Manhunt #12 Raw RARE sold for $3,351 ?!?
3 3

53 posts in this topic

5,667 posts

Wow did anyone see this eBay auction end tonight for Manhunt #12 raw?

I had never seen this book before. Apparently it is pretty darn rare in the truer sense of the word. 

Anyone know much about this or its backstory?  
 

FF6AB189-05FE-4DD1-8B76-EB762C9199B7.thumb.jpeg.7333455b7bf34458f0e7661a3c19b354.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,667 posts

Not comics.org nor any other site I have seen have listed reference to it existing. 
 

It’s always interesting to me to observe realized prices for truly rare items. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,667 posts
3 minutes ago, lbcolefan said:

A CGC .5 copy sold last month at Comic Collect for over 7k. They had a full page write up about how it was 1 of a kind. I imagine the buyer is a little upset to see this one show up and sell for less than half of the graded copy!

Oh wow. I had no clue. Thanks for sharing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,400 posts

Looks like the copy on eBay was printed in Canada.

Don't know if that’s the story behind this comic in general, or now a “variant” of a one of a kind comic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,172 posts

This was the link for the ComicConnect one, but it's down now due to the website update: https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=857054

From a cached version of the webpage here is ComicConnect's description:

 

"Manhunt #11 was published by Magazine Enterprises in August 1948. #12 should have followed the next month, but for unknown reasons, that issue was never published. Four years later, in 1952, Manhunt #13 appeared, the issue was subtitled as A-1 #63. For more than 70 years collectors thought this book did not exist; Robert Overstreet at first suspected its existence, but eventually dropped the listing completely from his guide. The Gerber photo journals purported that it was never printed, and online comic sources don't even acknowledge the issue.

This year a copy surfaced at a flea market, purchased with several hundred other comics. It features an Ogden Whitney cover and interior art by two legends in the industry, L.B. Cole and "Fritz" aka Frank Frazetta, which only adds to the appeal of this unearthed treasure. The exact history of this issue remains a mystery, but if it is the sole existing copy of Manhunt #12, it could be the holy grail of pre-code comics, and even the rarest published comic book ever.

"After nearly six decades of discovery and documenting throughout our hobby, it seems hard to imagine a published and distributed comic book of which a copy has never surfaced," stated Matt Nelson, president of CCS. "But here it is, a Manhunt #12, opening up the possibility that there are other published comic books we haven't discovered yet. An incredible, exciting find!"

"I've been buying and selling comics for over 30 years. When I was approached with this book, I thought surely, I had bought and sold a copy at some point, but lo and behold, when I checked my database zilch! Then I conferred with my partner, Stephen Fishler, and he agreed he had never seen a copy. We knew we had to have it for our auction," proclaimed COO of ComicConnect, Vincent Zurzolo. "The words rare and scarce can sometimes be used rather carelessly, but in this case, they don't do this book justice, unique, or one-of-a-kind may be better. The book presents so much better than the 1.0 grade, but for the coupon cut out of the back cover."

"Rarely in the history of comics, especially after 50 years exposure of the Overstreet price guide, has a Golden Age book long thought to not exist surface," Bob Overstreet stated. "The title of the book is Manhunt, issue #12. The cover date is blocked out with a horizontal white bar and there is no indicia. There is no publishing information and no date of publication. Its value will be determined in the marketplace."

This extraordinary discovery is sure to be a hotly contested item."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582 posts

It was thought to not exist until the CC copy came out. Published in Canada, maybe an American printing exists. Can't wait for more copies to show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,447 posts
19 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

This was the link for the ComicConnect one, but it's down now due to the website update: https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=857054

From a cached version of the webpage here is ComicConnect's description:

 

"Manhunt #11 was published by Magazine Enterprises in August 1948. #12 should have followed the next month, but for unknown reasons, that issue was never published. Four years later, in 1952, Manhunt #13 appeared, the issue was subtitled as A-1 #63. For more than 70 years collectors thought this book did not exist; Robert Overstreet at first suspected its existence, but eventually dropped the listing completely from his guide. The Gerber photo journals purported that it was never printed, and online comic sources don't even acknowledge the issue.

This year a copy surfaced at a flea market, purchased with several hundred other comics. It features an Ogden Whitney cover and interior art by two legends in the industry, L.B. Cole and "Fritz" aka Frank Frazetta, which only adds to the appeal of this unearthed treasure. The exact history of this issue remains a mystery, but if it is the sole existing copy of Manhunt #12, it could be the holy grail of pre-code comics, and even the rarest published comic book ever.

"After nearly six decades of discovery and documenting throughout our hobby, it seems hard to imagine a published and distributed comic book of which a copy has never surfaced," stated Matt Nelson, president of CCS. "But here it is, a Manhunt #12, opening up the possibility that there are other published comic books we haven't discovered yet. An incredible, exciting find!"

"I've been buying and selling comics for over 30 years. When I was approached with this book, I thought surely, I had bought and sold a copy at some point, but lo and behold, when I checked my database zilch! Then I conferred with my partner, Stephen Fishler, and he agreed he had never seen a copy. We knew we had to have it for our auction," proclaimed COO of ComicConnect, Vincent Zurzolo. "The words rare and scarce can sometimes be used rather carelessly, but in this case, they don't do this book justice, unique, or one-of-a-kind may be better. The book presents so much better than the 1.0 grade, but for the coupon cut out of the back cover."

"Rarely in the history of comics, especially after 50 years exposure of the Overstreet price guide, has a Golden Age book long thought to not exist surface," Bob Overstreet stated. "The title of the book is Manhunt, issue #12. The cover date is blocked out with a horizontal white bar and there is no indicia. There is no publishing information and no date of publication. Its value will be determined in the marketplace."

This extraordinary discovery is sure to be a hotly contested item."

 

I guess I was wrong, it was a 1.0. It was missing the coupon on the back cover and about 1/2” of the bottom right corner of the whole book was missing. Otherwise it looked pretty nice.

4 of the stories were also published in Trail Colt 1 and 1 was in Manhunt 13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,782 posts
1 hour ago, bounty_coder said:

Not comics.org nor any other site I have seen have listed reference to it existing. 

They have a cover image and note the book as a Canadian issue containing reprints from prior Magazine Enterprises issues.

https://www.comics.org/series/151011/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582 posts
25 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

They have a cover image and note the book as a Canadian issue containing reprints from prior Magazine Enterprises issues.

https://www.comics.org/series/151011/

Which was just added. Wasn't there 2 weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,278 posts
2 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

The book presents so much better than the 1.0 grade, but for the coupon cut out of the back cover."

 

1 hour ago, lbcolefan said:

I guess I was wrong, it was a 1.0. It was missing the coupon on the back cover and about 1/2” of the bottom right corner of the whole book was missing. Otherwise it looked pretty nice.

This is a perfect example of a case where I find the CGC Universal grade to be totally misleading and useless.  :p

This is where the consignor should have had the book graded with a Green Qalified label because it sure as heck looked much nicer than your normal CGC 1.0 graded book save for the missing coupon which is probably the rreason they took it all the way down to a 1.0 grade.  doh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,942 posts

The strong CC sale will likely bring a few more copies to surface (as already is the case)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,782 posts
4 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Which was just added. Wasn't there 2 weeks ago.

The page’s change history link says 2019-10-11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,520 posts

Goes to show the rarity of some Canadian books ;) I think if it had been published in the US it would already be a known commodity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,520 posts
1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

The page’s change history link says 2019-10-11.

Same difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,550 posts
8 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

The strong CC sale will likely bring a few more copies to surface (as already is the case)

I will second that....still a great find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,076 posts

Has anyone figured out where the cover is from. Is it an unpublished Whitney one, that ME let Superior use, or does it come from a splash page? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3