Thoughts on this 9.4 grade?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

25 posts

So, yes this is one of those 'I'm not sure I agree on the grade' posts so apologies for that but I'm just looking for an opinion if you guys can see something I cant. Wanted to get this slabbed as I thought it would get a pretty high grade, 9.6 at the least. Inspected it before I dropped it off. All seemed good.

Picked it up and it's come back as a 9.4 and the Graders notes say that there is a 'bend right bottom front cover' For the life of me I cant see it and didn't see it when it was raw and in my hands.

What do you guys think? Worth querying?

IMG_5481.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 15.52.11.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,651 posts

My bet is you will see the very, very slight bend when or if you decide to break it out.  Some of the bends CGC sees can only be seen at an angle with special glasses and under the exactly correct lighting but it usually is there.  Said crease could probably be pressed out if you decide to go that route if you can't see it looking at it thru the slab.  We have all felt your pain at one time or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
619 posts

I certainly can't see it as shown in your scan. But agree that often you can't see said defect after it's slabbed.

But definitely not worth the price to break the slab, C&P and the regrade. At least not until/if the price of book goes up a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,774 posts
9 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

I certainly can't see it as shown in your scan. But agree that often you can't see said defect after it's slabbed.

But definitely not worth the price to break the slab, C&P and the regrade. At least not until/if the price of book goes up a lot.

Which stinks because if OP had gotten it pressed in the first place, he's not into the book for nearly as much as would be the case if they CPR it.  Live and learn, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50,405 posts
Posted (edited)

I see a bend.  The very faint diagonal-about 1.3 cm up from bottom running to about 0.8 cm  to left:

Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 9.02.39 PM.png

Edited by kav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
619 posts
5 minutes ago, kav said:

he very faint diagonal-about 1.3 cm up from bottom running to about 0.8 cm  to left

You have the eyes of an eagle. And what the heck is a cm? :baiting:

Correct answer might be what pretty much every other country uses except us (USA). They tried to convert us to that when I was a kid in school. Didn't take. We were like, this makes way too much sense, get rid of it now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50,405 posts
12 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

You have the eyes of an eagle. And what the heck is a cm? :baiting:

Correct answer might be what pretty much every other country uses except us (USA). They tried to convert us to that when I was a kid in school. Didn't take. We were like, this makes way too much sense, get rid of it now!

exactly what happens to kav when he makes too much sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
619 posts
7 minutes ago, kav said:

exactly what happens to kav when he makes too much sense

I do recall that one time fondly and will cherish it always :baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 posts

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Kav, you have incredible eyes!!!!! I honestly didn't see this before of after it was slabbed.

I'll keep it as is. I love this cover so it'll stay in my collection. I was hoping for a higher grade but it was not meant to be. Ah well, thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50,405 posts
31 minutes ago, Jitstark said:

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Kav, you have incredible eyes!!!!! I honestly didn't see this before of after it was slabbed.

I'll keep it as is. I love this cover so it'll stay in my collection. I was hoping for a higher grade but it was not meant to be. Ah well, thanks again.

Believe it or not my eyes arent so good I need a new perscription on my reading glasses but if I blink my eyes and move my head back and forth I can make out details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50,405 posts

9.4 is nothing to sneeze at.  Ps I dont recommend sneezing at comics, especially raw ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 posts
On 10/4/2019 at 10:52 AM, IbukiLord said:

This is a great cover, jealous.

It's one of my favourite symbiote covers. This and my 9.8 Artgerm Virgin for Absolute Carnage #1 are incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1