• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Board Game, Role Playing Game, Card Game, and Other Game Collection
1 1

26 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2020 at 7:27 PM, Mercury Man said:

Ok, so I picked this up a few weeks ago at Target. It was 50% off ($15 normally $30), and it is a blast.  My 7 year old and I play it.  Act 1 is a little tough for him being the shark, so I am the shark, then Act 2 he plays as the shark, and I play the crew, as it's a little more straightforward.   Such great 1970's nostalgia for me, I remember seeing it in the theatre as a young lad, freaky back in the day.   

1745046477_jawsgame.thumb.png.35ac715fb9b514cc18ce6a84783cccfc.png

I got this one for Xmas but haven't had a chance to play it yet!

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

I got this one for Xmas but haven't had a chance to play it yet!

Oh it's good stuff.   ACT 2 can actually kind of be done solo, if you wanted to try.   You would just randomize playing the 'Shark Ability' cards as you went, blindly draw a token, and see where he pops up, but it works.  

2 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Oh it's good stuff.   ACT 2 can actually kind of be done solo, if you wanted to try.   You would just randomize playing the 'Shark Ability' cards as you went, blindly draw a token, and see where he pops up, but it works.  

I've kinda been holding on until our next party. I got it specifically to play at our annual NYE party, then I got sick and the party was canceled, and since then I've just been slacking. I'm looking forward to it, though!

I'm making good progress on organizing purchases from the last few weeks. I finally had time to take a look at these games that I bought as complete. Thankfully, they are.

The transformers game has some beautiful artwork - that's the back of the game board in the picture. The Hunt for Red October comes with a massive instruction book. I can't imagine trying to get someone to try and play that thing with me.

Transformers Game.jpg

Wizard's World Game.jpg

Hunt for Red October Game.jpg

On 11/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, srezvan said:

I really enjoy the "This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection" thread, but I don't know if board games and other games really fit there. Let's see if this thread takes off.

I find myself trying to re-purchase games I had as a kid, hoping to get my wife and kids interested in them. Maybe some new games speak to you. Could be comic related, sci-fi, fantasy, or just cool.

Purchased this week - HeroQuest from 1990. 100% complete. Some photos below showing most of the pieces (not actual game play). I love the detail of the pieces. You play together against the dungeon master-like player, who reveals new rooms as you enter them, so the board starts mostly empty, then fills out as you go. You complete a series of quests that come with the game. Lots of fun.

Next up, finding all the expansion sets.

HeroQuest 1.jpg

HeroQuest 2.jpg

HeroQuest 3.jpg

HeroQuest 4.jpg

HeroQuest 5.jpg

HeroQuest 6.jpg

Would love to have this game.

On 3/1/2020 at 7:15 PM, JohnH19 said:

Does anyone else play or collect... the old Sports Illustrated line of games, etc.?

Yes, I have most of them including Paydirt, Bowl Bound, Golf, Baseball, and Decathlon. I also have copies of their magazine (Replay?) that Avalon Hill put out.

As a kid, I was lucky to have a neighbor who had the same passion for the SI line of games. We were playing all the time, and even had a 1970 Baseball league going (sadly a couple of guys dropped out and we never finished).

Our favorite was All-Time, All-Star Baseball. It was a challenge to try and fill in the few blank player names (which were omitted for legal reasons, I presume). After hundreds upon hundreds of games played, my copy is now sans box, is in poor condition, and also incomplete (missing some charts).