• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

returnable comics

5 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, williamblood said:

when a book is listed as returnable, what happens to those copies that are not sold and returned. im asking mostly about  dark horse/ berger books but would appreciate any knowledge from other publishers as well.

The publisher does whatever they want with them.

In the past, a retailer didn't actually return the book, they tore off the top half of the cover and returned it. Shipping back unsold copies is too expensive. I think they still do that today but don't know.

I don't know what Diamond does with the extra copies they get.

6 hours ago, shadroch said:

In the past, a retailer didn't actually return the book, they tore off the top half of the cover and returned it. Shipping back unsold copies is too expensive. I think they still do that today but don't know.

Better known as a "Remainder Copy".

Back in the 70's I used to buy Remainder Copies and Coverless books from a local used book dealer just to read, Marvel, DC, Harvey, Archie, etc.

He had entire tables filled with these books that were 3 for 25 cents or 15 for a dollar, they were stacked on top of each other and the stacks were never neat since everyone was flipping through them, ahh, the memories...:cloud9:

I have about 10 or so remainder copies in my collection since they are less expensive to own so it is easier to fill runs on a budget.

Got this in the 3 for 25 cent pile it was a Great Find for me.

Avengers 7  PR.05 Remainder Copy.JPG