• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Buyer Fraud via Pay Pal to Circumvent eBay - How to handle a Scam Artist?

52 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, evilskip said:

And you'll probably get an insufficiently_thoughtful_person like I did last night.

Ok, the term I used was not profanity or even close to it. How does brainless go over?

It is outsourced to the Phillipines and Vietnam, so these jobs are highly sought after.

The phone guys and gals are literally drones with no allowance of free thinking at all.

They literally repeat scripted responses so you will go away, do the easy thing and complete the transaction to get ebay their commission.

That is their job, they are a human firewall.

Ignore them - ask to speak to a supervisor, stay on the line and refuse to leave.

Get the supervisors name (they will use their first name only, so ask for the first letter of their surname) - and make sure it is clear that you are doing so because you will go over THEIR head to their boss (Supervisory staff  - line assistant manager) - if you are not happy.

It sounds harsh but focuses their mind.

The Supervisors jobs are very well paid for the country they live in and offer their whole family a good standard of living.They are literally like gold and no-one want to lose them.

Then give them an easy way out.

If you do X,Y and Z, I will be happy and leave positive comments in your performance feedback form (which is always sent to you once supervisors get involved).

If you are in the right, then you will be fine.

They won't side with you if you are wrong, but will  listen, read messages, view photos etc and actually review the case.

If you are in the right - you usually win.

52 minutes ago, Beige said:

It is outsourced to the Phillipines and Vietnam, so these jobs are highly sought after.

The phone guys and gals are literally drones with no allowance of free thinking at all.

They literally repeat scripted responses so you will go away, do the easy thing and complete the transaction to get ebay their commission.

Ignore them - ask to speak to a supervisor, stay on the line and refuse to leave.

Get the supervisors name (they will use their first name only, so ask for the first letter of their surname) - and make sure it is clear that you are doing so because you will go over THEIR head to their boss (Supervisory staff  - line assistant manager) - if you are not happy.

The Supervisors jobs are very well paid for the country they live in and offer their whole family a good standard of living.They are literally like gold and no-one want to lose them.

If you do X,Y and Z, I will be happy and leave positive comments in your performance feedback form (which is always sent to you once supervisors get involved).

They won't side with you if you are wrong, but will  listen, read messages, view photos etc and actually review the case.

I always get the feedback form even when I dont ask for supervisor and good reviews are highly sought out by these folks.  If you get bad service be sure to mention that you are unhappy and your feedback will reflect this, James (or whatever the nom de plume they have been assigned).  this will help focus them.  Poor listening skills is a killer comment to receive as they are told to LISTEN to the customer.

Edited by kav

On 9/14/2019 at 6:44 AM, Poka said:

@Stat Monsters I did forget to add one thing. If you disagree with the facts upon which the buyer has filed a charge back, ie item not as described but he refuses to return the item, then your best chance is to file a police report against the buyer for mail fraud. The police report you submit to paypal. I have a paypal business account which protects against fraud (turning an item not as described into a fraud). This is how I have got my money back from paypal where a buyer filed a charge back against me and card issuer institution sided with the buyer.

Poka - Thanks, it's exactly what I'd planned to do, but I was going to do it afterwards, if in his favor because it's an attempted mail fraud at this point, but once he receives his money back and keeps the merchandise, I'd think it's then actual mail fraud, so less of an accusation or an attempt, but more of a real fact based action.  In reading your suggestion (BTW - Thanks!) I do think you have a strong recommendation in filing the report BEFORE to then use that as defensive evidence of what's going on based upon his pointed efforts to commit fraud by claiming an amount more than factual potential damages as well as making no efforts to communicate to return the merchandise to receive any level of a refund.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:45 AM, Stat Monsters said:

Poka - Thanks, it's exactly what I'd planned to do, but I was going to do it afterwards, if in his favor because it's an attempted mail fraud at this point, but once he receives his money back and keeps the merchandise, I'd think it's then actual mail fraud, so less of an accusation or an attempt, but more of a real fact based action.  In reading your suggestion (BTW - Thanks!) I do think you have a strong recommendation in filing the report BEFORE to then use that as defensive evidence of what's going on based upon his pointed efforts to commit fraud by claiming an amount more than factual potential damages as well as making no efforts to communicate to return the merchandise to receive any level of a refund.

Yes - file it beforehand (but only if you truly believe the person has committed mail fraud). PayPal will forward the police report to the credit card issuer.  the credit card issuer will normally disregard the information. However, PayPal may reimburse you once the case has settled  by the credit card issuer in buyers favour, as you have demonstrated that it is not a not as described case, but a matter of fraud.

this is why paypal’s Fees are high. They do in general treat sellers much better than ebay

Edited by Poka

On 9/15/2019 at 8:35 PM, Beige said:

lol 

A couple of weeks ago a quick phone call turned into a 45 minute side conversation as to what it is like living where I do and doing what I do for a living. I entertained it as I was making dinner as I found it interesting.   I learned a lot about what life is like in the Philippines.  It was interesting.

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

lol 

A couple of weeks ago a quick phone call turned into a 45 minute side conversation as to what it is like living where I do and doing what I do for a living. I entertained it as I was making dinner as I found it interesting.   I learned a lot about what life is like in the Philippines.  It was interesting.

I went out with a girl from the phillipines I asked her what was the biggest thing that was different here she said all the different kinds of people.  A guy from Russia said the thing that struck him the most was there were ducks just walking around the park and no one was catching them to eat.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I went out with a girl from the phillipines I asked her what was the biggest thing that was different here she said all the different kinds of people.  A guy from Russia said the thing that struck him the most was there were ducks just walking around the park and no one was catching them to eat.

Ive told this before and its a 3rd party, but my teacher in college had a friend come to live from Russia. They went to a super market and were going to get something quickly. He turned around and she wasn't directly behind him anymore. He found her at the door in tears from having just walked in the supermarket and seeing all the food....

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ive told this before and its a 3rd party, but my teacher in college had a friend come to live from Russia. They went to a super market and were going to get something quickly. He turned around and she wasn't directly behind him anymore. He found her at the door in tears from having just walked in the supermarket and seeing all the food....

My buddy came back from Iraq and he was in tears because he could just order a pizza.  If you're not grateful, you're not paying attention.

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

lol 

I work with a lot of Phillipino staff - they literally cannot wait to get a working visa for Australia - and they send as much 80% of their wages home to support their spouse and children until they can get citizenship.

It's not unusual for 4 of the assigned 6 theatre staff to be from Asia - the money is that good compared to what they get at home.

So ebay jobs are one of the best they can hope for at 'home' - but still pay so much less than most would imagine.

The average pay in the phillipines is $16,000 - $17,000 USD and in Vietnam its only $14,000 USD.

Or a 2.0/2.5  AF #15.....