• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did you get your CGC survey...?
4 4

80 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, s-man said:

Do we get a free submission for completing it? hm

I kept waiting for a prize to compensate for the 25 minutes of my life I lost but...no cookie. 

And yes...they really did ask the names of the graders we knew! 

I had to guess about how many comics I have and their total worth. I really have no idea. 

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I put Litch, Caffrey, Nelson, Gemma, and Mike Balent.

I put Steve Borock. lol 

Am I banned now? 

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

from what i remember the ranges were  1-25k  25-50k  50-75k  75-100k .......

and probably 4 more boxes to check for incomes higher than that...

It stopped at $200K+.

The average income of their customer base could determine how they structure their service fees and options.For instance, if the majority of their customers make, say, $40k a year then they may develop a new discount tier to entice people with less disposable income to submit. If the majority of their customers make, say, $140k a year then they might eliminate tiers like Value and focus on tightening up the higher dollar tiers.

1 hour ago, wilbil said:

disposable income after taxes or gross income before taxes.

Disposable income is, by definition, income after taxes. However, if you are asking what the survey wanted to know then it was gross income before taxes.

I am just assuming that people with higher gross incomes have more disposable income, though that is not always going to be the case, depending on someone's specific fiduciary responsibilities.

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Disposable income is, by definition, income after taxes. However, if you are asking what the survey wanted to know then it was gross income before taxes.

I am just assuming that people with higher gross incomes have more disposable income, though that is not always going to be the case, depending on someone's specific fiduciary responsibilities.

i know. that was the point. the assumption is on the person making the assumption. these days it would likely be wrong.

9 minutes ago, wilbil said:

i know. that was the point. the assumption is on the person making the assumption. these days it would likely be wrong.

I have no idea what you are talking about. 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:41 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 2/26/2020 at 8:23 AM, skypinkblu said:

I would have answered further, but they asked too many personal questions that I really didn't want floating around on a non secure website. So I stopped after age, income, value of  your collection and one or two others.

Same here.  I stopped after the questionnaire asked me to list the names of the graders I knew. 

Did they also asked you to list your most valuable books and exactly where you stored them, along with the times you would not be home? lol

I too got the survey and completely filled it in as I really wanted to voice some of my concerns over the issues that have become not only common place , but now denied or down played as normal. ( label errors, Newton Rings, trash in the inner wells, turn around times, etc) someone mentioned how could there be 5 grading companies?  ( CGC , PGX , CBCS , Halo , EGS )  the main thing I took away from this survey was that they seem to be more interested in grading of other items. Stamps, Coins , Paper Notes  , Videos,  VHS , Sports and Non Sports Cards. The sections for these depending on what and how you answer GREATLY increased the length of the survey.  Although I made sure to mention that they needed to fix what they are doing before even considering to expand.

I was most intrigued by the question dealing with AI software and scanning equipment that would add “consistency” to grading. Not sure how I feel about that.

On 2/26/2020 at 10:27 AM, wilbil said:

yes. way to invasive questions. 

Meh. I don’t care sharing how much I make or spend on comics.

All you foos worried about privacy, then hop on your iPhones after passing your Ring camera on the way to your living room before telling Alexia to turn on your Anime stream. Lol

Privacy is a thing of the past.

9 hours ago, Ryan. said:

It stopped at $200K+.

The average income of their customer base could determine how they structure their service fees and options.For instance, if the majority of their customers make, say, $40k a year then they may develop a new discount tier to entice people with less disposable income to submit. If the majority of their customers make, say, $140k a year then they might eliminate tiers like Value and focus on tightening up the higher dollar tiers.

Everyone should choose the lowest income option! I haven't started yet but if there's a comment section at some point I'll say "I'm at the poverty line my house is being foreclosed on and I collect food stamps :frown: so since I cant shake my hobby please don't increase fees"!!!! "Consider lowering them"!

Edited by MGsimba77

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Meh. I don’t care sharing how much I make or spend on comics.

All you foos worried about privacy, then hop on your iPhones after passing your Ring camera on the way to your living room before telling Alexia to turn on your Anime stream. Lol

Privacy is a thing of the past.

Hahaha20200227_192223.jpg.5690d835eb9a38c69d7b3ce5d238d248.jpg

I took the survey and it asked if I think CGC should grade trading cards, videos, vinyl records and gaming cards. For trading cards, I said definitely. I used to send my cards to SGC until they quit the Collectors Society. I don't want to send my stuff to PSA and Beckett. PSA has way too many controversies going on right now and Beckett owns the graders across the street. Trading cards with the Collectors Society registry would be great!

4 hours ago, newshane said:

I was most intrigued by the question dealing with AI software and scanning equipment that would add “consistency” to grading.

This is the KEY to how CGC will reduce turnaround times: use A.I. scanning software programmed to grade front and back covers. Still need a human page counter ... for now before loss of slabbing jobs to a computer eye that can discern page quality from different publishers over different decades.

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 2/26/2020 at 10:41 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 2/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, skypinkblu said:

I would have answered further, but they asked too many personal questions that I really didn't want floating around on a non secure website. So I stopped after age, income, value of  your collection and one or two others.

Same here.  I stopped after the questionnaire asked me to list the names of the graders I knew. 

Did they also asked you to list your most valuable books and exactly where you stored them, along with the times you would not be home? lol

They actually forgot to ask that.  If you pm me that info I'll make sure to get it to them.

19 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

This is the KEY to how CGC will reduce turnaround times: use A.I. scanning software programmed to grade front and back covers. Still need a human page counter ... for now before loss of slabbing jobs to a computer eye that can discern page quality from different publishers over different decades.

I'm assuming it would be somewhat useful if every book was scanned by the outer covers but there are many things AI won't do.

AI won't be able to detect gloss at an angle, how the inside cover looks (and how much foxing or tanning goes through a cover), check for staples at the centerfold or look for interior defects.

So I'm assuming that CGC would then start having captured images of every book they scan?