• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Getting Heat For Sups 1 Handling on FaceBk
2 2

129 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Oh and using your bare hands is the way to go when flipping through comics, I've never used gloves. Whether it's a $1 book or a 5 figure book doesnt matter (of course I'm extra careful when handling more valuable books). Just dont have shaky hands and sweaty palms lol

Same here. I need to feel the book and try to assess with feel if any glue, solvent cleaning to cover. Need bare fingertips to activate those sensory nerves (thumbsu  Many seasoned collectors are quite comfortable handling vintage books having been around in the “raw in Mylar” days prior to third party grading. I suspect many collectors that prefer to use gloves when handling comics are newer collectors that may be nervous or new to handling books and are used to slabs. 

Edited by Primetime

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

On 3/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, s-dali said:

I had to laugh when I saw this one!!

20200303_134443.jpg

Yeah, welp.

Got their hands caught in the cheetos jar with that one.

However, for the video in question, that was not grading the comic. 

20 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Ha, yeah oils/fingerprints only transfer during grading, not merely handling.

But I know what you're saying. I think it was more directed at those who said CGC should NOT use gloves when grading because (and I agree as long as hands are clean) it's harder to handle more-delicate pages with gloves on, more likely to do damage with gloves on. You don't have the very fine touch needed.

Edited by jcjames

On 3/1/2020 at 7:10 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I have no issue with that handling.

Suppose you own a classic sports car. And you wanna see how well it performs on the track. Are you really gonna tell professional racecar driver guy who does this for a living and has for a long time to “drive slow and be careful”!?!

Granted, he could crash. Something could break on your car while he is driving. He could crash going quickly or slowly. But you paid him $50-100 to test your car and if he doesn’t do it the way you like then don’t bother paying him.

I’m not paying him to take out a key and see how hard he has to press it into the paint to damage it

16 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I’m not paying him to take out a key and see how hard he has to press it into the paint to damage it

No he's test driving the car...but not by your standards. I attempted an analogy. Maybe it failed?

My point is, while he puts pressure on that corner, the fold was already there. It was not manhandling nor was it the most cautious he could have been. I would have been fine with it, expecially given the lower grade. What he did would not make anything worse. 

46 minutes ago, jcjames said:

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

Ha, yeah oils/fingerprints only transfer during grading, not merely handling.

But I know what you're saying. I think it was more directed at those who said CGC should NOT use gloves when grading because (and I agree as long as hands are clean) it's harder to handle more-delicate pages with gloves on, more likely to do damage with gloves on. You don't have the very fine touch needed.

I don’t recall if I read a comment that CGC does not use gloves for grading or if it was a comment from CGC. If it was CGC, I have no idea why they have a picture showing gloves; unless their policy had changed? Or they are CYA right now. 

On 3/4/2020 at 5:27 AM, Poka said:

the Voldy boards have a spy? 😁

I am the spy.  Don't tell anyone though.  I want it to be a big surprise when I make my heel turn.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 7.55.37 PM.png

25 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am the spy.  Don't tell anyone though.  I want it to be a big surprise when I make my heel turn.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 7.55.37 PM.png

how can I report this post to the other board?

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

I don’t recall if I read a comment that CGC does not use gloves for grading or if it was a comment from CGC. If it was CGC, I have no idea why they have a picture showing gloves; unless their policy had changed? Or they are CYA right now. 

I think they should wear gloves, masks and spray all books with disinfectant  before handling.  

On 3/3/2020 at 6:43 PM, VintageComics said:

So what appears intimidating or fearful to the average bystander...

That's some generous benefit of the doubt given to the typical facebook comic book flipp...I mean "collector"

Edited by speedcake