• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No doubt I am late to the party but please explain Mile High's Ebay prices
1 1

58 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Is it possible Milehigh’s high dollar listings have that feature where the price reduces by a few percent every few weeks until it sells?

I watched a few of his books over a year ago. He has a weird pricing structure. There are three different price levels that books cycle through (low, medium, high). When listings used to expire after 30 days, the same book would get relisted at the next level in the sequence. So if you saw a book for $20, you'd have to wait to figure out where it was in the cycle. It might turn out that $20 is the low, and the next time it relists, it might be $40. And when it doesn't sell at $40, it will relist at $60. After $60, it relists at $20 again.

Now that listings are GTC, I don't know how it works anymore. But I used the knowledge of the cycle to get books at the cheapest he'd list them.

Just wait till Chuck starts pricing his drek at "what he thinks it will be worth in the future".

giphy (14).gif

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

The drek is already overpriced. I’d never buy a long run of a dollar series off him, but if I need a handful to complete a series the convenience is worth spending $3 on a $1 comic 

One word: My Comic Shop

43 minutes ago, stock_rotation said:

I watched a few of his books over a year ago. He has a weird pricing structure. There are three different price levels that books cycle through (low, medium, high). When listings used to expire after 30 days, the same book would get relisted at the next level in the sequence. So if you saw a book for $20, you'd have to wait to figure out where it was in the cycle. It might turn out that $20 is the low, and the next time it relists, it might be $40. And when it doesn't sell at $40, it will relist at $60. After $60, it relists at $20 again.

Now that listings are GTC, I don't know how it works anymore. But I used the knowledge of the cycle to get books at the cheapest he'd list them.

I’ve seen other dealers doing this on eBay too. Baffles me...can someone help explain the logic to me?

10 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I’ve seen other dealers doing this on eBay too. Baffles me...can someone help explain the logic to me?

I'm not sure if you mean raising prices on something that doesn't sell? 

If so, I think it is a sound strategy, and used by quite a few.  Sometimes price creates desirability in some consumers.  I have a large "watch list" on eBay, and sellers raise prices all the time upon relisting, and sometimes that works to lure in a sale.

Another aspect of eBay auctions that creates desirability is other bidders.  Often, the more bidders, the higher the final price.  Auctions with few to no bids are "suspicious".

Off of his website he has no direct competition other than other websites so he probably hopes a.) local buyers don't know better b.) people aren't doing their research.  For eBay you can't be 40% higher than the next closest price or you would never sell the item because here if you search a comic and two show up with vastly different prices which one will sell?

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

If so, I think it is a sound strategy, and used by quite a few.  Sometimes price creates desirability in some consumers.  I have a large "watch list" on eBay, and sellers raise prices all the time upon relisting, and sometimes that works to lure in a sale.

Another aspect of eBay auctions that creates desirability is other bidders.  Often, the more bidders, the higher the final price.  Auctions with few to no bids are "suspicious".

Well, doesn’t work on me...

6 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Well, doesn’t work on me...

Yeah - me either.  I think many around here are well steeped in pricing, condition, research, etc.  Others, not so much.

8 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Drugs are bad, m'kay.

It's like you're channeling Bloodhound Gang.  I was just listening to that album last night while putting comics away.  I might have to go listen to it again, now. :headbang: 

12 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Drugs are bad, m'kay.

Well,depends.Seems some that folk had mania over are turning out to be just fine and can have medicinal uses like the ones so recently legalized in Colorado.Imagine,helping to ease depression and some other mental health issues by microdosing with magic mushrooms!

All of my often used searches have filtered out anything sold by Mile High. They put zero effort into the listings, you cannot trust their grading, their prices are obscene, they take forever to ship anything, half the time they cancel an order because it is out of stock, and they are still operating their business using the tactics that were in place in the early 1980s.

But here is the thing-- as many books as they claim to have (and I won't dispute that they might have that many) -- most are just junk. If his entire inventory went up in flames-- it would not impact the comic market place in the slightest bit imo. I have to think that is the ultimate plan Over value the inventory for decades--- then let the place burn to the ground and get a really nice insurance check. I'm not sure why he waiting so long to do that part-- the only thing I can think of is that he is a mob front for laundering butt loads of cash.

8 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Well,depends.Seems some that folk had mania over are turning out to be just fine and can have medicinal uses like the ones so recently legalized in Colorado.Imagine,helping to ease depression and some other mental health issues by microdosing with magic mushrooms!

I know there are at least some people who watch South Park around here...

Does Chuck clue you in into how many current new titles subscribers he has?

back in the 80s he held a solid share of the market both here and overseas. I would imagine that, just like many of the industry giants, that has shifted to back issues?

the reason why I'm saying this is because back then, he would offer MAJOR deals on back issues. On almost every catalog he would slash items down to pennies on the dollar on back issues. But me and most of my friends were only interested in new books. 

Nowadays the emphasis is on the secondary market with collectors seeking books that are either hyped or are established keys. And if that took a direct hit on new book sales for Chuck, then hence the reason for him charging higher prices on inventory