• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,015 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Anybody who pays a premium for stickers is absolutely insane. Do they think it's hard to copy them or something?

Well, it depends on the stickered issue.    Some were only printed as direct editions (I assume accidentally) with the sticker added later by Marvel (e.g., Spirits of Vengeance #13, Wolverine(2003) #44 --or #43, can't remember which, etc.), and I'd definitely pay a premium for those.   The stickered XMen(1991) #1 is a bit odd, those do exist with the UPC code and they are not that rare, so not sure that the stickered finds by F For Fake qualify as a rare collectible (but I'd certainly pay a bit of a premium for those as well, cool to have).

28 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Would this be a store sticker or something?

Looks like it.

The problem with stickers (other than at least potentially being damaging) is that anybody can make one and attach it to anything at any time for any reason. While they were occasionally used during the distribution process, it's not at all difficult to duplicate those.

5 minutes ago, NWOslave said:

what year is considered the beginning of the modern era because that is from 1980. 

It's up for debate, but copper is usually 80-89.... or thereabouts 

Some say bronze runs to 83-84,then its copper to 93-94....

But definitely 1980 isnt "modern" per se

But then you submit to cgc and they consider modern to be anything after 1975

For the boards safe to say at least after 94, per haps even 1990

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

27 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's up for debate, but copper is usually 80-89.... or thereabouts 

Some say bronze runs to 83-84,then its copper to 93-94....

But definitely 1980 isnt "modern" per se

But then you submit to cgc and they consider modern to be anything after 1975

For the boards safe to say at least after 94, per haps even 1990

interesting. what happens in 1975 for cgc consider it the turning point into the modern era?

53 minutes ago, NWOslave said:

interesting. what happens in 1975 for cgc consider it the turning point into the modern era?

Not sure but that's when the modern tier starts so idk

14 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
15 hours ago, NWOslave said:

Not sure but that's when the modern tier starts so idk

CGC started in 2000, so they probably just said "25 years or newer".  They quickly realized that "modern" would be a moving target, but instead of keeping it a "25 years or newer" rule - they kept modern at 1975 and there are books that are turning 46 this year.  The alternative is to charge more for 1975-1995 (if they used 25 years), so I don't think anyone is complaining. hm:grin:

21 hours ago, NWOslave said:

Nothing. It's just the name of a grading tier that was named 21 years ago. Do you collect comics from the Walkthrough era? How about the Economy era?

7 hours ago, valiantman said:

CGC started in 2000, so they probably just said "25 years or newer".  They quickly realized that "modern" would be a moving target, but instead of keeping it a "25 years or newer" rule - they kept modern at 1975 and there are books that are turning 46 this year.  The alternative is to charge more for 1975-1995 (if they used 25 years), so I don't think anyone is complaining. hm:grin:

If I recall correctly, when CGC first opened Modern tier was 1980 and was moved back to 1975 at a later date.

5 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

If I recall correctly, when CGC first opened Modern tier was 1980 and was moved back to 1975 at a later date.

I remember in 2016, thinking that people wouldn't really spend the extra cost to grade books like marvel premiere 16 2nd app or amazing adventures 11 or twelve that are so close to a cheaper rate

I don't recall my reasoning other than they weren't "major" keys or something lol