• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting a signed coming book graded without a witness

81 posts in this topic

I'm new to this and this will be my first book I want to send in for grading. If the event is not allowing a witness for the signature could the signature still be authenticated when I send it in for grading? Just wondering any assistance will be most appreciated.

Welcome To The Boards!!!

I do not send books in for grading, however, I have read enough on this site that I can provide some information.

Without an authorized CGC rep present and the book left with them immediately after the signing the signature will not/cannot be verified.

A book sent in for grading with an unwitnessed signature will be graded accordingly... 

If you receive a Blue Universal Label the book will be graded with the signature as a defect or with a Green Qualified Label noting the signature on the cover but grading the book as if the signature were not there.

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/labels/

CGC does not do authentication of signatures.  So no.

There's a Signature Subforum with a 'newbie' thread at the top of it.  You can look there for more answers.

Edited by revat

There's got to be a way to sticky one post here in the newbie forum so we don't have to answer this question every week.  :tonofbricks:

To answer OP's question, there needs to remain an unbroken chain of custody from creator to CGC in order for a book to qualify for a Signature Series (yellow) label.  The only people who qualify for this chain are the creator and his official representatives at his booth and CGC witnesses.  If any other third party is introduced into this, the chain is broken.  For example, if you buy a book from a creator booth/website and then decide to submit it for CGC grading, you become the questionable link and the link is broken and the book no longer qualifies for yellow label.  If you buy a signed book from Midtown with a certificate of authenticity, Midtown is unauthorized and thus, they break the chain of custody.  CGC is very strict (and rightfully so) about ensuring with 100% certainty that the signature is witnessed as authentic.  Otherwise, the program sort of falls apart.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

What if we just stickied a post with a really catchy title like "Signed/No witness/COA READ HERE!" and then it just linked back to

https://www.cgccomics.com/signature-series/

The fact that you even have to suggest this, makes me so sad, because common sense is definitely dead.

:|

Part of the problem is that the board admins specifically created this forum for just this purpose so it's working as designed. However, all these questions could be answered by reading the main CGC site or *GASP!* calling them at their toll free number which is available in the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of this page. I mean, why ask us wingnuts when you can go straight to the horses' mouth? 

By the way, what's a 'coming book' ? :eek:

Edited by Jeffro™

You guys are bullies...

I am an Admin on an Auto forum and we try to Welcome New Members and be Polite, Understanding and Patient since they are new to this, they may not know their way around and maybe want to hear the answer from a "real person" as opposed to "just reading it" in a "sticky" where they may still not be sure, if I see a seasoned member getting snarky/sarcastic with a new members post that seasoned member receives a PM from an Admin or Mod explaining why we are here and how we treat new members, if you constantly going to be a D-Bag then you will eventually be suspended or banned.

We were all noobs at one time and we all asked the same type of questions.

On the other forum I have posted numerous technical threads on "how to" and they are all stickies and people still ask the same questions without looking for the answer themselves and I have no issue with that, I copy/paste the link to the thread in their post and let them know that if they have any questions/concerns/problems to Please Feel Free To Ask.

It is preferable to have new members participate than to find their answer in a sticky and then leave, that would make us "Google".

If it bothers you that much that you feel you must ridicule and make fun of new members that are asking the same questions over and over why are you on the site, isn't this supposed to be about "Enhancing" the hobby of comic book collecting?

Three things I have learned in my years...

1)The only stupid question is the one that is not asked.

2)It is easier to answer stupid questions than fix stupid mistakes.

3)The first time is an experience, the second time is a mistake.

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

You guys are bullies...

I am an Admin on an Auto forum and we try to Welcome New Members and be Polite, Understanding and Patient since they are new to this, they may not know their way around and maybe want to hear the answer from a "real person" as opposed to "just reading it" in a "sticky" where they may still not be sure, if I see a seasoned member getting snarky/sarcastic with a new members post that seasoned member receives a PM from an Admin or Mod explaining why we are here and how we treat new members, if you constantly going to be a D-Bag then you will eventually be suspended or banned.

On the other forum I have posted numerous technical threads on "how to" and they are all stickies and people still ask the same questions without looking for the answer themselves and I have no issue with that, I copy/paste the link to the thread in their post and let them know that if they have any questions/concerns/problems to Please Feel Free To Ask.

It is preferable to have new members participate than to find their answer in a sticky and then leave, that would make us "Google".

If it bothers you that much that you feel you must ridicule and make fun of new members that are asking the same questions over and over why are you on the site, isn't this supposed to be about "Enhancing" the hobby of comic book collecting?

I agree that some of the answers given can seem harsh, especially for a newbie thread.  I would also concede that I make up a decent percentage the harsher answers.

I understand that its nice to be nice, and that community is more easily built in a somewhat warm and welcoming fashion.

I also understand its somewhat subjective, and people have different motivations and opinions and backgrounds, experience, etc.

My perspective is as follows: 

If you are asking about specific process details/regulations for a specific service from a specific company, I can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't go to their website/facebook/phone/twitter/phone number FIRST.  I can't imagine why someone would want to crowdsource an answer from total internet strangers rather than contact a PAID CUSTOMER REPRESENTATIVE of THE COMPANY.  And more importantly, I don't want to encourage that sort of behavior.  I think as a society we've come to a place where we assign random internet strangers too much authority and trust, instead of going to the direct source.

I want people asking for help, to put a little bit of thought into things and MAKE IT EASIER FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO HELP TO ACTUALLY HELP THEM, whether that's doing a bit of research first, thinking through the question, making things a bit more specific, taking pictures, etc.  I don't want people to EXPECT HELP when they haven't even bothered to consider what the person helping them might ask them back.

Its one thing to ask for opinions, and ask what works best for you, and "I've looked for this, I can't seem to find it", please help.  But if you can find these forums I can't understand why you can't read the CGC website a bit.

Like if you go to the Information Desk at the airport.  I think its fine to ask even the most basic questions "where's the delta kiosk?" even if its right behind you.

But if the information desk is right next to the Delta kiosk and you ask me "How much is Delta from Milwaukee to Barcelona on Tuesday four weeks from now" AND you're holding a smart phone, I would seriously wonder why you didn't look it up on your smart phone OR go to the Delta kiosk and ask them, and there would be some snark involved (reasonable snark IMO). 

I think we should challenge people to think more, ask better questions, be considerate of people they are asking for help.  And if a little bit of snark/sarcasm nudges them in the right direction now and in the future, I think its fine, even at the cost of possibly turning someone off to this forum (and if they're that sensitive about it and are so inconsiderate about the questions they ask, what were the odds they would have stayed and contributed?)

I would also say that 'general newbie' questions in an auto forum ARE VERY DIFFERENT than specific questions about specific services for a specific company, especially when there's eight different ways to contact companies these days, AND they have a website AND customer service reps.

4 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

You guys are bullies...

I had a 240Z once that I loved. It was in a crash while I was driving, no lie here, about 11 miles an hour. Insurance called the car a Unibody and they claimed the crash, even at such a slow speed, bent the body so since it was a unibody it was considered totaled. True or not?

I was kinda poor at the time and had no ability to do anything but what I was told as the cool- car was towed away.

Yeah, they're bullies here. They seem to like each other quite a bit. Of course they wouldn't act that way to your face, well, because, they'd get punched. It's hilarious to think of some of the guys (gals?) around here once CGC throws in the towel with these forums and what's to happen with their pride-and-joy internet points.

Edited by NoMan

2 hours ago, revat said:

I agree that some of the answers given can seem harsh, especially for a newbie thread.  I would also concede that I make up a decent percentage the harsher answers.

I understand that its nice to be nice, and that community is more easily built in a somewhat warm and welcoming fashion.

I also understand its somewhat subjective, and people have different motivations and opinions and backgrounds, experience, etc.

My perspective is as follows: 

If you are asking about specific process details/regulations for a specific service from a specific company, I can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't go to their website/facebook/phone/twitter/phone number FIRST.  I can't imagine why someone would want to crowdsource an answer from total internet strangers rather than contact a PAID CUSTOMER REPRESENTATIVE of THE COMPANY.  And more importantly, I don't want to encourage that sort of behavior.  I think as a society we've come to a place where we assign random internet strangers too much authority and trust, instead of going to the direct source.

I want people asking for help, to put a little bit of thought into things and MAKE IT EASIER FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO HELP TO ACTUALLY HELP THEM, whether that's doing a bit of research first, thinking through the question, making things a bit more specific, taking pictures, etc.  I don't want people to EXPECT HELP when they haven't even bothered to consider what the person helping them might ask them back.

Its one thing to ask for opinions, and ask what works best for you, and "I've looked for this, I can't seem to find it", please help.  But if you can find these forums I can't understand why you can't read the CGC website a bit.

Like if you go to the Information Desk at the airport.  I think its fine to ask even the most basic questions "where's the delta kiosk?" even if its right behind you.

But if the information desk is right next to the Delta kiosk and you ask me "How much is Delta from Milwaukee to Barcelona on Tuesday four weeks from now" AND you're holding a smart phone, I would seriously wonder why you didn't look it up on your smart phone OR go to the Delta kiosk and ask them, and there would be some snark involved (reasonable snark IMO). 

I think we should challenge people to think more, ask better questions, be considerate of people they are asking for help.  And if a little bit of snark/sarcasm nudges them in the right direction now and in the future, I think its fine, even at the cost of possibly turning someone off to this forum (and if they're that sensitive about it and are so inconsiderate about the questions they ask, what were the odds they would have stayed and contributed?)

I would also say that 'general newbie' questions in an auto forum ARE VERY DIFFERENT than specific questions about specific services for a specific company, especially when there's eight different ways to contact companies these days, AND they have a website AND customer service reps.

This seems reasonable and fair. I would have said put more "effort" into the question rather than "thought" but semantics, you know

Edited by NoMan

21 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

You guys are bullies...

Oh, come on...

As a recent n00b (circa 2015-2017), I read CGC's main website, and searched/read many a topic here before asking questions. It's just common sense. We have more openly-available resources than ever before. People should do their own research before asking questions.

I remember my first Newbie question was, "How to Acquire Facilitator Services?", because I didn't know how to get certified signatures for events that I wouldn't personally attend. A valid question to this day, IMO. @revat, IIRC, even suggested posting a "bounty".

IMO there are stupid questions. Ones that can be answered by doing your own common sense research. As I mentioned, we have more openly-available resources than ever before because of the internet and Google.

You're right - that it is easier to answer stupid questions - because we have regurgitated the same (obvious) answers ad nauseam.

We can't, and shouldn't suggest, coddling everyone. Make common sense common again.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Oh, come on...

As a recent n00b (circa 2015-2017), I read CGC's main website, and searched/read many a topic here before asking questions. It's just common sense. We have more openly-available resources than ever before. People should do their own research before asking questions.

I remember my first Newbie question was, "How to Acquire Facilitator Services?", because I didn't know how to get certified signatures for events that I wouldn't personally attend. A valid question to this day, IMO. @revat, IIRC, even suggested posting a "bounty".

IMO there are stupid questions. Ones that can be answered by doing your own common sense research. As I mentioned, we have more openly-available resources than ever before because of the internet and Google.

You're right - that it is easier to answer stupid questions - because we have regurgitated the same (obvious) answers ad nauseam.

We can't, and shouldn't suggest, coddling everyone. Make common sense common again.

I stand by the bounty! You post here you’re offering 5k per sig, you’ll have facilitators knocking Down your door

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Make common sense common again.

Interesting point...a friend of mine REPEATEDLY says to his classes (he's a facilitator for a major corporation) that there is no common sense anymore...it should just be "sense".  If it was so "common" everyone would have it and he wouldn't need to restate the obvious time and time again.  When I pointed out that each class is full of new people and he should consider that, he showed me his biggest pet peeve...when filling out online worksheets, the students will eventually need to print them.  Every class he has to answer the question "How do I set up the printer for my profile?"  On the online worksheet, there is a button that says "Click For Printer Instructions."  No one does...they just ask him.

Maybe "common sense" never existed to begin with, and it should be called "common experience."  I don't know...but interesting thoughts for both sides of this discussion...

4 minutes ago, Donald Jack said:

Interesting point...a friend of mine REPEATEDLY says to his classes (he's a facilitator for a major corporation) that there is no common sense anymore...it should just be "sense".  If it was so "common" everyone would have it and he wouldn't need to restate the obvious time and time again.  When I pointed out that each class is full of new people and he should consider that, he showed me his biggest pet peeve...when filling out online worksheets, the students will eventually need to print them.  Every class he has to answer the question "How do I set up the printer for my profile?"  On the online worksheet, there is a button that says "Click For Printer Instructions."  No one does...they just ask him.

Maybe "common sense" never existed to begin with, and it should be called "common experience."  I don't know...but interesting thoughts for both sides of this discussion...

I think it did. Common doesn't mean universal.

We should probably start calling it "uncommon sense"...

Perhaps Divine put it best when asked about her/his political leanings in John Waters' classic Pink Flamingos:   "KILL EVERYONE NOW!"

Yeah, I knew a cinematographer who taught film at Columbia College in Chicago. He quit. He couldn't take it anymore. I see both sides of the argument, too.

Edited by NoMan

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Oh, come on...

I was noob around the same time. The search function didn't work for sh*t. Something to take into consideration. At a more, perhaps humanitarian level, maybe be kind to someone so they stick around to buy your books when you're done. Keep the hobby alive kinda stuff.  

Edited by NoMan