• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, what was the first CGC graded comic you purchased?
4 4

79 posts in this topic

My first was this 8.0 Swamp Thing #22 with white pages that I purchased on eBay in 2016 for $24.98 ($19.99 BIN plus $4.99 shipping):

1987040425_CGC8.0SwampThing22.thumb.jpg.ff5e759bb331e63c7fc8b282777d65aa.jpg

I wanted at least one slab in my collection to know what they were like, collected Swamp Thing, and thought the price was reasonable.

On 8/9/2020 at 12:08 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Ughh... I have tried tracking back down my first CGC graded comic and pretty sure @valiantman now owns it. I sold it a long time ago and still wish I didn't.  Not that it is particularly valuable.  It was just the early days of CGC and a sample label.20200809_000500.jpg.4a1ef9fdf3eba92cf3556b111535134d.jpg

I don't want to sell it - especially since it's not particularly valuable - but if you want to make sure your old child is still safe and sound (and add another photo to your scrapbook), here you go:

0010955001_1200.jpg

52 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't want to sell it - especially since it's not particularly valuable - but if you want to make sure your old child is still safe and sound (and add another photo to your scrapbook), here you go:

0010955001_1200.jpg

I completely understand and didn't think you would sell it. Although if you ever do I would definitely be interested.  I am glad that it at least ended up where someone wasn't just sending it back for a new slab . The sample case was the main history and reason I originally got the book and was my first CGC graded comic I ever purchased. Really wish I never let it go, but glad it at least found a good home. Thanks again for sharing it in all its CGC Sample glory.

4 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
5 hours ago, valiantman said:

0010955001_1200.jpg

I completely understand and didn't think you would sell it. Although if you ever do I would definitely be interested.  I am glad that it at least ended up where someone wasn't just sending it back for a new slab . The sample case was the main history and reason I originally got the book and was my first CGC graded comic I ever purchased. Really wish I never let it go, but glad it at least found a good home. Thanks again for sharing it in all its CGC Sample glory.

Another interesting thing about the CGC sample cases is that they were recorded with a CGC Serial Number matching to Adventures of Superman #500, even if that wasn't the book inside.  The grade was not stored, so it's a sample that isn't included in the CGC Census.

Here's the official CGC lookup for that slab:  https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/0010955001/

Grade: 0.0 :grin:

EDIT: Just noticed that the grade date is 2012, so I don't know what happened to mess up the database there.  I think the Grade Date was missing in the past, maybe they picked a date for books without a grade date so the database wouldn't have nulls.

Edited by valiantman

55 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Another interesting thing about the CGC sample cases is that they were recorded with a CGC Serial Number matching to Adventures of Superman #500, even if that wasn't the book inside.  The grade was not stored, so it's a sample that isn't included in the CGC Census.

Here's the official CGC lookup for that slab:  https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/0010955001/

Grade: 0.0 :grin:

EDIT: Just noticed that the grade date is 2012, so I don't know what happened to mess up the database there.  I think the Grade Date was missing in the past, maybe they picked a date for books without a grade date so the database wouldn't have nulls.

That is some interesting information.  I appreciate you sharing it. Thank you.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

It’s the date they screwed up :roflmao:

I think it was a Spider-man 2 believe it or not.  I remember buying it from Pacific Comic Exchange.

It was originally an old label 3.0 and it was one of the last books I needed to complete my original ASM run.  I still have it and after a press and resubmit it came back a 5.0. 

image.png.5681bff1145c6ed2e121471ff620bb5c.png

Edited by Buzzetta