Any love for Checkmate!

12 posts in this topic

580 posts
Posted (edited)

Am I the only one that actually loved this series?

581441.jpg.9fa122379610a123541d198c653da0ed.jpg

Edited by Blastaar

6,147 posts

I enjoyed the book a great deal, and still horde #1's when I find them in dollar bins because you never know when it'll show up in a movie or something. I also really enjoyed the Checkmate series that Rucka did. It went off the rails a bit towards the end, becoming more of a straight superhero book, but the early issues were really great. 

3,192 posts
5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I enjoyed the book a great deal, and still horde #1's when I find them in dollar bins because you never know when it'll show up in a movie or something. I also really enjoyed the Checkmate series that Rucka did. It went off the rails a bit towards the end, becoming more of a straight superhero book, but the early issues were really great. 

The book you want is Action 598.

8,755 posts

Yup I remember it was kind of like a black robocop right? There was a panel when he takes off his glove and shows his skin color to a racist which is quite memorable 

3,192 posts
1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yup I remember it was kind of like a black robocop right? There was a panel when he takes off his glove and shows his skin color to a racist which is quite memorable 

It's an organization

580 posts
Posted (edited)

It was more like SHIELD 

Edited by Blastaar

1,594 posts
Posted (edited)

Yeah I liked the original series a lot, it was one of few DC series I got back in my Marvel Zombie days. Never was able to get the whole series but the Janus Directive arc was cool. Plan on reading the whole series now that I have DC Universe. Plus other 80s titles I missed out on; Captain Atom, Firestorm, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, The Question, etc.

Edited by FutureFlash

40,165 posts
On 7/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, Blastaar said:

Am I the only one that actually loved this series?

581441.jpg.9fa122379610a123541d198c653da0ed.jpg

Well, it is one of the series I've never bothered to mylar. :grin:

3,192 posts
On 7/11/2019 at 2:21 PM, FutureFlash said:

Yeah I liked the original series a lot, it was one of few DC series I got back in my Marvel Zombie days. Never was able to get the whole series but the Janus Directive arc was cool. Plan on reading the whole series now that I have DC Universe. Plus other 80s titles I missed out on; Captain Atom, Firestorm, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, The Question, etc.

If you haven't read Ostrander and Yale's Suicide Squad yet, that's a really good read

6,147 posts
On 7/12/2019 at 9:43 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If you haven't read Ostrander and Yale's Suicide Squad yet, that's a really good read

Suicide Squad, Justice League International, Checkmate, etc. DC was killing it in the mid/late 80's.

6,196 posts
On 7/15/2019 at 9:06 AM, F For Fake said:

Suicide Squad, Justice League International, Checkmate, etc. DC was killing it in the mid/late 80's.

I think I still have a complete Checkmate set, as well as SS and JLI as well as tons of other series from DC in this time period. My favorite era. Blue Devil, Captain Atom, Teen Titans, Flash...those were the days...one cover(besides the newsstand variants:jokealert:) and pretty good stories for a 13 year old.

6,147 posts
21 hours ago, johnenock said:

I think I still have a complete Checkmate set, as well as SS and JLI as well as tons of other series from DC in this time period. My favorite era. Blue Devil, Captain Atom, Teen Titans, Flash...those were the days...one cover(besides the newsstand variants:jokealert:) and pretty good stories for a 13 year old.

I still have my full runs of JLI (most of them signed) and all of the Legion of Super Heroes books, particularly the Baxter series and the 5YL reboot. Those are probably my two favorite superhero comics of all time, though Ostrander Suicide Squad would follow close behind. Yes, it was a simpler time for collecting and the books were just so well done. The upside is that you can still find many of these runs in dollar or less boxes, though there are the occasional odd spikes (Captain Atom 42 being the most recent example.)