• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic's Worth ???
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Used to collect comics and sports memorabilia years ago,but stopped all of it when the bottom fell out of collecting(money wise) But I'm looking for a good site that I can check out the worth of my comics...Would really like to check one out...thanks

At some point someone will respond: "It is worth what someone will pay for it."

Which is true...but not terribly helpful

The following sites are solid starting points that you can check for free

comicbookrealm.com

comicspriceguide.com

EBAY sold listings

18 hours ago, rockyd57 said:

Used to collect comics and sports memorabilia years ago,but stopped all of it when the bottom fell out of collecting(money wise) But I'm looking for a good site that I can check out the worth of my comics...Would really like to check one out...thanks

If it has been a while (say, 15 years or more) since you collected, the introduction of third-party grading (particularly CGC) has basically re-introduced the idea of actually grading the condition of comics.  Before CGC, "near mint" was pretty much any book in any comic shop without any obvious flaws.  Today, CGC 9.8 mostly represents books without any flaws at all, particularly for modern books, and the price guides might say CGC 9.8 is $200 (for example), but the fact is that the book itself might be $5 ungraded.  CGC 9.6 might be $80.  CGC 9.4 might be $40.  Ungraded might be $5.  Don't get too excited if you have raw books "worth $200" in CGC 9.8, because they probably aren't 9.8.  They might not be 9.6.  They might not be 9.4.  It would cost about $30 to find out.  A bunch of $30 grading fees (with shipping and insurance) will have you hundreds of dollars down and possibly no way to dig out of the hole (if the grades aren't high enough).  At that point, $5 might start looking pretty good.

Here's a 20 year old article that a younger guy I knew wrote before CGC existed: sellcomics.com

Edited by valiantman

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Mycomicshop lists just about every comic, both in their sale section and their buying section. It's particularly handy when you check prices of runs.

MCS for sale prices are extremely high (they undergrade but charge the next grade up price) and the prices they are paying are low compared to FMV.

eBay sold listings are IMO, a true reflection of FMV at this time as long as you only look at auction prices that had numerous bidders and where the price was not inflated due to a bidding war.

If you are only looking for a "General Idea" of value there is always the old fallback...The Overstreet Price Guide.

And Do Not Forget...You need to look for books in the same grade as yours.

11 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

MCS for sale prices are extremely high (they undergrade but charge the next grade up price) and the prices they are paying are low compared to FMV.

eBay sold listings are IMO, a true reflection of FMV at this time as long as you only look at auction prices that had numerous bidders and where the price was not inflated due to a bidding war.

If you are only looking for a "General Idea" of value there is always the old fallback...The Overstreet Price Guide.

And Do Not Forget...You need to look for books in the same grade as yours.

That's not my experience, whatsoever. Except for a few overpriced consignment items, I find their prices very fair. The buying prices are pretty low, but give you a great idea of what books are popular and which are fodder.

If any of your books are graded then gocollect is a great resource. I also bounce books I'm about to buy off of mycomicshop just to make sure I'm in the ball park. Some of their consignment prices are ridiculous but most of their in house pricing has been accurate in my experience.

23 hours ago, shadroch said:

That's not my experience, whatsoever. Except for a few overpriced consignment items, I find their prices very fair. The buying prices are pretty low, but give you a great idea of what books are popular and which are fodder.

22 hours ago, Steelrain41 said:

If any of your books are graded then gocollect is a great resource. I also bounce books I'm about to buy off of mycomicshop just to make sure I'm in the ball park. Some of their consignment prices are ridiculous but most of their in house pricing has been accurate in my experience.

First let me say, I have no issues with MCS, I used to buy from them years ago and I was very happy with the books and service, they are a business looking to make money so they can ask any price for any item, however, saying that their current prices are = to FMV...???, (If what books are actually selling for = FMV) We can agree to disagree on this although I have what I consider to be Black and White proof.

My Son is selling his books, I took the keys, graded them and priced them. ( about 300 books, All Raw)

The list of books for sale that I made for us has two prices, eBay sold auction prices (same grade as our books, I scan their pics and judge the grade for myself, using the most current auction prices, a minimum of 5 bidders, being sure there was no bidding war, etc) and what online comic shops are asking for the same books in the same grade, using prices from MCS (not their consignment books which IMO are Stupidly Ridiculous) and Metropolis, MCS is not even close on most, $200 + difference on ASM 300 VF+ 7.5.

My initial asking price is the average of the MCS/Metropolis price and I usually have a lot of wiggle room since on most listings MCS is 50% - 100% higher than eBay sold auction prices.  :preach:   2c

Either way, the OP has been given a few choices as to how to determine the value of his books, eBay, Overstreet, MCS and other online comic stores, his LCS, etc, hopefully his question has been answered to his satisfaction.