Show us your Modern Newsies!
14 14

820 posts in this topic

15,182 posts

that and I'm pretty sure the LCS new this was a newsie.....

They just graded it too low, I bought it was a 6.0 and was pleasently surprised lol 

those paying for a 9.0 and getting 8.0's came first, but I'll definitely have to be more careful ha, on live video sales.

As these weren't in store sales....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,182 posts

Video sales are hard because there is no scan, and usually never a back cover pic lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,412 posts
25 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

They really need someone proofing the copy in the barcode box

During the "Brand New Day" three times per month schedule "friendly, sensational & amazing" rotated on the UPC description for ASM newsies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,182 posts
2 minutes ago, bababooey said:
31 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

They really need someone proofing the copy in the barcode box

During the "Brand New Day" three times per month schedule "friendly, sensational & amazing" rotated on the UPC description for ASM newsies. 

Ah that's what it's all about lol

Never noticed haha thanks @GeeksAreMyPeeps

I may never have known? Is it not on the direct version that way?

Sounds like we need a new label notation! :idea: I'm jk of course but lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,657 posts
24 minutes ago, bababooey said:

During the "Brand New Day" three times per month schedule "friendly, sensational & amazing" rotated on the UPC description for ASM newsies. 

So is this technically not a mistake then? Even though everything was named "Amazing" was every third issue still annotated that way on the barcode because this slipped into the slot that Sensational had been distributed in?

 

image.png

image.png

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps
screwed up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,657 posts
2 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

So is this technically not a mistake then? Even though everything was named "Amazing" was every third issue still annotated that way on the barcode because this slipped into the slot that Sensational had been distributed in?

Ignore those images. Accidentally added them and it won't let me edit post to remove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,412 posts
1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Ignore those images. Accidentally added them and it won't let me edit post to remove

I ignored the whole thing, I already told you once. :slapfight: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,182 posts
Just now, bababooey said:
7 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Ignore those images. Accidentally added them and it won't let me edit post to remove

I ignored the whole thing, I already told you once. :slapfight: 

FYI I checked and the ASM #607 newsstand was in the barcode labeled "sensational" as well.

There are copies in ebay if you want a look.

Sorry for my confusion 😃 peace!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,412 posts
8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

FYI I checked and the ASM #607 newsstand was in the barcode labeled "sensational" as well.

There are copies in ebay if you want a look.

Sorry for my confusion 😃 peace!

No problem, there's an explanation At this link..  That article is good, some of the others on the rare comics blog site are a bit skewed or built on bad info.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,657 posts
38 minutes ago, bababooey said:

No problem, there's an explanation At this link..  That article is good, some of the others on the rare comics blog site are a bit skewed or built on bad info.  

Thanks for the link. I imagine that the Sensational- and Friendly-designated issues are rarer than their Amazing counterparts, if the numbers distributed have anything to do with the popularity of the titles before they all became Amazing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,412 posts
38 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Thanks for the link. I imagine that the Sensational- and Friendly-designated issues are rarer than their Amazing counterparts, if the numbers distributed have anything to do with the popularity of the titles before they all became Amazing

Yep, I'd assume the secondary titles were distributed to less newsstands than Amazing but people here only seem to focus on the ones where the newsstand price difference gets a newsstand label from CGC.  Sparky/Marwood and Dutch74 add some detail in the comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
539 posts
4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What do you mean? who does? the LCS?

If so, they need someone to grade a little better too. I've had advertised 9.0's come back 8.0, 9.4's come back as well 9.2 but that's ok......a 6.0 to 8.0 makes up for it I guess :wishluck: 

I bought a Malibu Sun advertised as 9.0 and fairly priced, came back an 8.0 :( but meh they mean well and are only 1 grade off or spot on most of the time....

I have a 1st frightful four raw from them as 4.0, I have a feeling now that it's in hand that it is only 3.0

and these aren't "in store sales"  they're over the video, so not real good pics

He was speaking of the Sensational Spider-Man near the barcode. My understanding was it was a money saver and they just went with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
539 posts
4 hours ago, bababooey said:

During the "Brand New Day" three times per month schedule "friendly, sensational & amazing" rotated on the UPC description for ASM newsies. 

How do you explain just about every newsstand for years having the wrong title near the barcode on modern marvel newsstand? There’s an awful lot of them that don’t coincide with the title of the book. I mean it used to say Uncanny X-Men if it was an Uncanny X-Men. I’ve been curious about this for awhile and would love to know why so many have the wrong title. 

Edited by Corona smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,182 posts
27 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

How do you explain just about every newsstand for years having the wrong title near the barcode on modern marvel newsstand? There’s an awful lot of them that don’t coincide with the title of the book. I mean it used to say Uncanny X-Men if it was an Uncanny X-Men. I’ve been curious about this for awhile and would love to know why so many have the wrong title. 

Did you catch the link?

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2016/06/10/amazing-spider-man-friendly-neighborhood-spider-man-sensational-spider-man/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,412 posts
1 hour ago, Corona smith said:

How do you explain just about every newsstand for years having the wrong title near the barcode on modern marvel newsstand? There’s an awful lot of them that don’t coincide with the title of the book. I mean it used to say Uncanny X-Men if it was an Uncanny X-Men. I’ve been curious about this for awhile and would love to know why so many have the wrong title. 

I have no idea but I'd GUESS that post 2000 newsstands/bookstores ordered using some dumbed down order form that listed top tier titles/characters like spidey 1, spidey 2 spidey 3, xmen 1, xmen 2, Hulk, Avengers 1, Avengers 2 etc... so that when the publisher chooses to cancel Marvel Team Up it gets replaced by Web of Spider-Man, then WoSM would just slide into the Spidey 3/MTU slot for newsstands and subscriptions.   With ASM taking over Spidey slots 1, 2 & 3 they just carried it forward and the 2&3 Spidey book cancelled were Friendly and Sensational. 

During my late 90's early 2000's collecting hiatus I had one convenience store that got Daredevil and ASM and another store that got only Hulk so there was continuity from month to month for each newsstand outlet so when Marvel cancels a title, anything creating a link from old to new maintains that newsstand order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
539 posts
2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was speaking of all the other books. I understand that those specific Spider-Man issues have bee explained. The following is a hulk book. Why does it say Wolverine? This is just one example of many. 

D215D3C6-C5BF-4F98-BE2D-DCA6B180C351.jpeg

Edited by Corona smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,412 posts

I can't explain the naming other than guessing that "Wolverine" slots might be available due to mature content running in some of the other Wolverine titles possibly opening up those newsstand slots..  (shrug)   

Also, the point-one issues were promoted as jumping on points, introducing stories or new creative teams while getting them into the hands of as many casual readers as possible.  That's why I think things like the ASM Big Time (#1 collection of three issues) were more common as newsstands than regular ASM issues.

Edited by bababooey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
511 posts

My 100 from my youth was a beat to hell DE, so I found this runmaging through the back issue bins.  

0905201702.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
115 posts

From my time in inventory I would assume besides ordering, recycling UPCs was a lot easier for when they were just using B&N and BAM.

otherwise every time they issued a new one they’d have to process a new SKU in the backend. By the time the were phased out the comics were pay per scan so they didn’t own them till they sold, so probably wasn’t worth all the effort and kept it simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,182 posts
1 hour ago, mec3437 said:

My 100 from my youth was a beat to hell DE, so I found this runmaging through the back issue bins.  

0905201702.jpg

Death of multiple man

I remember reading that issue as a kid, still have mine but it has a coffee stain lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
14 14