• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look like a 9.8?
2 2

98 posts in this topic

Just now, Lazyboy said:

And when a noob comes out swinging at everybody after misinterpreting everything as an attack on him, he's not going to get any consideration from most people. Especially when he's not really a noob, having been here for nearly two years. Oh, and when he's made jokes at the expense of real noobs in the past.

I see what you're saying.

4 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Somebody buy that darn book so that we can all call it a day.....  :preach:

^^:flipbait:  lol

-thread closed.

20 minutes ago, kav said:

Thx - I missed that apology and that was top notch.  Unfortunately others had already started chipping in and thread had gone south.  Met is def a good dude, made a joke that wasnt received well.  You see what I mean tho about other comments towards iconic didnt help matters?

Just so everyone knows, I missed the apology as well.  Apology accepted.  The whole point is that I don't know anyone that was replying snarky to me.  I only asked a simple question because I honestly thought maybe the case had been tampered with because the printing number was wrong and, to me, the book did not look like it was 9.8.

If you don't know someone and ask them a question, I honestly don't see a reason for them to smart off to you right off the bat.  I personally don't agree with the whole idea that it's okay to blame it on the culture either.  Shoot, just think of how many new people would not ask a question if they saw the type of response they would get.  If I ever made fun of a noob, as was stated somewhere above, I honestly don't remember that.

Lastly, I love a good joke as much as the next person but I did not take the tone of the original comment that started this whole thing as a joke.  It came across sarcastic and preachy and that's not what I thought was necessary coming from a stranger.  There are a lot of threads that are for messing with each other and they are a lot of fun, but I didn't think I was posting my question in one of them.  Maybe if I actually knew Miraclemet I would have known it was a joke.  If I don't know you and you come at me like that I'm going to come back at you.  I'm not the type to sit back and take it, on these forums or anywhere else.  I'm also, in my opinion (and just like Miraclemet), a pretty nice guy once you get to know me.  Again, apology accepted.

I hope everybody is willing to put this to rest now.

4 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

Just so everyone knows, I missed the apology as well.  Apology accepted.  The whole point is that I don't know anyone that was replying snarky to me.  I only asked a simple question because I honestly thought maybe the case had been tampered with because the printing number was wrong and, to me, the book did not look like it was 9.8.

If you don't know someone and ask them a question, I honestly don't see a reason for them to smart off to you right off the bat.  I personally don't agree with the whole idea that it's okay to blame it on the culture either.  Shoot, just think of how many new people would not ask a question if they saw the type of response they would get.  If I ever made fun of a noob, as was stated somewhere above, I honestly don't remember that.

Lastly, I love a good joke as much as the next person but I did not take the tone of the original comment that started this whole thing as a joke.  It came across sarcastic and preachy and that's not what I thought was necessary coming from a stranger.  There are a lot of threads that are for messing with each other and they are a lot of fun, but I didn't think I was posting my question in one of them.  Maybe if I actually knew Miraclemet I would have known it was a joke.  If I don't know you and you come at me like that I'm going to come back at you.  I'm not the type to sit back and take it, on these forums or anywhere else.  I'm also, in my opinion (and just like Miraclemet), a pretty nice guy once you get to know me.  Again, apology accepted.

I hope everybody is willing to put this to rest now.

And it's not one of these apologies accepteds either I gather:

Image result for apology accepted captain needa

If you were worried that the slab was tampered with you can rest assured that MYCOMICSHOP inspects every consignment slab for defects (cracks, external & internal scratches). I'm sure an altered slab would not get past them.

I had a consignment slab delivered to them with a crack... they sent it to CGC for a replacement and covered the postage... good peeps.

7 minutes ago, jokiing said:

If you were worried that the slab was tampered with you can rest assured that MYCOMICSHOP inspects every consignment slab for defects (cracks, external & internal scratches). I'm sure an altered slab would not get past them.

I had a consignment slab delivered to them with a crack... they sent it to CGC for a replacement and covered the postage... good peeps.

I love them guys.  I'm not a perfessional grader but every book I buy from them is like 2 full grades higher than their listed grade.

4 hours ago, kav said:

Direct advice is best when its asked for.

I have several trainees (and a grandson) who are very happy I disagree with this. So is my boss. Giving advice based on my decades of knowledge and experience when I see someone struggle with something more often than not makes things so much easier and smoother for everyone. Much better than just letting them learn the hard way, and it makes me feel good that I helped.

We had a trainee that simply would not take advice because he already knew it all, so he made several mistakes thinking his way was better. He isn't here any more because mistakes cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It may not get that bad with comic collecting, but why let someone spend money unwisely (for example)? 

8 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

I have several trainees (and a grandson) who are very happy I disagree with this. So is my boss. Giving advice based on my decades of knowledge and experience when I see someone struggle with something more often than not makes things so much easier and smoother for everyone. Much better than just letting them learn the hard way, and it makes me feel good that I helped.

We had a trainee that simply would not take advice because he already knew it all, so he made several mistakes thinking his way was better. He isn't here any more because mistakes cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It may not get that bad with comic collecting, but why let someone spend money unwisely (for example)? 

Advice on how to do a task is ok-advice on how someone should live their life, not so much.  That is the type advice I was responding to.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Advice on how to do a task is ok-advice on how someone should live their life, not so much.  That is the type advice I was responding to.

I just want to know how messing up as a Walmart greeter costs anyone hundreds of thousands of dollars? hm

On 11/23/2019 at 11:44 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

For nearly 20 years, there have been complaints like this, and also for nearly 20 years, those making such complaints have discovered, over time, that it wasn't actually the case. You're stepping into a long established culture, with people who have interacted with each other, and often formed long term, in person friendships, for many, many years.

It is a myth that new people are treated any differently than anyone else. No one is being "talked down to" because they are new.  These forums DO make people feel welcome, and part of that welcome is good-natured ribbing. It is every new person's job to learn to fit in to the culture...not force the culture to adapt to them. Miraclemet is a nice guy. He's trying to help you. Not that he needs me to defend him, but he's one of the last people on the board that would set out to offend someone on purpose.

Foley is correct. 

23 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No one "blamed" anything on the culture, because there was nothing to blame on it. You owe an apology as well. 

You re incorrect

Just now, Iconic1s said:
On 11/23/2019 at 9:44 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

For nearly 20 years, there have been complaints like this, and also for nearly 20 years, those making such complaints have discovered, over time, that it wasn't actually the case. You're stepping into a long established culture, with people who have interacted with each other, and often formed long term, in person friendships, for many, many years.

It is a myth that new people are treated any differently than anyone else. No one is being "talked down to" because they are new.  These forums DO make people feel welcome, and part of that welcome is good-natured ribbing. It is every new person's job to learn to fit in to the culture...not force the culture to adapt to them. Miraclemet is a nice guy. He's trying to help you. Not that he needs me to defend him, but he's one of the last people on the board that would set out to offend someone on purpose.

Foley is correct. 

25 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No one "blamed" anything on the culture, because there was nothing to blame on it. You owe an apology as well. 

You re incorrect

Again: no one "blamed" anything on the culture, because there was nothing to blame on it. It is an acknowledgment that there is an existing culture here that doesn't take things so personally so easily, that people resort to namecalling right out of the gate,

You owe an apology as well.

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

Again: no one "blamed" anything on the culture, because there was nothing to blame on it. It is an acknowledgment that there is an existing culture here that doesn't take things so personally so easily, that people resort to namecalling right out of the gate,

You owe an apology as well.

Not to you.

2 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

I'm having a battle of wits with an unarmed man!!!:jokealert:... maybe...

It's better than that one-armed man in The Fugitive!!!!