• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do books with unknown or unseen printing errors get labeled and graded?

36 posts in this topic

Now that it’s posted I know there will be a lot of “it’s fake” and I’m ready for that and do not have to defend myself because I know the origin of the book.

Im not here to sell or argue and will be open and impartial to all comments

Just trying to find out from people that know and understand CGC how this might be graded

11 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Now that it’s posted I know there will be a lot of “it’s fake” and I’m ready for that and do not have to defend myself because I know the origin of the book.

Im not here to sell or argue and will be open and impartial to all comments

Just trying to find out from people that know and understand CGC how this might be graded

Ya it's a touchy thing, I would say that to my knowledge unless it's already acknowledged by cgc, it gets a qualified label..... that's my understanding on the subject.

There have been threads, I think the get marwood and I thread way back when ended up at this conclusion. 

I understand also that it can be difficult to call cgc and ask, as you'll get different answers, to be honest here might be the same :sorry:.....

If it's not to much $$ might as well send it in yourself and document for the future people in this situation...

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya it's a touchy thing, I would say that to my knowledge unless it's already acknowledged by cgc, it gets a qualified label..... that's my understanding on the subject.

There have been threads, I think the get marwood and I thread way back when ended up at this conclusion. 

I understand also that it can be difficult to call cgc and ask, as you'll get different answers, to be honest here might be the same :sorry:.....

If it's not to much $$ might as well send it in yourself and document for the future people in this situation...

Yes I had called and did not get any kind of answer that makes sense.

was told qualified...then I dug deeper into other errors that get universal...then basically it turned into “its up to the grader and my pre grade comments pointing out the error.

thing is it sticks out like a sore thumb and there’s not much to point out.

yea I’m going to send but I’d hate to get a qualified for something that happened during manufacturing that does not compromise the integrity of the book.

Its a waste of time and money...

but yea I’m going have to just do it.

thanks

9 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Yes I had called and did not get any kind of answer that makes sense.

was told qualified...then I dug deeper into other errors that get universal...then basically it turned into “its up to the grader and my pre grade comments pointing out the error.

thing is it sticks out like a sore thumb and there’s not much to point out.

yea I’m going to send but I’d hate to get a qualified for something that happened during manufacturing that does not compromise the integrity of the book.

Its a waste of time and money...

but yea I’m going have to just do it.

thanks

The way I'm understanding it

You're asking questions for what best to say in the notes for the cgc grader, no harm no foul (thumbsu

I dont know how the grader determines but :

I assume it depends on factors outside my expertise: manufacturing check, what kind of manufacturing error that the grader can't tell until in hand, I dont know if common or rarity is a factor.....

like you said, cgc seems vague, but them not wanting to give away secrets seems even more vague...

like distorted hologram is it the hologram that's defunct, or what attributes it to blue label, Idk....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, unclezebo said:

You would think there would be some sort of standard. (shrug)

That's the thing, I think standard = manufacturing error = qualified

I dont know why the blue labels that are essentially still "manufacturing errors" get the blue.

I'm tempted to say it is market value, but as I'm not sure cgcs stance, I dont want to assume....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

20 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The way I'm understanding it

You're asking questions for what best to say in the notes for the cgc grader, no harm no foul (thumbsu

I dont know how the grader determines but :

I assume it depends on factors outside my expertise: manufacturing check, what kind of manufacturing error that the grader can't tell until in hand, I dont know if common or rarity is a factor.....

like you said, cgc seems vague, but them not wanting to give away secrets seems even more vague...

like distorted hologram is it the hologram that's defunct, or what attributes it to blue label, Idk....

I have gotten back blues that are not noted as such and it pisses me off...I’ll not dare bash CGC for they are my service of choice but I wish (I’m sure along with everyone else that there would be more consistency and protocol that’s generally know).

Now that this thread is open hopefully others can use it for there similar questions or concerns and continue to have good advice by those that have more regular and varied submissions to CGC.

Im sending my Venom silver to get pressed (I use Hero Restoration by the way) 

I’ll wait for on site grading since I’ll be attending Orlando Megacon in April.

Ill share my results when that time comes.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

2 hours ago, unclezebo said:

You would think there would be some sort of standard. (shrug)

There is. Manufacturing errors get qualified labels. There are some exceptions, like the Venom Black and Venom Gold, but they are the exceptions, not the rule.

I'd like to see this book in person. It looks like the "foil" (which I'm fairly certain is really only a metallic plastic, not actual metal leaf) reacted with something along the way.

19 hours ago, unclezebo said:

Are double cover's blue label? I don't think I've ever paid any attention, since I don't own any.

Absolutely, unless there's some other factor which takes the book out of the Universal category. 

Both covers have to be graded and documented on the label. The book will be graded as high as the highest graded cover. The same principle applies no matter how many covers the book has (for instance, if a book has four covers and the third cover is the nicest, it will receive the grade of the third cover).  

Edited by The Lions Den

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm sticking with Jerome's ( @Lethal_Collector ) original analysis.

:tink:

21 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Now that this thread is open hopefully others can use it for there similar questions or concerns and continue to have good advice by those that have more regular and varied submissions to CGC.

Im sending my Venom silver to get pressed (I use Hero Restoration by the way) 

I’ll wait for on site grading since I’ll be attending Orlando Megacon in April.

Ill share my results when that time comes.

I am super curious what CGC will do with this book.  Thanks for taking one for the team and subbing it!

Jerome

10 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

The book will be graded as high as the highest graded cover. The same principle applies no matter how many covers the book has (for instance, if a book has four covers and the third cover is the nicest, it will receive the grade of the third cover).

I have tons of respect for you but you know this is not entirely true.  :foryou:

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy