• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shilling

213 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

On Ebay messaging, that's what I meant...sorry

But why message them before actually making an offer?  What’s the point?  Make an offer, and see what happens.  If the seller counters, then you can open dialogue.

If you want deals on EBay,  maybe you should try to develop symbiotic relationships with the sellers who offer the stuff you collect.  

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

%100 I told my friend about what I wanted I said I offered him $1100 why don't you offer him $1000. The seller didnt respond to my friend, the seller responded to me. The seller could have said he wasnt interested, but he said I'll accept your offer, submit it and I'll sell it to you.

Unethical. 

I have received multiple offers on items and rejected all of them as too low. Sometimes I don't even take the highest offer if one buyer looks problematic. While I am not sure your multiple offer scenario is shilling per se, it is weird. With that said, maybe it works sometimes for you. Is it collusion in a legal sense, probably not, but close. If I was a seller in this scenario who found out this happened I'd have a crappy view of the buyer. Of course, life is full of little dishonesties. I dunno. It's not something I would do.

Edited by the blob

That's a shill baby!!!!!

(Picture the Austin Powers meme, I don't know how to make them)

This behavior is the other side of the same coin when it comes to shilling.

Shilling is done to inflate the value of a product so that the seller receives more than the product is worth.

What you have done is sought to depress the value by making the seller think the value of his product is lower than it actually is.

Like I said before, it's unethical.

12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

In the end my friend didnt submit an offer

She just inquired about the product

True - the devil is in the details but I still stand behind my example.  If you had a couple friends come to your open house and ask questions and maybe mention how cheap the home is wouldn't you consider it a scammy way to trigger the fear of losing out emotion in a buyer.  Not as bad as a shill bidder who puts in an offer and then backs out if there is no counter offer but still bad in my book.  Some may consider it good salesmanship but I don't like people manipulating me or other buyers / sellers.

Edited by 1Cool

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

True - the devil is in the details but I still stand behind my example.  If you had a couple friends come to your open house and ask questions and maybe mention how cheap the home is wouldn't you consider it a scammy way to trigger the fear of losing out emotion in a buyer.  Not as bad as a shill bidder who puts in an offer and then backs out if there is no counter offer but still bad in my book.  Some may consider it go salesmanship but I don't like people manipulating me or other buyers / sellers.

Makes sense...

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Shilling can only be done by a seller or “hawker” as the definition puts it (working with a purported buyer). Whatever this is, it isn’t shilling. 

Collusion: "secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others."

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

But why message them before actually making an offer?  What’s the point?  Make an offer, and see what happens.  If the seller counters, then you can open dialogue.

If you want deals on EBay,  maybe you should try to develop symbiotic relationships with the sellers who offer the stuff you collect.  

Yeah, pretty slimy to me.

I've gotten messages with no offers from "interested buyers" who start off with a message like "Hey I'm a serious buyer, are you flexible with your price"..... and no offer.

Those kind NEVER buy.

Just now, jcjames said:

Yeah, pretty slimy to me.

I've gotten messages with no offers from "interested buyers" who start off with a message like "Hey I'm a serious buyer, are you flexible with your price"..... and no offer.

Those kind NEVER buy.

Weird

I'd rather enter dialogue with a seller before I just blindly submit an offer, and I do that all the time.

Check my Ebay feed back on the thread Good deals on Ebay. Never a complaint