White paper showing

7 posts in this topic

38 posts

My book is showing a paper piece sliding out, doesn't look like a page. Read somewhere that CGC puts in a paper material for preservation purposes, could this be it? Anyone seen this before? Book is SS FF #236.IMG_0015.thumb.JPG.eab51f678302b8e75c6ef17850f8c60e.JPGIMG_0016.thumb.JPG.96c090a078ff7fce25f4e2abf3ad4051.JPG

12,432 posts

yes, they put microchamber between the covers and interior pages, and maybe one more in the middle

so that is probably what you are seeing

26,860 posts

Yes that is micro-chamber paper. Its purpose is to help neutralize acids. I use a sheet with my books which are in 2 mil Mylite with fullbacks.

38 posts

Thanks all. Leave it or reholder? I don't display my books that much so it doesn't bother me, but not sure if it will make some damage if the book moves around a bit in the case with that paper sticking out like that.

3,057 posts

Few people would want to go to the expense of reholdering books just because of the microchamber paper showing. It will not harm the book in any way. 

2,902 posts
41 minutes ago, bobotski said:

Thanks all. Leave it or reholder? I don't display my books that much so it doesn't bother me, but not sure if it will make some damage if the book moves around a bit in the case with that paper sticking out like that.

This is a pretty common occurrence. The good news is that the book looks like it's being held in place by a plastic "wedge" at the bottom edge of the inner well (the wedge was put there by someone in the encapsulation room at CGC to help keep the book stable in the holder). The microchamber paper appears to have been placed between the front cover and the first page, and because it's so thin (and not attached to anything) it's able to work it's way downward. The paper should only be able to go so far before it bottoms out, and it may have already reached that point. There are ways to get the paper to move back to where it belongs, but if you're OK with it, so be it...  :)