• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

first Marvel movie to become a broadway musical

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Ok, you live in southern California and don't know any entertainment industry types interested in live theatre? If your sister can't give away tickets to Los Angeles regional production, which are pretty high quality, my guess is she has a pretty narrow circle of friends. And frankly, most musicals don't excite me either, but there are some I want to see. Anyway, I think you just don't know a broad enough circle of people. You don't know any gay men or 58 year old women?

If theater was really THAT huge outside of broadway they wouldn’t be called “Broadway plays”.

An entire genre of art centered around one narrow strip of road. Imagine if comics were called “Oklahoma City Comics” and they were all sold only in Oklahoma City, but maybe the biggest ones would come to a city within 100 miles or so of you. That’s how theater in America is. Despite Los Angeles having a huge art and entertainment economy, live theater is an afterthought. And it’s not as if you have to actually live in Hollywood to see a Hollywood movie. 

38 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

An entire genre of art centered around one narrow strip of road. Imagine if comics were called “Oklahoma City Comics” and they were all sold only in Oklahoma City. 

You've just explained why retailer exclusive shop logo variants aren't as great as their tiny print runs would indicate.  Limited to 100 copies!  Super rare!  Own this extremely-limited comic from the place you've never been and wouldn't go, even if it was a free trip!  :shy:

39 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

If theater was really THAT huge outside of broadway they wouldn’t be called “Broadway plays”.

An entire genre of art centered around one narrow strip of road. Imagine if comics were called “Oklahoma City Comics” and they were all sold only in Oklahoma City, but maybe the biggest ones would come to a city within 100 miles or so of you. That’s how theater in America is. Despite Los Angeles having a huge art and entertainment economy, live theater is an afterthought. And it’s not as if you have to actually live in Hollywood to see a Hollywood movie. 

Musical and non-musical theater fan here. I live in Louisville, KY, quite a distance from New York. So, we have to make do with traveling tour show productions of the big musicals. The big shows (Hamilton obviously being the biggest of late) sell out their entire runs in no time flat, and even tried and true touring shows like Phantom, Cats, Les Miz, etc tend to sell out quickly. Louisville is a great theater town, though. In addition to the touring productions that come through the center for the arts, we also have our award winning Actors Theater of Louisville, and other smaller local theater companies.

Musical theater is alive and well across the entire nation. Different strokes for different folks. I have no idea how anyone could sit through an entire NASCAR race without blowing their brains out, but hey, it's not for me, and that's fine.

This is all seemingly anecdotal, but there's probably a million things attributing to the 'musical' scene working in New York.  Here's a few of my ideas.

1.  Core population of NYC is both larger with better public transit than any other city in the America.  Significantly larger.

2.  Nearby population of surrounding major metropolitan and suburban populations is extremely high, with many major cities within 2 hours.

3.  So even IF NYC and the surrounding cities had the exact avg percentage population who goes to musicals as the rest of America, that's already a TON of people, from just the above 2.  BUT we know that major cities in general and NYC in particular have a higher percentage of people willing to patronize artistic endeavors is higher than the average city.

4.  Self-sustaining artistic ecosystem:  Because NYC is a hub of entertainment including acting, music, musicals, theater, and other arts, it draws more artists and artists friends and family members that will attend artistic endeavors of all kinds.

5.  Business center:  When you've got tons of business (even non-art related) in one place, you've got to provide tons of perks and gifts for employees and clients.  Obviously NYC is the largest financial center in America, with tons of businesses.

6.  Tourism - People come from all over the country and world to NYC.  Like tons and tons and tons. 

7.  Weather isn't perfect - Gotta have something to do when its too cold or too hot.