• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,015 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Lifesuggs said:

Talking Spidey newsstands here’s a fun one.

until you open it then there’s no telling it’s a newsstand 

4D599B51-E403-49B1-A46A-90CCB78D0511.jpeg

36E78D4E-48EB-485F-BB5B-31239C1C4FE6.jpeg

I have one of these in a box somewhere too. I bought 2 just to see if the comic in the bag was different than its direct edition version but it was identical, neither have a barcode on the actual comic. Ultimate Spider-man relaunched shortly after this with Miles as the main character and that issue #1 was polybagged in the direct market as well with no barcode on the actual comic but they did print the barcode on the newsstand version and didn't bag it. My comics are sitting storage right now while I move so I can't snap a pick of these but I thought it was strange that they bagged one of those issue on the newsstand market but not the other 🤗.

I find this an interesting answer as I have wondered about this. Case in point. I have a newsstand copy of KTOR # 50. Comichron says around 15,000ish of these were printed. And with the charts we have all seen floating around about percentage of direct vs newsstand books through the years, does that really mean only 150-180 or so copies of this newsstand issue exists? I find that very hard to believe. 

56 minutes ago, Eddie Powe said:

I find this an interesting answer as I have wondered about this. Case in point. I have a newsstand copy of KTOR # 50. Comichron says around 15,000ish of these were printed.

Comichron actually says that number is the Estimated Comics Shipped to North American Comics Shops (during that month), which is not the print run.

56 minutes ago, Eddie Powe said:

And with the charts we have all seen floating around about percentage of direct vs newsstand books through the years, does that really mean only 150-180 or so copies of this newsstand issue exists? I find that very hard to believe.

And so you should. Nobody would bother with newsstand distribution to sell a few hundred copies, especially when they would need to print a lot more than that to get those sales. There's a reason that publishers had Direct-only titles.

Even after Marvel left the newsstand market, it still accounted for around 5% of the sales. That's without any Marvel titles, without a bunch of DC titles, without a ton of titles from smaller publishers. So how likely is it that any issue ever sold only 1% of it's copies to the newsstand market? Some titles may have even sold as well or better though the newsstand market, though they would be the exception and obviously wouldn't include the top Direct sellers.

14 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Even after Marvel left the newsstand market, it still accounted for around 5% of the sales.

How’s that even possible? If they stopped newsstand distribution how in the hell do they sell stuff that’s not there? Also what’s your source for 5% of marvels sales were done at the newsstands after stores stopped carrying marvel comics? 

As well the comichron numbers are the only estimation we get so it’s the best we have. Same thing with the Newsstand percentages. Are they spot on? No but it’s an estimation from Marvels EIC. I imagine there not to far off considering newsstands were returnable. 

Edited by Corona smith

2 hours ago, Corona smith said:

How’s that even possible? If they stopped newsstand distribution how in the hell do they sell stuff that’s not there? Also what’s your source for 5% of marvels sales were done at the newsstands after stores stopped carrying marvel comics? 

As well the comichron numbers are the only estimation we get so it’s the best we have. Same thing with the Newsstand percentages. Are they spot on? No but it’s an estimation from Marvels EIC. I imagine there not to far off considering newsstands were returnable. 

17 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Even after Marvel left the newsstand market, it still accounted for around 5% of the sales. That's without any Marvel titles, without a bunch of DC titles, without a ton of titles from smaller publishers.

I can see how the wording may lend itself to misunderstanding, but the context shouldn't. Since my whole post was about the general newsstand market and the post to which I was responding wasn't about Marvel, I obviously wasn't talking specifically about Marvel's newsstand sales.

The newsstand percentages from the chart you posted here are 100% pure B.S. Not spot on, not close, not an estimation, not anything that deserves to be repeated.

Newsstands being returnable doesn't change the number sold. That's already accounted for because you're already looking at the number sold rather than printed. There were a lot more printed and they may still be out there (just ask Lifesuggs). This is the same nonsense spouted by everyone's favourite misinformation site. Don't be Ben.

In your estimation what do you think the percentages were? It was my understanding  the numbers were from Jim Shooter. I’ve never thought they were accurate numbers. I’d imagine if you tripled those numbers it’d be more believable. I just wish we had accurate numbers. 

Edited by Corona smith

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The newsstand percentages from the chart you posted here are 100% pure B.S.

I first came across that chart in a blog post Chuck from Mile High Comics wrote. Is that where it originates from? I assumed it was a lie because Chuck exaggerates everything to the point of ridiculousness but I never knew if he made that up completely or if it was at least somewhat based in numbers he had somewhere.

Personally, it seems to be an excuse to charge almost $200 for random 90s issues that ought to be in the dollar bin (see example). Even with his 50% off codeword that FF issue still runs $90. Has anyone ever paid $100 for Ff 389? Even graded? 😆

Screenshot_20210506-081633_Samsung Internet.jpg

Personally, I think you need to get up to around 2010 to even begin to worry about relative rarity or scarcity of newsstand issues. Anything before that is an artifact of hype and "market scarcity" which is not the same.

Edit to add: referring strictly to whether the decision to buy it is based upon its being a newsstand or not. For me, I need something more to the book than that it's a pre-2010 to buy it, while I will buy just about any post-2010 newsie I find regardless of underlying collectability ("just about" looking at you DC's Outsiders title!).

Edited by mrwoogieman