• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,665 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh yeah I definitely remember that sale from what feels like a million years ago lol. And since that sale, a 9.9 has sold for $23K at auction. Consider prior to that $23K sale, 9.9’s were selling in the $7K-$12K range on the average. I mean do the math, there’s like 10 9.9’s that can sell in the $20K range. That single 10.0 could be the first copper/modern book to break $100K.

I venture tmnt 1 in 9.9 would do the trick, although none (yet) exist. Perhaps 9.8 one day...

Edited by Northwest

54 minutes ago, Northwest said:

I venture tmnt 1 in 9.9 would do the trick, although none (yet) exist. Perhaps 9.8 one day...

Oh yeah, if a TMNT 1 first print 9.9 existed it would EASILY do it. Probably sell for several hundred thousand. I wouldn’t hold your breath though on a TMNT 1 ever garnering a grade of 9.9 lol. With that black cover it’s insanely lucky enough to get a 9.8, and it’s so rare already. Definitely possible in the foreseeable future a 9.8 may break $100K, I wouldn’t be surprised to see that.

Edited by LDarkseid1

8 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Definitely possible in the foreseeable future a 9.8 may break $100K, I wouldn’t be surprised to see that.

The way the book is going now I expect to see this happen sooner rather than later... within a year or two or around the new movie reboot release.

22 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
23 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

I agree.  I know that the "CVA Exceptional" sticker gets a lot of grief on the Boards, but the fact is those books consistently present better than the assigned grades.

I agree and despite being an unpopular opinion, on the average a book that garners the CVA sticker tends to present nicer than other copies.

Well, I would also agree and this should be completely expected because this is exactly the service that the submittor/consignor is paying for.  hm  

Similarly, if you are paying CGC to have a book graded, then you would expect a CGC 9.6 graded copy to actually be at a higher condition level than a CGC 9.0 or even a CGC 9.4 copy.  After all, isn't this the exact service which you are paying for when you submit a book into CGC?  (shrug)

With respect to the "CVA Exceptional" sticker, I actually think the "QES" sticker from ComicConnect imparts a bit more information to potential bidders.  Especially when the CVA sticker is just a generic sticker while the QES stickers on the back comes with a detailed itemization of the specific attributes that qualifies the book in question for this sticker.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, thewritestuff said:

I’m curious, do these companies suggest the stickers to the consignor, and if so, does anyone know how often? How much do they charge for the sticker/service?

Comiclink  called me with a suggestion of a CVA sticker on a book I had submitted for grading through them, to be sent to auction. I believe the cost was $35.00 at the time. I went with their suggestion.

Edited by comicnoir

10 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Comiclink  called me with a suggestion of a CVA sticker on a book I had submitted for grading through them, to be sent to auction. I believe the cost was $35.00 at the time. I went with their suggestion.

They contacted me during a Sept. or Oct. auction this year and said it was $12. I’m not sure if the price fluctuates based on the value of the book or not though.

1 minute ago, EyelessZombie said:
14 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

They contacted me during a Sept. or Oct. auction this year and said it was $12. I’m not sure if the price fluctuates based on the value of the book or not though.

Yes, I believe with all of these certification services such as grading, pressing, etc. the pricing fluctuates based upon the value of the book.  :gossip:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I would also agree and this should be completely expected because this is exactly the service that the submittor/consignor is paying for.  hm  

Similarly, if you are paying CGC to have a book graded, then you would expect a CGC 9.6 graded copy to actually be at a higher condition level than a CGC 9.0 or even a CGC 9.4 copy.  After all, isn't this the exact service which you are paying for when you submit a book into CGC?  (shrug)

With respect to the "CVA Exceptional" sticker, I actually think the "QES" sticker from ComicConnect imparts a bit more information to potential bidders.  Especially when the CVA sticker is just a generic sticker while the QES stickers on the back comes with a detailed itemization of the specific attributes that qualifies the book in question for this sticker.  (thumbsu

I got CVA on a book I just sold and it definitely helped. Here’s my Batman 232 9.6 sale on c-link compared to a 9.6 that just sold on eBay a week or so ago.

DE5A25B3-7B80-404B-AAB7-74B0F9A59C03.jpeg

924F5858-9C28-4DF2-B7F8-E710D1754E74.jpeg

17 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Yes, CL seems to be quite into this as I know of another consignor who got contacted with regards to a mid-grade CGC 4.0 or 4.5 graded copy of a classic cover book. 

He also said Yes and the book ended up selling for pretty big multiples to guide, although it is hard to say that this was 100% directly attributable to the sticker.  (shrug)

I am not yet aware of anybody being contacted by CC with respect to the QES sticker, as this one here seems to be much newer and haven't seen that many books with them to this point in time relative to the CVA Exceptional sticker.  hm

4 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I got CVA on a book I just sold and it definitely helped. Here’s my Batman 232 9.6 sale on c-link compared to a 9.6 that just sold on eBay a week or so ago.

DE5A25B3-7B80-404B-AAB7-74B0F9A59C03.jpeg

924F5858-9C28-4DF2-B7F8-E710D1754E74.jpeg

Well, I would say that this comparison here is probably a bit too close to call, especially since the higher price one is with a so-called brand name auction site, as opposed to the other one which is more questionable and subject to various types of potential scams.  hm  (shrug)

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, CL seems to be quite into this as I know of another consignor who got contacted with regards to a mid-grade CGC 4.0 or 4.5 graded copy of a classic cover book. 

He also said Yes and the book ended up selling for pretty big multiples to guide, although it is hard to say that this was 100% directly attributable to the sticker.  (shrug)

I am not yet aware of anybody being contacted by CC with respect to the QES sticker, as this one here seems to be much newer and haven't seen that many books with them to this point in time relative to the CVA Exceptional sticker.  hm

My book did well at auction, I had found it at an LCS and got it at a good price. A year later the winner showed up here and sold it for a third more. lol

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I would say that this comparison here is probably a bit too close to call, especially since the higher price one is with a so-called brand name auction site, as opposed to the other one which is more questionable and subject to various types of potential scams.  hm  (shrug)

You could definitely say that. To be honest though that $2076 sale was actually a solid sale. Bats 232 in 9.6 tends to average about $1800-$2100. So I can understand your reasoning but don’t think that played a role, as far as c-link compared to EBay.

9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
9 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I think a normal 9.8 sells for about $400-$450. The double signed one sold for $605. Got to love the power of the gem mint though. I mean nothing new lol. Pretty sure if that cute little New Mutants 98 CGC 10.0 ever hits the auction block it will break or come extremely close to $100K.

It did ! And it sold for 15.5K

https://trendingpopculture.com/new-mutants-98-1st-deadpool-cgc-10-0-sells-for-15449/

Any chance this might be our old economics professor, Boston Corbett, going for an upgrade on his CGC 9.9 graded copy which he picked up in the Sale Of The Year for only $12,250 way back in 2009 and then proceeded to lectured all of us on his purchase and how it was a 100% guaranteed sure fire winner:  :devil:

Needless to say, Thus endth the lesson.  lol

10 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

My book did well at auction, I had found it at an LCS and got it at a good price. A year later the winner showed up here and sold it for a third more. lol

Since you sold it at auction, I assume the book must have had a CVA sticker on it both times then?  hm

If so, the fact that the book sold for a third more a whole year later could simply be attributed to a rise in the value of the book itself.  Especially since the prices of certain books as we have seen over the past couple of years (and even in these few short months since the pandemic started in March) have shot up by a significant amount.  (thumbsu

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Since you sold it at auction, I assume the book must have had a CVA sticker on it both times then?  hm

If so, the fact that the book sold for a third more a whole year later could simply be attributed to a rise in the value of the book itself.  Especially since the prices of certain books as we have seen over the past couple of years (and even in these few short months since the pandemic started in March) have shot up by a significant amount.  (thumbsu

Yes it had a sticker both times. Bought it raw for $200.00, Sold at auction for $1200.00. resold here for $1800.00.

7 hours ago, szav said:
8 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Definitely possible in the foreseeable future a 9.8 may break $100K, I wouldn’t be surprised to see that.

The way the book is going now I expect to see this happen sooner rather than later... within a year or two or around the new movie reboot release.

With how recent the book is and the huge number of high grade copies slabbed already relative to its price in the marketplace, I would also not be surprised to see this even if there was no new movie release coming out.  hm

I believe all it would take would be one ot two well timed and shall we say, properly "priced" auction results or "sales" and I could easily see the flippers and day traders jumping onto the speeding TMNT 1 $100K+ bandwagon like there was no tomorrow.  :devil:

14 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Once you knew it could get the sticker, was there any temptation to crack, press, and try for the 9.8?

4 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Once you knew it could get the sticker, was there any temptation to crack, press, and try for the 9.8?

No because when I first got it graded I had it pressed already with CCS. So didn’t see the need to try again, but I thought I had a shot for a 9.8 initially. It was dare I say an “exceptional” 9.6 😁.

Edited by LDarkseid1

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
17 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yes, my thinking also in that a slabbed book with either a CVA Exceptional sticker or in particular, a QES sticker with the right qualifying criteria met should in theory stand a much higher chance for a successful upgrade through a CPR or if you are lucky, even a straight resub.  (thumbsu

After all, if it comes with a QES sticker and states tjat it has perfect staple placement, deep color strike, perfect edging, etc. or whatever, the biggest thing that might be holding it down then from hitting the next incremental grading level might either be due to overly tight grading or some near invisible NCB creases which CGC has applied their usual punishment grading to, and something which can be easily taken care nowadays.  hm  (shrug)