• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Question

7 posts in this topic

Was wondering if someone could answer this or point me to a past thread on the issue.

Basically I have a couple big silver age keys that are potential submissions with pieces missing from the back cover that were then taped back on with clear tape. The tape on both has yellowed over time but is still holding the pieces on firmly.  One of the pieces looks to be taken from another book and I can see that the edges dont completely match up. The other piece looks to be original.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me or has had similar experiences with how these books would be graded. 

I was hoping I could just leave the pieces attached and write a note asking for blue label grading only. Not sure how this would play out.

Thanks for any advice!

2 minutes ago, Ccmp99 said:

Was wondering if someone could answer this or point me to a past thread on the issue.

Basically I have a couple big silver age keys that are potential submissions with pieces missing from the back cover that were then taped back on with clear tape. The tape on both has yellowed over time but is still holding the pieces on firmly.  One of the pieces looks to be taken from another book and I can see that the edges dont completely match up. The other piece looks to be original.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me or has had similar experiences with how these books would be graded. 

I was hoping I could just leave the pieces attached and write a note asking for blue label grading only. Not sure how this would play out.

Thanks for any advice!

If you ask for a Universal Label on the married book, my educated guess says 0.5 will be the grade.

The other book will be hammered. I/we can't predict a grade without many pictures.

8 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Pictures would be very helpful. 

11 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you ask for a Universal Label on the married book, my educated guess says 0.5 will be the grade.

The other book will be hammered. I/we can't predict a grade without many pictures.

Sorry for not including photos but I was hoping to get some type of responses based on my descripton. I'm sure this has come up before.

I'll narrow it down to the one book with the married piece taped on. It's about a 3" by 3" square cut out of the back top left corner of the AF 15 held on by clear tape. The rest of the book is complete.  It appears to be at least a 2.0/good otherwise. 

Basically I was wondering if there was anyway around removing the taped on piece for a blue label.

CGC addresses tape in the link below. This was a change in how CGC treats tape. 

The short version is that tape can NEVER improve the grade of a book. So if tape is reattaching a piece of a comic, the comic will be graded as though the piece is unattached. If tape is used to reattach a cover, the book will be graded as though the cover is still detached. 

Tape - by itself -  does not earn a restored or conserved label. If there isn't anything else going on with the book, just tape will get a Blue, universal label. But in the case of your book, it will be graded as though that 3"x3" piece is detached. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

On 7/26/2019 at 9:56 PM, Ccmp99 said:

Sorry for not including photos but I was hoping to get some type of responses based on my descripton. I'm sure this has come up before.

I'll narrow it down to the one book with the married piece taped on. It's about a 3" by 3" square cut out of the back top left corner of the AF 15 held on by clear tape. The rest of the book is complete.  It appears to be at least a 2.0/good otherwise. 

Basically I was wondering if there was anyway around removing the taped on piece for a blue label.

I'm 99% sure that any married book in Universal Blue is a 0.5 grade. It's simply not an independently complete book.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
I could be wrong, and I've been wrong before, so Idk.

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm 99% sure that any married book in Universal Blue is a 0.5 grade. It's simply not an independently complete book.

I think Married books are usually green label but if a blue is requested I would assume it would get a 0.5 blue then instead of the qualified higher grade. So I would agree that I think your statement is correct