• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I asking too much for this ASM collection?
1 1

131 posts in this topic

After 4 grand for them. I think that's fair. 20 watchers on eBay. I had two guys I thought I had sold them to but they turned out to be tyre kickers, both of them. Don't really want to sell them but I need the money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202738826977?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

And a link to scans of all 311 books - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/sOdpLRKIuYyxY6KZrCrzP5nvzuUq39QcHPVQ5nQPWeT

What do you lot reckon? Many of them have been bought multiple times and I've always then sold the lesser copy. So some really high grade books and even a couple double covers. £12.86 is the average price per book, so why the bloody hell has no one bought!?

26 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

After 4 grand for them. I think that's fair. 20 watchers on eBay. I had two guys I thought I had sold them to but they turned out to be tyre kickers, both of them. Don't really want to sell them but I need the money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202738826977?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

And a link to scans of all 311 books - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/sOdpLRKIuYyxY6KZrCrzP5nvzuUq39QcHPVQ5nQPWeT

What do you lot reckon? Many of them have been bought multiple times and I've always then sold the lesser copy. So some really high grade books and even a couple double covers. £12.86 is the average price per book, so why the bloody hell has no one bought!?

to me it seems a bit high specially with most of the keys gone also the conversion to Canadian makes it 6.5k us obviously a bit less, and a few of those books are UK variants which generally go for a bit less. also the high issues generally tend to go for a few US dollars if you look hard enough. I mean its not terrible pricing 

I would of considered it if it wasn't in the UK with Uk variants mixed through and if I didn't have most of the ones that generally have more value. 

Best of luck with the sale though 

Your likely buyers are dealers, which means they need to get them at 1/2 market to make it worth them adding them to their inventory and slowly selling them off. 

A collector of ASM will likely already have these books, or enough of them that they wouldnt want to buy this collection. 

I would pull out the foreign issues and make separate listings for them then sell the american books with a best offer.  I see the foreign books as dragging down the whole sale.

2 hours ago, kav said:

I would pull out the foreign issues and make separate listings for them then sell the american books with a best offer.  I see the foreign books as dragging down the whole sale.

or at least note the foreign issues and price it as extra cream on the cake :foryou:

well not ALL keys are missing. The collection has a few nice ones, and the overall condition if accurate is pretty nice.  I agree with the comment regarding other options of raising the 4k. You spent ALOT of time, and I assume moneys, assembling this set so far.  

Best way to extract the most from it would probably be to sell it off individually, but that of course will take some time. Particularly if you chose to slab the nicest stuff.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll let them sit there I reckon and if someone buys them then I'll let them go. I have already picked out some nice ones to hold so maybe I'll revise the listing again and go in again and pull out a few more. 20 watchers tell me people are interested at least.

Marwood, one a piece is definitely the way to go, but I couldn't bear to see them dwindle away like that, I'll take a lump sum I can use or nothing at all. And you're right, I probably would miss them even if I did get a chunk of change, would feel a bit like this :sorry:

2 hours ago, Dan82 said:

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll let them sit there I reckon and if someone buys them then I'll let them go. I have already picked out some nice ones to hold so maybe I'll revise the listing again and go in again and pull out a few more. 20 watchers tell me people are interested at least.

Marwood, one a piece is definitely the way to go, but I couldn't bear to see them dwindle away like that, I'll take a lump sum I can use or nothing at all. And you're right, I probably would miss them even if I did get a chunk of change, would feel a bit like this :sorry:

maybe its just me but psychologically if I am looking at lots and I see books I already have I just dont want the lot even tho without those books its still a decent price.  If you are seeding your lot with undesirable books some people cant get that out of their mind.

1 hour ago, kav said:

maybe its just me but psychologically if I am looking at lots and I see books I already have I just dont want the lot even tho without those books its still a decent price.  If you are seeding your lot with undesirable books some people cant get that out of their mind.

Seriously people only want the keys these days and graded books 9.8 in runs.  Expensive proposition...

16 hours ago, Dan82 said:

you should at the very least revise the listing to note which ones where UK variants as you didn't mention it but I had to scroll through the pictures to find out which ones where UK variants. Kind of put me on alert and the trust factor diminished as a general reaction. This might deter people or put them on alert to check out if your pulling something etc... 

Add up the individual anticipated price of each book and then knock 25 - 50% off the price and you should get it sold.  Too big a set to get full price for the set unless it was stock full of all the keys.

4 minutes ago, wombat said:

How did you determine price to begin with?

I took the comicbookrealm valuation with a nice pinch of salt... and then discarded two thirds. Am I still way off?

45 minutes ago, Park said:

Spidey's under 100 sell almost immediately on these boards. Between 100 and 200 fly pretty quick too based on the grades you have. There are a couple of keys between 200-300 that would sell right away. And most of the others would as well. The McFarlane books above 300 would sell quickly as well. 

That would leave a bulk lot that you might be able to sell quicker.

As has been said, your buyer pool is limited as the majority of collectors that want these books don't want all of them because they have a decent amount of them already. That leaves dealers/flippers/whatever term you want to use that will only buy them if there is enough profit

Selling individually is your best option to actually get them sold. Obviously it would be the best way to maximize profit as well.

It would be worth it to spend a week researching sold prices for these books individually and then running a sales thread here. I would bet you could sell 60% of those books within a week or two if the prices are right. If you have done the research (eBay, here, etc.) Then the prices should be right.

Another option is to consign them to someone to sell individually. I don't know if Comicana Direct does consignments but it is worth a shot to take a look and see. Maybe others here know who does consignment in the UK.

Or just let it ride and see what happens.

I'd do some research and see what options you do have.

Great post. Real food for thought. Cheers man.