• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,015 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Outside the bag....

20200425_131400.jpg

what also trips me up is that it doesn't look like a "traditional newsstand barcode" imo but not sure...

Seems like there should be some spacing between the 3 and the 8...... or the barcode part under 3&8 is enlarged that it makes it look different lol :insane: 

Ignore me hahah, it is just a mystery for me .....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

what also trips me up is that it doesn't look like a "traditional newsstand barcode" imo but not sure...

Seems like there should be some spacing between the 3 and the 8...... or the barcode part under 3&8 is enlarged that it makes it look different lol :insane: 

ya I was just thinking out loud...... web search brought up a Overstreet price guide link 11th edtion, but didn't appear to have anything to do with #138....

If the internet doesn't yet know, hopefully it will soon :foryou: 

53 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not a Spawn, I know, but eerily similar, rounded corners and all. NOT production, seems to have been added.

Batman The Cult 3 0f 3 Graphic Novel 001.jpg

Batman The Cult 4 001.jpg

43 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

All of the "sticker newsstand copies are rounded if you look in the spawnworld link so …...???

http://spawnworld.com/features/The Definitive Guide to Spawn Newsstand Editions 20200224.pdf#page=3

So the original question asked is answered; This is an after production newsstand sticker, as the ones on the batman comics are after production.

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It’s on the book, but you’re correct. It’s not “factory”. That’s a store barcode, not a UPC.

2 hours ago, Lobstrosity said:

My guess would be that it was added after-the-fact, possibly by the retail store.

Nonetheless, congrats on finding the 136 and 137 - those are tough to find!

That’s my opinion as well.

1 hour ago, newshane said:

It’s on the book, but you’re correct. It’s not “factory”. That’s a store barcode, not a UPC.

Even if it was part of production or distribution, it's still just a sticker on a regular copy of the issue. If that interests anyone, let me know what issues you're looking for with stickers like that and I'll fire up the printer search relentlessly until I find a totally legitimate copy for you. (thumbsu

5 hours ago, Lobstrosity said:

It's interesting for sure ... but in doing my research for the SpawnWorld guide, I had it confirmed directly by the folks at McFarlane that 137 was the last newsstand issue printed.

Additionally, in all the hundreds (thousands likely) of Spawn newsstand issues I've seen, owned, and examined, I've never seen another sticker even close to that.

My guess would be that it was added after-the-fact, possibly by the retail store.

Nonetheless, congrats on finding the 136 and 137 - those are tough to find!

Thanks! 

That Spawn World Guide is awesome!

23 hours ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Outside the bag....

20200425_131400.jpg

Thats not uncommon Ive seen all types of books with UPCs, what has our attention is that its 138.

I would love to find out where it came from. Quite a mystery there. It almost makes me think a newsstand bought
it maybe for a customer and put a UPC on it? Very odd.

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Boy you have had a streak of luck lately.

What is really lucky is that all of these were for sale in my $5 boxes and nobody bought them at the shows they were at...:insane:

Wish I knew where they came from but I buy so much stuff that they could have come from literally anywhere.....