• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I buy a fake CGC book

7 posts in this topic

I recently bought a CGC 5.5 Batman #99 off eBay. I couldn't help notice how badly degraded the label looked (looks like it's been left in the sun for too long). Then I noticed how the top label was slightly ripped off. I then started to doubt the book inside the slab was a 5.5. I think it looked like a 4.5 but I don't know. I did check the barcode, which showed me that it was graded in 2015 so I assume the label lost a bit of its vibrancy over the years. The slab is intact but when I compared to my other 2019 CGC slab this one just felt more 'fake' even though I know there's a 4 year difference in slab technology and labels. What do you guys think?

20200108_161551.jpg

20200108_161600.jpg

20200108_161605.jpg

20200108_161610.jpg

20200108_161634.jpg

20200108_161701.jpg

no I dont think its a fake... 

the newer slabs are different from the older ones. 

I have a few with the top label kind of off like yours its just from handling etc... its normal for those types of slabs.

Your good! 

Looks good to me. I have many from that generation of slab (9.6 or 9.8, modern, bronze, and even silver) all legit. The slab gen before that is even more notorious for the peeling labels on top.

Nice book BTW!