• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2019 - Original Art pics
1 1

413 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Was this pic taken at SDCC? I could have sworn it had a $5k tag on it preview night. I remember the $5k price because I felt a rush of flames on my face upon witnessing the sheer optimism in asking for that much. 

I thought I recall the OP talking about the art show the week before.  Were you at the SDCC this year, Chris?

58 minutes ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

I thought I recall the OP talking about the art show the week before.  Were you at the SDCC this year, Chris?

Yes, I was there. I noticed that piece in particular on preview night. 

8 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

I emailed comic connect to inquire about this piece and after 1 email exchange I requested to purchase the piece. They responded the piece is actually 5k and I can go on their website and make an offer. I told them that’s a nice way to get rid of a customer 👍🏽

RB

F732198F-5B34-49CF-BFBF-F89C1272D21F.jpeg

Smells like...Metropolis/ComicConnect

Those aren't current Buy It Now prices from them tho (at least according to their "site")

Edited by Twanj

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Was this pic taken at SDCC? I could have sworn it had a $5k tag on it preview night. I remember the $5k price because I felt a rush of flames on my face upon witnessing the sheer optimism in asking for that much. 

Isn't this a close up of one of Gene's pictures from preview night?

8 minutes ago, Coach said:

Isn't this a close up of one of Gene's pictures from preview night?

Could be. Possible they changed the price during Preview Night...since Preview "night" actually runs from about 10am to the evening.

When I walked by I was sure it said $5k and that was towards the 5-6pm portion of preview night. I could be wrong but the price for a piece that no one could really identify where it was used, etc. was excessive enough to leave a memory-mark on me. That's why I thought maybe that pic was from the Torpedo show the previous weekend. 

15 hours ago, batman_fan said:

More expensive OA has a floor price where it will never sell below.  Just an example.  HA has several Peanuts Dailies up for auction right now.  I have no strong interest in any of them, although some are pretty nice and I wouldn’t be upset with them in my collection.  With that said, if they are at a price below my threshold, I will bid on them until they are over my threshold even though I am not highly interested in them just because I see it as a good price for a piece that I will hold for many years.  I do not think I am alone in doing this.

Yes, I call such behavior "market making".  Basically, collectors and/or dealers have a vested interest in making sure that "market value" remains strong, and they will vacuum up any piece that sells below what they consider to be "market value".  Note that the market making I'm referring to does not involve collusion or laddering like what Mike Burkey was doing, where the intention was to ensure that there was an artificially high public sale price.  The intention of market making is not to ensure an artificially high price, but merely to ensure that if anything falls below a certain price, it will be bought by the collector/dealer.  It will show up in the public record as a below market price sale.

Of course, this strategy only works if the market continues to strengthen.  If it collapses, anyone pursuing this strategy will simply have compounded their losses, in the same way that market makers in the stock market take a bath when there's a massive sell-off.

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

Note that the market making I'm referring to does not involve collusion or laddering like what Mike Burkey was doing, where the intention was to ensure that there was an artificially high public sale price.

Like my comment re: unsavory, organically supporting a floor is one thing, collusion is another.

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

Of course, this strategy only works if the market continues to strengthen.  If it collapses, anyone pursuing this strategy will simply have compounded their losses, in the same way that market makers in the stock market take a bath when there's a massive sell-off.

Catching falling knives lol

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

Yes, I call such behavior "market making".  Basically, collectors and/or dealers have a vested interest in making sure that "market value" remains strong, and they will vacuum up any piece that sells below what they consider to be "market value".  Note that the market making I'm referring to does not involve collusion or laddering like what Mike Burkey was doing, where the intention was to ensure that there was an artificially high public sale price.  The intention of market making is not to ensure an artificially high price, but merely to ensure that if anything falls below a certain price, it will be bought by the collector/dealer.  It will show up in the public record as a below market price sale.

Compounded your losses, but lots of amazing artwork :luhv:

It really gets bad if there is a lot of material coming to the market (like Peanuts).  If prices start to drop and you take my approach, things could get real expensive real quick (from a spending standpoint).  Even hitting 1/2 the pieces in Heritage could be a mid to high 5 figure auction for what I would have to pay out.  Fortunately for me, I am super cheap and my floor has been blown out of the water most of the time.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

It really gets bad if there is a lot of material coming to the market (like Peanuts).

The amazing thing about Peanuts is that so much material has been coming to the market but prices have gone up

I would love to pick up a daily from the 1950s, but the prices are just too high. :pullhair: 

1 minute ago, tth2 said:

The amazing thing about Peanuts is that so much material has been coming to the market but prices have gone up

I would love to pick up a daily from the 1950s, but the prices are just too high. :pullhair: 

I missed a nice one that went for $17k recently because I had my max bid amount limited and didn’t know until the day of the auction:cry:

Didn’t have time to see about getting it increased.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, grapeape said:
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, grapeape said:

Attended Friday

(1)Jim Steranko I got him despite his "bodyguards" best attempts to ruin the photo. I've bought from Jim before and go back to 1990. The bodyguard didn't know and I had to move on no time to explain.

IMG_1415.jpg.7b45f5a8e6d2fefe1c0fe004fd413b8b.jpg

lol I was there when this happened-  He was telling the story behind this print I was buying.

I wondered if you were able to get it anyway. 

You know what’s sad. I keep finding myself thinking that if the comic art market collapsing and prices drop 60-70% like predicted. I’d go on a huge buying spree and pick up art I either sold off years ago or never had and always wanted. 

1 hour ago, MR SigS said:

lol I was there when this happened-  He was telling the story behind this print I was buying.

I wondered if you were able to get it anyway. 

lol Hey I hope didn't spoil the moment. Great piece of art. I swear I was trying to be unobtrusive and discreet. The "bodyguards" reaction made it chaos for 4 seconds. I'm glad you enjoyed the show.

15 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

You know what’s sad. I keep finding myself thinking that if the comic art market collapsing and prices drop 60-70% like predicted. I’d go on a huge buying spree and pick up art I either sold off years ago or never had and always wanted. 

What a beautiful way to look at this possibility. 

On 7/24/2019 at 5:33 PM, comix4fun said:

Could be. Possible they changed the price during Preview Night...since Preview "night" actually runs from about 10am to the evening.

When I walked by I was sure it said $5k and that was towards the 5-6pm portion of preview night. I could be wrong but the price for a piece that no one could really identify where it was used, etc. was excessive enough to leave a memory-mark on me. That's why I thought maybe that pic was from the Torpedo show the previous weekend. 

I took my pic at about 4:30 on Friday at SDCC. The 5k sticker was on the display.

On 7/24/2019 at 1:58 PM, Ironmandrd said:

So that picture is before they realized their mistake and then put a $5k sticker on it?

I think that's what took place and I feel sorry for Ricky. I hear it was 5k on preview night and I saw the page on Friday afternoon listed at 5k.

Edited by grapeape

On 7/24/2019 at 8:31 AM, RICKYBOBBY said:

I emailed comic connect to inquire about this piece and after 1 email exchange I requested to purchase the piece. They responded the piece is actually 5k and I can go on their website and make an offer. I told them that’s a nice way to get rid of a customer 👍🏽

RB

F732198F-5B34-49CF-BFBF-F89C1272D21F.jpeg

RickyBobby I truly understand why you are chapped. I saw this on Friday at $5000 and some have suggested seeing the same price on preview night. I liked it too however I thought for sure it was inked by someone other than Kirby. A rep said he believed it was all Kirby and I let it be. Glen Gold who I trust on Kirby and on original art in general says Alcala worked on the piece. I'm with you so sorry you had your heart set at that price. I truly believe it was an error.

Did you pick up anything cool you want to share?