 months just grading and asking dumb questions before pulling the trigger. I'd advise caution. This site is made up of a lot of flippers whose interest is to buy low and sell high.  Your Private message board is going to light right up once you start to say what you have.  Once you have done the basic chores, then the process can be refined. I joined the CGC and never used the service since my high value stuff went to cleaners and pressers prior to grading and slabbing and they would not apply those outsourced slabbing costs to my account. 

Thanks man we sound to be similar situations I’ve only had access to the comics for about a month and I would like to maximize the revenue out of the comics I’m not in a hurry to take any low ball offers unless it fair. Yea I’ve already gotten a few private messages. I have a lot of 5s and I haven’t officially joined cgc yet just wanted to see what’s out there.

B99EBCA7-340B-4338-9068-8FE3A8EA89A8.jpeg

A25B226E-3440-42E5-BB39-D98F49160150.jpeg

40A027FE-4EC6-4936-972B-5F0AE0DCDCCD.jpeg

3F91C4F4-D128-4992-9C40-D8A017C41B4A.jpeg

DE6B353C-2055-49D5-A83C-1634576D2697.jpeg

5C84AD03-3824-4D0F-8803-713DF7048A3B.jpeg

AE43D4EB-728B-47D9-BDA4-0A249E8CB7C1.jpeg

It looks like you have some decent books.  As your first mini investment in this process you may want to invest in some Mylite 2 mylar bags and backing boards.  Older books are bigger so I suggest you go big because there are like ten different sizes of each.  You don't want the book or cardboard to be too tight.  That storage is pretty bad.  On the plus side your boxes are probably ok.  OR like the other guys said, don't spend a dime and just ship em all out and let a seller do it all for you.  All 5's hmmm, don't get your big buck hopes up but it may still be fun to muck around with them...

100 % on getting backer boards and good mylars for each comic. That storage is worse than mine was. It eats corners alive.  All backers and bags can be ordered on Amazon as can proper boxes for those books. 

I agree, 5's aren't so hot unless you are back in 10 and 12 cent material and then condition speaks money.  Again, get Overstreet.  Early books in .10-12 cents add up but I don't see that here much. I see the transition from 15-20 cent copies actually more than you might want.  You could even divide out that price structure initially to give you a sense of the material.  Do go slow.  When I sold those less than interesting books but were still worthy, they went to a dealer for $3.75 a book to give you a ballpark but again, there were tons. . Better books brought far better prices but you will need to really pour over the Overstreet to get a sense of that. 

In the end, I was really pleased with the dealer I chose. 

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

It looks like you have some decent books.  As your first mini investment in this process you may want to invest in some Mylite 2 mylar bags and backing boards.  Older books are bigger so I suggest you go big because there are like ten different sizes of each.  You don't want the book or cardboard to be too tight.  That storage is pretty bad.  On the plus side your boxes are probably ok.  OR like the other guys said, don't spend a dime and just ship em all out and let a seller do it all for you.  All 5's hmmm, don't get your big buck hopes up but it may still be fun to muck around with them...

Yea I got comic sleeves and boards already .... everything happend month ago so I’m trying to go through them and put them up better... just going through green arrow and green lantern potential 6s.

image.jpg

Learn to navigate mycomicshop.com. You can see what they are selling a particular book for, and also what they are paying for the same books. You can also search their auctions to see what books went for. It's an invaluable tool.

8 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Learn to navigate mycomicshop.com. You can see what they are selling a particular book for, and also what they are paying for the same books. You can also search their auctions to see what books went for. It's an invaluable tool.

I’ve been using comic price guide anew grading on lower end and writing it down