• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sports cards vs Comics
4 4

174 posts in this topic

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

What about the value of a Lidstrom rookie card though?

I was shocked to see it. I thought it would be at least $300

He's only been retired for 7 years. My mom found a collection in a garage sale and bought it for $10. Lidstrom rookie card is in there. I was surprised that it's worth about $50. The value of sports cards never appealed to - I just liked collecting them as a kid (it's why I like HUT).

I suspect that the Nick rookie card will be worth much more when most hockey fans never watched him play live.

14 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

He's only been retired for 7 years. My mom found a collection in a garage sale and bought it for $10. Lidstrom rookie card is in there. I was surprised that it's worth about $50. The value of sports cards never appealed to - I just liked collecting them as a kid (it's why I like HUT).

I suspect that the Nick rookie card will be worth much more when most hockey fans never watched him play live.

I collected as a kid too. Around the time of Nik, Jaromir and Eric Lindros, but grew out of them. It really surprises me how the value of Comics has ascended but sports cards hasn't as much unless they are rare

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I collected as a kid too. Around the time of Nik, Jaromir and Eric Lindros, but grew out of them. It really surprises me how the value of Comics has ascended but sports cards hasn't as much unless they are rare

Sports cards are not the genesis of their content. Bobby Orr was created by his parents. Fantastic Four was created by Marvel. Originality matters.

There is no raw Lidstrom rookie worth $50. If you ware talking about the OPC premier error card it’s not his rookie. All his rookies can be bought for $3 or less. His cards came out in 1991-92 when the market was folded with sets. He do have some really cool ones but none raw ungraded goes for more than $3. I have lots of them all, if anyone wants to pay $50 each drop me a pm 😁

Edited by kidcolt

58 minutes ago, kidcolt said:

There is no raw Lidstrom rookie worth $50. If you ware talking about the OPC premier error card it’s not his rookie. All his rookies can be bought for $3 or less. His cards came out in 1991-92 when the market was folded with sets. He do have some really cool ones but none raw ungraded goes for more than $3. I have lots of them all, if anyone wants to pay $50 each drop me a pm 😁

Talking PSA graded

But you are right

I think his only real RC is upper deck

Isn't it?

On 3/20/2020 at 3:13 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

Talking PSA graded

But you are right

I think his only real RC is upper deck

Isn't it?

No he also has Opc Premier, Topps, Upper Deck, Pinnacle and Parkhurst. Might have missed something but I think that’s it. Even PSA 10 don’t go very high,  his cards are so mass produced. Great player and highly collected. It’s great that his cards and all rookies from those years are affordable for fans.

On 3/21/2020 at 5:01 PM, kidcolt said:

No he also has Opc Premier, Topps, Upper Deck, Pinnacle and Parkhurst. Might have missed something but I think that’s it. Even PSA 10 don’t go very high,  his cards are so mass produced. Great player and highly collected. It’s great that his cards and all rookies from those years are affordable for fans.

You forgot Score. I should know because I bought a case. :tonofbricks:

10 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

You forgot Score. I should know because I bought a case. :tonofbricks:

I did. However I love the first couple years of score. Mass produced but like you I opened a lot of it. That was a fun time to collect. Seemed like everyone was collecting and you could buy packs of cards everywhere. I miss those years and the excitement of the hobby plus how cheap it was.

Defenseman don't sell unless they are a scoring defenseman even Paul Coffey don't sell.  I have the only graded comic on eBay (none have sold at that grade in 2 years) and I have a graded card on eBay (rare, like only 2 on eBay right now).  My graded comic gets around 300 views, but my graded card has like 1450 views.  $ is in cards, but safe and mature buyers are in comics.  

6 hours ago, bloodwings19 said:

Defenseman don't sell unless they are a scoring defenseman even Paul Coffey don't sell.  I have the only graded comic on eBay (none have sold at that grade in 2 years) and I have a graded card on eBay (rare, like only 2 on eBay right now).  My graded comic gets around 300 views, but my graded card has like 1450 views.  $ is in cards, but safe and mature buyers are in comics.  

This years hottest  2 Rookies are Dmen. Makar and Hughes are both exciting players and selling really well. The NHL is all about the new current crop of rookies, here today forgotten tomorrow. Modern current cards is all about the big hit, the flashier the better. 

I got these in today that were free with my Dave and Adams purchase... 2 of them: Tyler Colvin autographed Upper Deck Certified COA and Sticker ...

20200326_143735.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM