• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guy bought my TTA 27 CGC 9.0 PLOD a while back...

46 posts in this topic

Kudos to the buyer for getting a good press done (which upped the grade).  But why the heck didn't he put some CT on that major spine tic towards the top?  The comic has CT already, why not add a teenie bit more to make it present better and possibly get an even better grade? (shrug)

Gorgeous comic.  I wish I would have bought it from you.

Edited by gadzukes

56 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

It's been a major Marvel key long as I remember, and it was always the toughest one to find pre-Internet. Like all those keys, it has seen bumps since the movies.

TTA 13 has stolen a lot of the 27's thunder. I'd rather go after a 13 first. They should both be of approx. equal value, with the edge to the 13 now that it's the first Marvel Silver age superhero book, preceding FF 1 by about a full year.

Edited by James J Johnson

From experience I am going to say something that is completely unholy, completely absurd, completely insane to some of you. 

To some, a small amount of color touch is more desirable than a blue label book that looks like it was scraped, chipped or bug chewed. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

From experience I am going to say something that is completely unholy, completely absurd, completely insane to some of you. 

To some, a small amount of color touch is more desirable than a blue label book that looks like it was scraped, chipped or bug chewed. 

Hear, hear.

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

TTA 13 has stolen a lot of the 27's thunder. I'd rather go after a 13 first. They should both be of approx. equal value, with the edge to the 13 now that it's the first Marvel Silver age superhero book, preceding FF 1 by about a full year.

I think it has; not so sure about what should or shouldn't be. Either way, I was just trying to get at the implied question of whether TTA 27 was a key before the films. That's where the two differ; 27 has been for a long time; 13 is a "retro" key, for lack of a better term, as it introduces a character who emerges in importance much later, thus making the book a key many years after it was first published. Not unlike FF52 and other books. (Though one could argue FF52 was much easier to see coming from even 25 years ago than TTA 13.)

But again, I was just getting at the question of whether 27 was a long-time key or post-movie key.

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

So youre saying you dont like books that have had a chisel taken to them-

3 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I think it has; not so sure about what should or shouldn't be. Either way, I was just trying to get at the implied question of whether TTA 27 was a key before the films. That's where the two differ; 27 has been for a long time; 13 is a "retro" key, for lack of a better term, as it introduces a character who emerges in importance much later, thus making the book a key many years after it was first published. Not unlike FF52 and other books. (Though one could argue FF52 was much easier to see coming from even 25 years ago than TTA 13.)

But again, I was just getting at the question of whether 27 was a long-time key or post-movie key.

27 is as long term a key as any of the original title introductory appearance Marvel first issues.

FF 1, AF 15, TTA 27, TOS 39, JIM 83, DD 1, X-Men 1, SF 1,

then AS 1, AV 1, ST 101, rounding out the original 11 keys; 3 newer titles with the same already introduced characters.

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

This is all I was getting at for the poster who asked about whether 27 was a key prior to the Ant-Man movie.

It's always been considered the starting point for one of the 4 Atlas horror crossover titles that became super hero books, Tales to Astonish, Journey into Mystery, Tales of Suspense, and Strange Tales, and 5 titles, of you want to place Amazing (Adult) Fantasy 15 on that list. .

12 hours ago, Jaylam said:

It looks like it had several spine stresses before pressing. It's hard to believe it got a bump to a 9.4 as I can still see some pretty obvious color breaking spine stresses. They hammer my books with those kinds of spine stresses much less getting a 9.4. Sheesh!!!

It's a gift grade to be sure.