• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Studios phase 4
3 3

349 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Can't wait for the Shang-Chi movie.  That is by far the most interesting movie to me.  I have a graded TOS #50 in 9.0 and I think this book gets a new bump in value.
I wish Captain Marvel 2 would come out sooner.  Captain Marvel was a really great movie! Brie nailed it playing Captain Marvel.  Really looking forward to the next one.

But I also like the idea of getting the stories of Captain Marvel and Black Panther etc. right and not rushing them just to make a deadline. Without the anchors of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, the MCU has to really nail these movies to prove that the Avengers will be okay without them.

So hyped for Shang Chi. Very curious how they finally do the Mandarin. He's borderline Fu Manchu so he has to be done right. Great start casting Tony Leung as the character.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

...So hyped for Shang Chi. Very curious how they finally do the Mandarin. He's borderline Fu Manchu so he has to be done right. Great start casting Tony Leung as the character.

I'm still disappointed that they didn't do The Mandarin justice while Iron Man was still around. :/

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm still disappointed that they didn't do The Mandarin justice while Iron Man was still around. :/

I don't think Shane Black was a good fit for the MCU, and even if he'd included the real Mandarin in the story, I don't think it would have saved Iron Man 3 from being mediocre. And there's the possibility that if the real Mandarin was in the movie, they might have ruined this classic character beyond repair, just like they did Extremis. 

20 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

But I also like the idea of getting the stories of Captain Marvel and Black Panther etc. right and not rushing them just to make a deadline. Without the anchors of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, the MCU has to really nail these movies to prove that the Avengers will be okay without them.

So hyped for Shang Chi. Very curious how they finally do the Mandarin. He's borderline Fu Manchu so he has to be done right. Great start casting Tony Leung as the character.

Yes Tony Leung is a superb actor.  Infernal Affairs was one of the best movies ever made.

I watched Ragnarok last night. Such a good movie and Taika Waitit is such a good visual director. Even the trailer for this weird Jojo Rabbit movie looks good imo.

I think the wackier the idea, the better the movie with this Waititi guy. I think Thor: Love and Thunder will be amazing. 

10 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I watched Ragnarok last night. Such a good movie and Taika Waitit is such a good visual director. Even the trailer for this weird Jojo Rabbit movie looks good imo.

I think the wackier the idea, the better the movie with this Waititi guy. I think Thor: Love and Thunder will be amazing. 

Yeah, I posted that the other day in the General Movie thread. Upon going back to it, I realized it is a kid with an imaginary friend that is Adolf. Crazy. But it is probably going to drastically limit the market where it plays.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Yeah, I posted that the other day in the General Movie thread. Upon going back to it, I realized it is a kid with an imaginary friend that is Adolf. Crazy. But it is probably going to drastically limit the market where it plays.

It's an art house movie so it will play to a limited audience for sure. Having ScarJo in it helps. Either way, the visuals look incredible. If he brings this same creativity and inventiveness to Love and Thunder that he did to Ragnarok and his other films, Thor 4 will  be another Marvel hit. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

My favorite part of the announcements is that Phase 4 is only two years.  When I first heard that the Fantastic Four and X-Men would be Phase 5, I was absolutely terrified that meant we wouldn't see them until about 2024 or 2025.  :whatthe:  :ohnoez:

Edited by fantastic_four

With four brand-new television shows being spun off directly from the MCU and all of the previous shows in limbo, is it safe to say that either Ike Perlmutter is no longer in charge of Marvel Television or that the division is just shutting down and being reborn under Feige and Marvel Studios?  I keep expecting some announcement of that but hear nothing.  Even if Feige or Iger prefer to not explicitly publicize that you'd think some reporter would dig up something, somewhere.

Edited by fantastic_four

5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

With four brand-new television shows being spun off directly from the MCU and all of the previous shows in limbo, is it safe to say that either Ike Perlmutter is no longer in charge of Marvel Television or that the division is just shutting down and being reborn under Feige and Marvel Studios?  I keep expecting some announcement of that but hear nothing.  Even if Feige or Iger prefer to not explicitly publicize that you'd think some reporter would dig up something, somewhere.

I think that Marvel TV will be restructuring after Disney+ is live, no...?

It could be that they're experimenting whether or not Marvel Studios/Kevin Feige can manage 2 different mediums. If the new shows don't blow up, then they may in fact keep Marvel TV going. If they do blow up, then I suspect that they're going to keep everything under 1 umbrella (just as Feige wants it).

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that Marvel TV will be restructuring after Disney+ is live, no...?

It could be that they're experimenting whether or not Marvel Studios/Kevin Feige can manage 2 different mediums. If the new shows don't blow up, then they may in fact keep Marvel TV going. If they do blow up, then I suspect that they're going to keep everything under 1 umbrella (just as Feige wants it).

Yeah, I think I read one article during SDCC where Feige shared he is using these short 6-episode shows as extended commercials for future films and new characters to be introduced. It's a smart move.

21 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

marvel-phase-4.jpeg#image

Agreed. A few days ago we were talking through this, and someone said Phase 4 to 5 will happen rather quickly.

So I wonder if Phase 5 is heavy on team movies (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3, Fantastic Four, X-Men, X-Force)?

I'm getting the sense that Phase 5 is going to look a little more like the early Avengers phases, with Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, and Dr. Strange at the center of things, with the FF and X-(Group) forming alongside...maybe Nova or another character shows up as well. 

Maybe Doom becomes the big bad, or Galactus shows up to eat earth and a new group of Avengers is formed to deal with the threat; regardless, I do hope we see a return to multi-film, interconnected storytelling.  I loved watching all that play out.

Are the announced movies the extent of Phase 4? That seems to be the assumption but was that explicitly stated or could Phase 4 go beyond what is already announced?

1 minute ago, Bird said:

Are the announced movies the extent of Phase 4? That seems to be the assumption but was that explicitly stated or could Phase 4 go beyond what is already announced?

Maybe a Spider-Man film too.  Not sure why that's still up in the air, maybe Iger is trying to bend Sony over to sign a new contract.  Or maybe he'll just splurge this summer and buy them out.  :wishluck:

1 minute ago, Bird said:

It has been officially announced that this is everything for Phase 4, sadly.

Hence my disappointment and borderline boycott. lol