• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The different comic book ages and what they brought.
2 2

84 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jools&jim said:

Golden Age:  DISCOVERY.

Silver Age:    INNOCENCE.

Bronze Age:  EXPERIENCE.

Copper Age:  DECLINE.

Modern Age:  DARKNESS.

Omg NAILED IT bro!!  (worship)

55 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

Modern Age:  DARKNESS.

My interpretation is that every Age has a lot of garbage and mediocrity, punctuated by occasional flashes of brilliant light.

The Modern Age is no different.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

punctuated by occasional flashes of brilliant light.

So like kav, you're sayin?

22 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

My interpretation is that every Age has a lot of garbage and mediocrity, punctuated by occasional flashes of brilliant light.

The Modern Age is no different.

My interpretation is that anomalous "brilliance" does not make nor define an "Age"; that commonplace similarities between so-called "ages" are essentially banal; and that a tendency towards ever-increasing levels of solipsism, nihilism, and licentiousness are endemic to art and to culture in general over time.

Whether or not that works for any given reader or fan is a matter of personal taste. But that does not invalidate the idea that things inevitably change, and not always for the better...

Edited by jools&jim

2 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

My interpretation is that anomalous "brilliance" does not make or define an "Age"; that commonplace similarities are essentially banal; and that a tendency towards ever-increasing levels of solipsism, nihilism, and licentiousness are endemic to art and to culture in general over time.

Whether or not that works for any given reader or fan is a matter of personal taste. But that does not invalidate the idea that things inevitably change, and not always for the better...

mail.gif

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

"Copper Age: Creativity exploded-many new publishers with many new ideas. "

Man, you are a flip flopper xD

dang.

I mean the major publishers declined but the indy stuff exploded-as a reaction to the decline.

1 minute ago, kav said:

dang.

I mean the major publishers declined but the indy stuff exploded-as a reaction to the decline.

Uh huh.

I've never heard anyone else describe the copper age as a "decline". I've heard it described as a new golden age, but never a "decline".

(shrug)

16 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Uh huh.

I've never heard anyone else describe the copper age as a "decline". I've heard it described as a new golden age, but never a "decline".

(shrug)

Not even the major publishers?  This stuff is utter garbage IMO-just compare to SA or BA Spider Man:
http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/amazing-spider-man/6

Edited by kav

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Not even the major publishers?  This stuff is utter garbage IMO-just compare to SA Spider Man:
http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/amazing-spider-man/6

Did you ever read any of it? There's a lot of good stuff in there. I'm not arguing personal taste, I just disagree that the Copper age's best description is "decline". From the way creators were treated to the actual material, I would hardly call it a decline.

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Did you ever read any of it? There's a lot of good stuff in there. I'm not arguing personal taste, I just disagree that the Copper age's best description is "decline". From the way creators were treated to the actual material, I would hardly call it a decline.

I stopped reading then due to being repeatedly disgusted with the material.  Perhaps there's good stuff.  I pretty much only read indy stuff at that point.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I stopped reading then due to being repeatedly disgusted with the material.  Perhaps there's good stuff.  I pretty much only read indy stuff at that point.

Byrne FF, Perez Teen Titans, Miller Daredevil, Simonson Thor, Stern / Romita Jr Spider-Man..etc etc

I'd hardly call it a decline.

He didn't call the Copper age "decline" with any caveat about indie stuff.

Edited by Logan510

Just now, Logan510 said:

Byrne FF, Perez Teen Titans, Miller Daredevil, Simonson Thor, Stern / Romita Jr Spider-Man..etc etc

I'd hardly call it a decline.

Not a fan but I understand many like the stuff.  Perez art is always great but I found the stories juvenile.  The other stuff is gonna be a no from me.  

29 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

The mid/late-'80s had its high points, no doubt (Miller on DD; Byrne on FF; Simonson on Thor; Wolfman & Pérez on Teen Titans; Moore & Bissette on Swamp Thing; etc.).  But the general and trend-setting trajectory was downward: heroic optimism and goofy adventuring were replaced by grittier & ultra-violent "realism" (The Dark Knight Returns); deconstruction (Byrne's Superman; Giffen's Dr. Fate); dissolution (Claremont's convoluted and continuity-bloated X-Men); tortured and conflicted anti-heroes (Miller's Wolverine; Zeck's Punisher); and plenty of violence for its own sake.

Again, whether or not this worked for you if you were there (and I was) ain't the point.  The times they were a-changing...

Edited by jools&jim

1 minute ago, jools&jim said:

The mid/late-'80s had its high points, no doubt (Miller on DD; Byrne on FF; Simonson on Thor; Wolfman & Pérez on Teen Titans; Moore & Bissette on Swamp Thing; etc.).  But the general and trend-setting trajectory was downward: heroic optimism and goofy adventuring were replaced by grittier & ultra-violent "realism" (The Dark Knight Returns); deconstruction (Byrne's Superman; Giffen's Dr. Fate); dissolution (Claremont's convoluted and continuity-bloated X-Men); tortured and conflicted anti-heroes (Miller's Wolverine; Zeck's Punisher); and plenty of violence for its own sake.

Again, whether or not this worked for you if you were there (and I was) ain't the point.  The times the were a-changing...

whenever angst becomes the mission statement it's decline in my book.